Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1971 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

The state of the design industry.

Thread title: The state of the design industry.
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

Fair point. I stand corrected.

02-12-2008, 08:26 PM
<!--Ryan--> is offline <!--Ryan-->
Expertise:
Software:

<!--Ryan--> is on a distinguished road

Old

Here is what I was meant to say regarding this subject. The first post got in to more of a rant then a post with no structure.

Where the website design industry is at in this moment in time is not somewhere it should be in my option. It is very hard to find unique designs and styles coming through by some so called “designers”. A good amount coming through via CSS galleries that people are calling good decent design are not. They all might seem good at the first look and even the second. But there are no trend setters or really unique designs so far. This is because of the K.I.S.S approach that is the norm at this moment in time. I can see resemblances of the Simple bits layout in most designs all be it with three sections horizontally and images added etc. I even know I am guilty of this so I am not berating people.

I really think as a design whole we need CSS3 to come rather sooner than later. I know this is a technology but we as a community have pushed its layout ideas as far as we can (or know and there’s not enough time or point in trying to re invent the wheel here).

With the introduction of CSS3 there will be new possibilities of arrangement of things elements etc that we do have not thought about yet. So this might break the Two/Three Column sites that we are all used to.
Regarding the part of stylists from the first post that I made here, I still am under the same idea that we do need the bubble to burst to move away from the hobbyist’s and the people that are just designing to make it similar to this site or just because a gradient looks pretty here.

Design is problem solving, everything has to have a reason behind the choice of every element. There is a reason to add a gradient or a faded out divider, not just because it looks cool and other people are using them. This is the difference between stylists and the good Designers of our trade.
If we get a bubble burst this could eliminate a good section of these stylists and to be honest I hope it does. If there is no reason behind the choices that you make you ARE NOT a designer you ARE a stylist.

I was talking to Anthony about this on MSN and he didn’t agree, like he has not in this post but this is my opinion and everyone is allowed Thiers.

There is a lot of money in this industry but this is because it is fairly new compared to others. This however will slowly dwindle down and down. Business will always need websites and online presence. There will always be money in online advertisements and new website application start-up businesses but the money will not be the amount it is at now.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2