Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 586 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

How much bandwidth do you use a month?

Thread title: How much bandwidth do you use a month?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
04-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Gethin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gethin

Old

wow! for what site may i ask? (Tekime)

04-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Adam is offline Adam
Software:

Adam is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by sweeney
Right now it's between 16-18 GB a month. (Some sites are graphics-heavy, others are not.)

It's amazing how little bandwidth a non-graphics site can consume, while still getting decent pageviews. And on the other hand, I know of one webmaster who uses a ton of bandwidth (something like 150 GB or something) and yet her pageviews were less than mine. Go figure.
was your source code alot tidier than hers? if shes filled her source with crap it will hammer the bandwidth.

04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
farm is offline farm
Expertise:
Software:

farm is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to farm

Old

im maxing out my 600 GB / month.. i need a third server !

04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
sweeney is offline sweeney
Expertise:
Software:

sweeney is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Adam
was your source code alot tidier than hers? if shes filled her source with crap it will hammer the bandwidth.
I'm not really sure. I am not a great web designer (I use simple designs), while her designs are far more attractive and sophisticated. Her site is very graphics-heavy (by necessity, it's a graphics site) and she uses a lot of graphics for navigation, while I use text links.

I was shocked at her page views vs. bandwidth because I also have some graphics-intensive sites too, yet my bandwidth is so much less. But I design things simpler (people with old computers and browsers can still view my sites), so perhaps that accounts for it. I guess there's something to be said for keeping things simple and unsophisticated!

04-18-2005, 10:44 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Are you sure she didn't have a) large images b) media for download? The result of high bandwidth usage on many sites are video files, music files or poor compression of images.

04-18-2005, 10:56 PM
sweeney is offline sweeney
Expertise:
Software:

sweeney is on a distinguished road

Old

No, no video. Just jpg graphics, that sort of thing. Of course I have not perused all areas of her site, but I don't think there is any video anywhere.

I think it might be partly that her site is all about graphics, where I have graphics/text and in some areas, mostly text. And her site design relies heavily on graphics. (It's very attractive.)

My biggest site is a blend of graphics and text. Actually, a lot of text. The graphics are important but I optimize them so they aren't too terribly bloated (I hope). I think we have a different approach to how we design our sites. Perhaps she's exaggerating a bit on her bandwidth (I wouldn't think so, but I only have her word for it), but her Alexa ranking doesn't lie. I would expect with that much bandwidth, she'd rank much higher than she does. Not that she does badly, but just not as high as I had originally assumed.

04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Expertise: Web Design & Development
Software:

Tekime is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by n0vi
wow! for what site may i ask? (Tekime)
Well, I have four servers and a whole pile of web sites, but the most bandwidth consumed by one site would be www.fury-tech.com.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3