Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1202 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Can anyone be a coder?

Thread title: Can anyone be a coder?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
03-11-2005, 11:23 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

IMO

You can be okay at both.

You can be great at one and okay at the other.

But you can't be great at both.

03-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Travis is offline Travis
Software:

Travis is on a distinguished road

Old

I think you really need to know how the brain works to answer that question. Someone in neuroscience could probably provide a better answer this question.

I think that anyone can learn to code including designers. The only problem is that if designers spend more time coding they will not develop their design skills as rapidly.

03-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Panther is offline Panther
Software:

Panther is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by derek.l
yes anybody can be a coder. it will come easier to some than others, but there's no mystical boundry preventing sombody from doing it. i picked up html when ifirst strated using it fairly easy, and i'm looking at people in my html class this semtester going crosseyed from learning how to contruct a table. => they're simply not picking up the syntax as clearly as i did and all the characters confuse them. show them a doctype and they think it's latin. it's just a matter of exposure and will power.

i'm going to have to sit down and have a long talk with you then, because i don't like your choice of words. i can design and code to a high standard and my knowleadge base is far from minimal when it comes to design or programming.

any idiot can learn to program something, it's layout a set of instructions. some will have better methods than others, but the end result is still the same. if you have the creativity for design, you should easily be able to construct and end result and figure out the steps to achieve it.

I entirely agree with dereck.l, programming does not require creativity to do. Basic math skills are sufficient to become a programmer. As of for designing, I think if you can at least copy someoneelse's work without the knowing how, your automatically a designer. Designing is basically like painting, its the way we intrepret the world around us, using those observations we can make cool things. An example would be the famous glass effect that's all over the www , if we never saw a ball, or a marble, or even a piece of metal there would not be any "GLASS" effect.

03-12-2005, 06:53 AM
Panther is offline Panther
Software:

Panther is on a distinguished road

Old

I totaly disagree with you Travis.

I know bout two people that I perfectly know and they both have at least a masters degree in two fields. You'd be surprised on what we are capable of doing once we set out our minds to it.

There is no limit, and if there was we will never be wise enough to figure out what and when it will be. Our (humans) minds are so sophisticated and complicated we can't even understand ourselves. Regardless of knowledge such as phsycology. Every day, every second comes a new discovery on our mental behavior. One example of a person that we all know that pushed the limits, is Albert Einstein. I don't know wether or not he knew several things other than math, but he used only bout 40% of his brain and he was a genious. My point is that you cannot determine that having a very high potential in several fields is impossible since we are mentally evoluating time to time.

03-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Travis is offline Travis
Software:

Old

I never said it was impossible to have a masters degree in two fields.

03-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Travis is offline Travis
Software:

Old

I am sure that those people that have a masters degree in two fields would be better at a single field if they devoted more time to it. The only exception is where the two fields cross over and understanding of one helps the other.

03-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

If you want to learn it; its not that hard with conviction to pick it up. Not everybody can be a coder - because then we wouldn't need coders

03-13-2005, 01:01 AM
botbe40 is offline botbe40
Expertise:
Software:

botbe40 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to botbe40

Old  coding

I have a friend who went to college to do all sorts of neat computer stuff. He helped me by sending me to Google with my coding request.
Guess what, there are lots of free programs to use that code for you. Of course you can buy some too, but I'm too old to play around with this stuff, unless it pays REAL GOOD. I'll use the free stuff and tweak it if I have to.
HTML code generator and so on.

03-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Well said Salathe, I couldn't seem to get it out lol.
That's why I'm here.

03-14-2005, 06:53 AM
sysblnk is offline sysblnk
Software:

sysblnk is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't think anyone can be a coder. Believe it or not some people just don't have the mental capacity to grasp the concepts needed in coding. Most people could learn how to code and be quite fluent in programming, like learning to speak spanish or any other language. Some people pick it up quicker than others but most people are able to get it eventually. On the other hand if you're a creative person it's a big plus in programming too not only design. If you think of some idea that is totally out of this world you have just gotten past one of the biggest steps in creating a new application... the idea. Creativity can also help you strive to learn new techniques and shortcuts in your apps instead of making everything straight forward.

Thats just my two cents.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >