Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 559 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Vector Graphics

Thread title: Vector Graphics
Closed Thread    
12-24-2007, 12:07 PM
ATONLINE is offline ATONLINE
Software:

ATONLINE is on a distinguished road

Old  Vector Graphics

I come from a software dev background but getting in to web dev.

And i dont have much experience with graphics. I hear Vector drawing is an important skill.

Any ideas where to start with this ? I mean i have had limited art classes in the past. But im fairly good at sketching.

which software do you recommend me starting on ? Illustrator, Freehand, fireworks ?
and where can i get tutorials ? thanks

12-24-2007, 05:45 PM
flez is offline flez
Expertise:
Software:

flez is on a distinguished road

Old

You want to do web design? If so, vector graphics are a bit more secondary for the web because the majority of the images on the web need to be raster images (jpg, gif, others...) Sure ou can learn vector graphics for illustrations or logos, but if the objective of the work is for the web only, you're better with software like Photoshop. It's easier (in my opinion) to design websites with it than Illustrator (or other vector applications, but I believe Illustrator is the best, and I think Freehand doesn't exist anymore) But I think Fireworks can be a good solution also, although I see it more like a replacement for Imageready since the Adobe/Macromedia merge.

12-24-2007, 06:50 PM
blee90 is offline blee90
Software:

blee90 is on a distinguished road

Old

Like Flez said, graphics on the web don't need to be vectorized, unless you plan to do something that requires a vectored image.

If you plan to do work for commercial use, then you will need to do vector images because usually they like to resize and do other work with the image(s) you provide them. But generally for logos.

12-27-2007, 01:27 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

if you're going to try to do any design work that any sort of artistic element to it, the ability to create vector graphics (read: use the pen tool) is a must. no question.

i had no idea how important my illustrating skills were until i started working at my new job. we don't do full vector drawings, they come out looking realistic with textures and so forth, but i've got the pen tool in use at least 60% of the time. second to that would be text for inputting content.

edit: just because your final output is a raster/bitmap image doesn't mean the ability to work with vector paths isn't needed.

12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
igauresh is offline igauresh
Software:

igauresh is on a distinguished road

Old

well if u are just jumping into web development then vectors wouldnt be that good a thing to start with. You can first try to learn some simple photoshop techniques and proper application of layer styles and gradients before going into vectors.

Though vectors are important but then there is pretty much a lot you can do without them too.

12-31-2007, 09:15 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

ndesign-studio.com has the best tuts imo. Watch the pen tool video, it gave me all the foundation I needed to start learning how to draw on my own.

01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
redcell is offline redcell
Software:

redcell is on a distinguished road

Old

Well For web design I don't see why you need illustrator, Photoshop would be the perfect candidate for this.

For Logos and Etc then you need illustrator

Closed Thread