Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1505 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Copyright

Thread title: Copyright
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
04-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Gethin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gethin

Old  Copyright

I must admit I'm really confused by copyright.

I've heard that if you have proof that you've made or own something you can just slam the copyright icon on it and if anyone tries to take it sew (spellin?) em.

Then I've heard that you have to pay to copyright things.

Which one is it?

Oh and please try to help by not sending me links to sites ive looked through many and am still confused.

What I'm mainly asking for is because of a new project coming up. An Article website just for freelancers, im hiring writers to write the article's but I want them copyrighted to the site itself (which is fine by all the writers) but how do I go about gaining copyright to such things so no one else can nick them and in the case that they do I could take action.

04-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Expertise: Web Design & Development
Software:

Tekime is on a distinguished road

Old

When you create something, you automatically possess the copyright to that thing upon making it. No registration required. If somebody steals your work you may be able to prove ownership and have a court of law force them to stop using it.

If you want the ability to sue for monetary compensation when someone steals your work, you need to register your copyright.

If you are purchasing the rights to a copyrighted work from someone else, that person needs to agree to giving you full rights.

04-20-2005, 01:44 AM
BlaineSch is offline BlaineSch
Expertise: Web Applications
Software: Notepad++

BlaineSch is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BlaineSch Send a message via MSN to BlaineSch Send a message via Yahoo to BlaineSch Send a message via Skype™ to BlaineSch

Old

That's awesome ill try that. I also read somewere that the "TM" sign is a unregistered thing and can be used anywere and so you can force somebody to stop using it, but if what Tekime said is true im throwing that "C" symbol on my work.

04-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Software:

Old

Trademarks (TM) are a little different. You need to register a trademark with the USPTO. Trademarks protect intellectual property like a company's motto or symbol. For example a professional logo designer needs to not only come up with good designs, but understand intellectual property law and avoid infringements when they create.

Here's a little article I put together if you're curious about trademark infringement:

http://www.gabrielharper.com/en/Arti...k-Infringement

But yes, you have every right to slap those © symbols on all your stuff.

04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Im purchasing articles off writers with exclusive rights, so does this include copyright?

Thanks for everything so far

(on a side note Tekime, would you be interested in writing freelance articles? if so pm me )

04-20-2005, 07:43 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I wouldn't have thought so, you will need to obtain full rights for ownership of those articles...usually exclusive just means it's only being sold to that person (But you wouldn't own the copyrights to the actual material)

04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Ive told all writers (apart from you if you do any ) that I need exclusive rights and full rights to the publishing of each article, and that im basically buying the article off them it would no longer be theirs.

04-20-2005, 08:26 PM
BlaineSch is offline BlaineSch
Expertise: Web Applications
Software: Notepad++

BlaineSch is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BlaineSch Send a message via MSN to BlaineSch Send a message via Yahoo to BlaineSch Send a message via Skype™ to BlaineSch

Old

yikes, there is lots I didnt know.

04-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by How2Freelance
Im purchasing articles off writers with exclusive rights, so does this include copyright?
It all depends on the agreement. Exclusive rights would grant you and only you the right to publish and distribute the content, but unless the writer agreed to give ownership of the content you probably couldn't claim it as your own. (What Robson said basically ). Think of exclusive rights as a license for use as opposed to an agreement of ownership.

But you can specify the terms as you need. I would say clearly to your writers that upon payment you assume complete and total ownership of the material, including the copyright.

Thanks for everything so far

(on a side note Tekime, would you be interested in writing freelance articles? if so pm me )
No prob! About writing I would love to if I had the time, but honestly I would have to charge an arm and a leg to make it worth my while. I wouldn't mind finding some good writers myself for some of my sites!

Best of luck with everything.

04-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Thanks for all the detail!
will come in handy.

hope you find those writers

Closed Thread