Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1392 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

TalkFreelance MASSIVE Rules Change

Thread title: TalkFreelance MASSIVE Rules Change
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
05-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old  TalkFreelance MASSIVE Rules Change

TalkFreelance.com members,

The staff have reviewed and now revised the rules base and some changes to how discipline works within these forums has changed.

http://www.talkfreelance.com/rules.php

We have moved to a method which will be heavily based off of the infraction system already in place.

Each one of the rules now carries a defined consequence that you are subject to should you break the rule which we administrators will be having the subsequent staff adhere to.

** The infraction given will be titled based upon the section of rules you have violated. Should you have any question about which specific rule (number) the infraction refers to, reply to the notification.

We will slowly be getting all rule pages converted over to the new set once we seek them all out and then modify them. Should you see a section within the site where the old rules are still displayed please contact me directly via PM.

The new system will apply an appropriate ban according to the number of points that you have accumulated. This hierarchy has been in place for quite a while now, but to make you all aware:

At three (3) points you receive a 1 day ban (visit to the Sin Bin forum).
At six (6) you then take a 3 day vacation.
Then with 9 points you will enjoy a week off.
Twelve (12) points - two weeks banned.
Fifteen (15) points - one month banned.
Eighteen (18) points - three months banned.
Twenty one (21) points - permanent ban.

** I shouldn't have to say this; however, there are cases where staff will evaluate a member's status within the forum and ban according should we see fit.

All points given for community and marketplace violations do not expire. Signature rule violations will expire after three months (ultimately decreasing your point total).

You will find that some rules carry an automatic permanent ban (21 points).

Any questions or concerns can be brought to this thread, or directly to myself via private message.

We are currently working on revising the marketplace forums, the guides as well as the stickies found within those forums. I will be adding to the F.A.Q over the next few days, so should you run into a new member looking for answers please direct them to the FAQ, the Rules or educated them appropriately - Thanks.

Regards,
Jeff

ALSO watch for the marketplace to be revised later tonight.

05-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

Great! Finally TFL looks to be on the right road! Thanks Jeff

05-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

Fascists.

Can you elaborate on / give an example of this?:

Selling/requesting/advertising a product or service of which the copyright is not owned by you or attempting to do so is prohibited.

05-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Software:

Old

Thanks Gary, has been amended. Next time just pm, rather than calling us fascists over a typo.

05-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

The first part was unrelated light-hearted banter.

I didn't realise it was a typo. I just didn't understand it.

05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I've got a few minor comments, which I'll air publicly simply because others might have the same questions.

Community Rule 4.1
Advertising of a website, product or service that a user has any affiliation within anywhere other than the marketplace is prohibited.
What about the Member Website Announcements and Member Introductions forums? They're common places for people to advertise their websites, especially the former. The associated definition (tacked on to Community Rule 4.2) clearly states no naming or linking to websites.

Community Rule 7
The reasoning behind this is sound and I can understand why such a rule might be put in place, however that means posts in topics like the hookah one (which in parts discusses the legality/illegality of weed in different places) would have resulted in infractions. Perhaps make it clear that the staff make the final calls as to whether discussions cross the line because at the moment it sounds a little too uncompromising.

Marketplace Rule 2
Regarding comments on pricing, again I understand the reasoning for this rule but sometimes the price is ridiculous (either far too low or too high, it works both ways) and this rule seems to say that any comment on the pricing of an item/service would result in an infraction. This rule focuses on the negative comments, what about the old rule on positive comments? Does this rule set allow members now to post simple "good luck with the sale" or "nice template, your work is awesome" replies again?

Marketplace Rules 5, 6 & 8
If a user is looking for quotes on a job and posts in the regular (non-budget) forum when it should be in the budget forum, and doesn't report the incorrect placement him/herself, would the infractions group together to 3 points?

Another point regarding the 10 posts system. Do/will certain forums still not count towards those (or any) 10 posts? The new rules don't make mention of any such non-post-incrementing forums, unless I missed it.

Good work in redrafting the rules. Hopefully the organisation will be a little tidier and more amenable for new (and old) members to get fully versed in them. Hopefully there'll be less "I have 5/10 posts, why can't I do x/y/z!"

05-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Software:

Old

Hi Salathe,

Thanks for your comments/suggestions on the new rules.
I've been making a couple amendments (they're going to be an ongoing project from here on out) you'll find I've made it more clear in areas you've suggested.

As for advertising in the introductions forum, this is something that has been frowned upon but not necessarily enforced (be it staffing levels, lack of effort, or sheer oversight -- who knows). I've place a rule, more of a notification, that users still require 25 posts to post in the MWA forum as well as amended the rule stating that it pertains to the MP and Signatures.

As for Community Rules 7, I understand where you're coming from. I've adjusted it to say it's at the staffs discretion as to where the line is drawn as well as to have members report thing they're uncomfortable seeing in the forum. I think healthy discussion about said activities is fine, but when it becomes discussing the procurement or enacting of certain offenses (ie. warez) is where that is coming from -- it's hard to put that into words.

As for the 'reinforcing/positive' comments in the marketplace, I think we will be leaving this one open for right now to see how the community acts. If it becomes one of the major spots where the newbies come to 10-post their way into the marketplace we will be making a revision, but yet for now it's free game; however, it will have to adhere to Community Rule 6 and be constructive to remain (see disclaimer 2 at top of rules page).

I can see where your concern comes about the totaling of the points for the scenario given, I will be updating it to be a bit more clear. Though yes, under the current rules and infraction structure a user may be subject to multiple infractions based upon one action.

I will add a note at the top of the rules referencing the fact that not all forums increase your post total.

Regards,
Jeff

05-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Quick overview of some things that should probably be fixed

Bumping threads is strictly prohibited.
Consequence: 1pt infraction.
While it is strictly prohibited, the consequence is equal to any other offense. I would remove the strictly part or raise the punishment.

You need a rule to the effect of "Anything that is clearly detrimental to the community at a moderator or administrators discretion." that gives the staff discretion over things that may not be covered in the rules, but need to be dealt with.

Lastly, you should add a tip at the end that if you are not sure if something violates the rules or not, ask a staff member.

You may also want to delete the stickies in the marketplace made by Julian and myself. Not only are we no longer staff, the rules are now invalid.

My threads are at:
http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread31558.html
http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread31555.html
http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread31554.html
http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread31556.html
http://www.talkfreelance.com/thread31560.html

Otherwise the new rules are very good.

05-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Software:

Old

Thanks for those suggestions VI. I'll amend the strictly.

I think that it's a given that staff ultimately have rule over the site, though, I'll add it anyway.

As for the marketplace guidelines, Ryan is reworking those for relaunch, can't speak for his progress though.

Regards,
Jeff

05-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Cool, thanks.

And who is Ryan?

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >