Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1024 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Is vBulletin really needed?

Thread title: Is vBulletin really needed?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
01-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Aros is offline Aros
Expertise:
Software:

Aros is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by ULTiMATE
Some are missing the point.

I am paying for a FORUM. I'm not paying for anything else but a nice, clean forum. If all the bells and whistles were necessary, then I'd definately choose vBulletin. However, I fail to see a real reason to pay for vBulletin anymore when I can get something like SMF. A forum script that works just as well as vBulletin and has a lot of the nice features vB has through mods for free.
What's the point of this discussion if you already have made up your mind?

01-04-2006, 01:18 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

Originally Posted by Aros
What's the point of this discussion if you already have made up your mind?
That's the thing. I haven't.

I refuse to make up my mind properly before I've actually had a good play around with the vB3 templating system and code. The point of this thread was for people to give me their opinions on vB3 based on their experience with using it compared to a lot of the other forums out there nowadays.

01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
RS is offline RS
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop CS, Firefox

RS is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by sm0ke
Either or. IPB or vB are great pieces of software.

I agree.

01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Nirvana- is offline Nirvana-
Expertise:
Software:

Nirvana- is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by ULTiMATE
A forum script that works just as well as vBulletin and has a lot of the nice features vB has through mods for free.
I find it funny that you praise another forum script for having a lot of nice features, but yet you denounce vB, "the features weighed it down a lot". I guess the features dont weigh it down, they just arent the features that you choose to utilize.
And, you say you are going to be purchasing a peice of forum software regardless.. SMF is free
My #1 choice would still be vb, hands down.

01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
htmlmaster is offline htmlmaster
Software:

htmlmaster is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to htmlmaster

Old

Heck no, I get along fine with SMF, but you have to admit, VB is by far the best.

01-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Dante is offline Dante
Expertise:
Software:

Dante is on a distinguished road

Old

I used to use phpbb, but when my forum got busy, my web host started to urge me to switch over to vbulletin, telling me it was less server intensive. Couple of months after that, my host insisted I make the switch and didn't give me any choice. Make the switch or find a new host. I made the switch because I like my host and never had a problem with them before that.

From the admin side, I honestly didn't see much difference in useful functions between phpbb and what was then vb3....But my members it turns out like vb better. They find it more user friendly and more comfortable, probably because that's the forum type they're most used to seeing.

All in all though, I don't see using phpbb or IPB instead of vb to be all that big of a deal from the user side of things. It's not like a lot of people will show up to your site, see an IPB forum for example and say "eew, it's an IPB forum, I'm outta here". To users, as long as it looks nice, and they know how to use it, it probably doesn't mean very much.

Ya gotta ask whether a new forum has less of a chance at growing if it's phpbb or IPB than it does if it's vb. If everything else is the same, I don't think it makes any real difference that's gonna make or break a new forum.

01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Sam Granger is offline Sam Granger
Expertise:
Software:

Sam Granger is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Sam Granger

Old

I'd say IPB is the best forum software out at the moment, however vBulletin is also quite good. Lot of options etc...

However, if you just need something simple, i'd suggest the following:
MyTopix
MyBB
PHPBB
SMF

01-06-2006, 07:50 AM
dojo is offline dojo
Expertise: Wordpress, web design
Software: Photoshop, Crimson Editor

dojo is on a distinguished road

Old

For me it's not needed. I have installed on my phpBB site all hacks I need. I have an unique theme (customized one and recreated headers and tables). I am prepared to mod it once again since I have other ideas.

As for VB lookign proffesionaL? It's got one of the worst looking default skins even *IPB is more beautiful out of the box, not to mention a good admin has to mod and tweak the forums to make them stand out. Buying a 200 USD script and just installing it doesn't make the forums good or proffessional.

PhpBB is bad out of the box. But if you have some time on your hand and you're not afraind of some photoshopping and code change, then you have have some AWESOME results.

Not to mention VB COSTS a lot ...

01-06-2006, 07:55 AM
sebsn is offline sebsn
Expertise:
Software:

sebsn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to sebsn Send a message via AIM to sebsn Send a message via MSN to sebsn Send a message via Yahoo to sebsn

Old

i never tried vBulletin... i only used SMF because its free ^^

01-07-2006, 10:20 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

Originally Posted by Nirvana-
I find it funny that you praise another forum script for having a lot of nice features, but yet you denounce vB, "the features weighed it down a lot". I guess the features dont weigh it down, they just arent the features that you choose to utilize.
And, you say you are going to be purchasing a peice of forum software regardless.. SMF is free
My #1 choice would still be vb, hands down.
I have no need for a reputation system, hybrid/threaded views, multuple user groups or anything else along those lines. All I want is a forum. Everyone seems to push AJAX and other such features for vBulletin nowadays, which is why I pointed out that many other forum scripts have them. Sure, I could remove features using the Admin CP. Why should I pay for a better forum script when the others work just as well?

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >