Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1160 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

web 2.0 (rant)

Thread title: web 2.0 (rant)
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
06-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old  web 2.0 (rant)

I could just be that ive been in an annoyable mood today, but I am simply sick of people saying web 2.0 is the newest thing to hit the internet, and that this design is web 2.0. I got news, WEB 2.0 IS NOT NEW! Most people associate web 2.0 with RSS feeds and ajax (another over-used term) stuff like that, but RSS has been around since 2000, its had stuff like it since 1995 (source: wiki). AJAX isnt new either, it is just using javascript with XML, it has been possible for years, it just hasn't been used. So if you think about it, web2.0 not only isnt new, it doesnt really exist. It would be exactly the same if I somehow brought RoR to as much use as PHP and started calling RoR new, and the technology I use web 4.0. Web 2.0 is nothing a collections of old (web 1.0 for lack of a better term) web techs and hype.

I am almost ready to hurt anyone who says that their design is web 3.0 with seriousness.

06-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Marky is offline Marky
Expertise:
Software:

Marky is on a distinguished road

Old

I like to consider myself web 4.0... *Puts up his shield*
Heh just kidding
Web 2.0 has become so popular, I usually tend to stay away from marketplace topics that say "Great Web 2.0 Template" unless it's started by a trusted designer...

06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Xuxa is offline Xuxa
Expertise:
Software:

Xuxa is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Xuxa

Old

That is true and I did make my mistakes by calling my templates/logos web 2.0 so I guess I should call them web 3.0 right? (JK)

06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

Img911 is Web 0.5b.

Don't hurt me. :$

06-27-2007, 03:58 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I could just be that ive been in an annoyable mood today, but I am simply sick of people saying web 2.0 is the newest thing to hit the internet, and that this design is web 2.0. I got news, WEB 2.0 IS NOT NEW! Most people associate web 2.0 with RSS feeds and ajax (another over-used term) stuff like that, but RSS has been around since 2000, its had stuff like it since 1995 (source: wiki). AJAX isnt new either, it is just using javascript with XML, it has been possible for years, it just hasn't been used. So if you think about it, web2.0 not only isnt new, it doesnt really exist. It would be exactly the same if I somehow brought RoR to as much use as PHP and started calling RoR new, and the technology I use web 4.0. Web 2.0 is nothing a collections of old (web 1.0 for lack of a better term) web techs and hype.

I am almost ready to hurt anyone who says that their design is web 3.0 with seriousness.
<3

beat them with html books.

06-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

To be honest, it either sounds like you (VI) don't know what Web 2.0 is all about or as you said, you're just in an annoyable mood. It's fine and dandy ranting about what Web 2.0 isn't (I dislike that just as much as you do) but to say that it doesn't exist is laughable. Strange how people hold conferences and the like, earn thousands if not millions using the term, if it does not exist.

To label something as a "web 2.0" design/logo/wp-theme/blah in the marketplace here, I agree, is just latching onto buzzwords (and misusing them!) for the sake of driving visitors to the sales topic. Nothing more. If the designers truely feel that their work is really "web 2.0" then just stand back and laugh to yourself as they broadcast their ignorance across the 'net. We all need a good chuckle.

P.S. I won't disagree that many of the 'web 2.0 technologies' have been around for a while, nay a long time, that much is true. But then again, is Web 2.0 just a bunch of technologies? Answers on a post card to salathe@talkfreelance.com (Not a real email!).

P.P.S. If I recall correctly (I'm too lazy to do a Google search) the term "Web 2.0" was introduced back in 2003. That, by internet standards, is indeed old.

06-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Old

Care to explain what web 2.0 is then?

and web2.0 came around in '05

06-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Wikipedia has a good page about Web 2.0, so to save me typing, go read it.

06-27-2007, 07:18 PM

Old

Originally Posted by wiki
# Level 3 applications, the most "Web 2.0" oriented, which could only exist on the Internet, deriving their power from the human connections and network effects that Web 2.0 makes possible, and growing in effectiveness the more people use them. O'Reilly's examples were: eBay, craigslist, Wikipedia, del.icio.us, Skype, dodgeball and Adsense.
# Level 2 applications, which can operate offline but which gain advantages from going online. O'Reilly cited Flickr, which benefits from its shared photo-database and from its community-generated tag database.
# Level 1 applications, also available offline but which gain features online. O'Reilly pointed to Writely (now part of Google Docs & Spreadsheets) and iTunes (because of its music-store portion).
# Level 0 applications, which would work as well offline. O'Reilly gave the examples of MapQuest, Yahoo! Local and Google Maps. Mapping applications using contributions from users to advantage can rank as "level 2".
This isnt new at all, sites like amazon have existed since the 90's and would qualify as a level 3 (web 2.0) applications. Blogs and message boards have also existed for a long time, by definition they are web 2.0. The wiki article really advances my point. My claim that web 2.0 doesnt exist at all, rather is just a catchphrase is perfectly valid. The way I see it, web 2.0 is just a naming fad like iProduct, it will take the same path in a few years that eProduct did.

06-27-2007, 09:18 PM
sskhalsa is offline sskhalsa
Expertise:
Software:

sskhalsa is on a distinguished road

Old

i love web 2.0

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >