Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1011 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     .NET and MSSQL :

ASP.NET for Web Designers

Thread title: ASP.NET for Web Designers
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
rsrobbins is offline rsrobbins
Software:

rsrobbins is on a distinguished road

Old  ASP.NET for Web Designers

I'm a freelance ASP.NET web developer looking to transition to more web design work. I've noticed that there is very little interest in ASP.NET in the world of web design. Web designers appear to do very little "coding" except for CSS, which isn't a true programming language. I've been reading web design blogs and browsing http://www.designfloat.com/, a DIGG site for web designers, and I don't find anything about ASP.NET. There does seem to be a little interest in PHP because many web designers work on themes for WordPress.

I'm beginning to feel the need to acquire web design skills or at least collaborate with a web designer because there are many opportunities that require you to straddle the worlds of design and code. For example, widgets are based on simple HTML and JavaScript but you need an aesthetically pleasing design. I don't see many web design articles on widgets, possibly because they require some coding.

AJAX requires you to get fancy with the user interface but although there is plenty of support for the complex JavaScript, I don't find much information on the design aspects of the user interface. Web designers are curiously uninvolved in this user interface revolution.

Then there is the Expression Blend and Silverlight technology which is going to extend ASP.NET into Rich Internet Applications. Silverlight is going to require some design skills combined with coding skills but I don't see much interest in Silverlight in the design community.

I could go on and on. Basically, I see a lot of opportunity for collaboration between freelance developers and freelance designers. Do you know of any web sites that try to facilitate a work relationship between these very different worlds?

07-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Submerge is offline Submerge
Expertise:
Software:

Submerge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Submerge

Old

In the land of hobby web designers, ASP .Net is hardly used. PHP and MySQL are pretty much king.

In the land of businesses, ASP .net and SQL Server are king. It is kind of a trade off, but if you're looking at developing for the hobbyists, go PHP. If you are looking at finding a full time position at a company, your best bet is ASP .Net.

07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

yeah, where have you been looking? .NET is everywhere. it's everywhere and i hate it because it spits out the ugliest html.

web designers only do stuff like html/css or the odd job php hack because their job is presentation. .NET is function, it's back end, not presentation.

you should be looking up application developers, not web designers.

07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
rsrobbins is offline rsrobbins
Software:

rsrobbins is on a distinguished road

Old

I think my post is being misunderstood. I am a professional ASP.NET web application developer. I have considerable expertise in programming, database design, security, and all the other technical aspects of web development. I am looking for web designers to collaborate with. However, most web designers don't know anything about ASP.NET and can't design for it. For example, they are not familiar with the web controls and have not developed any tricks for styling them.

ASP.NET 2.0 does provide excellent support for themes and web control skins but just try finding any decent looking examples. I've found the ASP.NET community to be completely uninterested in design. In fact, they are so into esoteric aspects of programming that they barely qualify as web developers. On the other hand, the design community is completely uninterested in ASP.NET. So there is no collaboration between these two camps.

If you are a web designer, specializing in designing for ASP.NET might prove to be a great opportunity for you because you'll have little competition. I've done considerable work figuring out how to style ASP.NET web sites but I need help creating something truly aesthetic. For example, I've worked with the CSS Friendly Control Adapters but I don't have any decent looking themes to work with except for a few Microsoft examples.

08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
evan2all is offline evan2all
Expertise:
Software:

evan2all is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
I think my post is being misunderstood. I am a professional ASP.NET web application developer. I have considerable expertise in programming, database design, security, and all the other technical aspects of web development. I am looking for web designers to collaborate with. However, most web designers don't know anything about ASP.NET and can't design for it. For example, they are not familiar with the web controls and have not developed any tricks for styling them.

ASP.NET 2.0 does provide excellent support for themes and web control skins but just try finding any decent looking examples. I've found the ASP.NET community to be completely uninterested in design. In fact, they are so into esoteric aspects of programming that they barely qualify as web developers. On the other hand, the design community is completely uninterested in ASP.NET. So there is no collaboration between these two camps.

If you are a web designer, specializing in designing for ASP.NET might prove to be a great opportunity for you because you'll have little competition. I've done considerable work figuring out how to style ASP.NET web sites but I need help creating something truly aesthetic. For example, I've worked with the CSS Friendly Control Adapters but I don't have any decent looking themes to work with except for a few Microsoft examples.
Hello rsrobbins

after about 1 and a half year i am back in this forum and have seen many changes. okay now lets go for your topic.....

it is unfortunate that php lovers hate .NET for its high development price or JAVA for its in depth kowledge requirement.some .NET lovers hate php or java same thing goes for JAVA developers as well. but i will better say the person who is dependend in only one language thats BAD!!! specialization and dependency are two different facts.....

anyway i understand your problem..... you want to say UI design its quite tricky and not user freindly in ASP.NET within VS 2005 or 08 IDE. I am giving you some idea you can visit my blog.

CSS is very very important in asp.net UI design. each and every thing (color layer div alignment) have to be within your css and call it through style tags.

I have use two IDE at a time while design .aspx MS Expression web 2.0 and ADOBE DW cs3. if you can find out my source and open it you may see many warnings there i forcedly included some tags within the html though they are not standard for XHTM.

alignment is a very big problem in asp.net design. you can find many blogs where profession asp.net UI designers come with nice solution. u know we do have google to search...

07-08-2008, 11:16 PM
masfenix is offline masfenix
Expertise:
Software:

masfenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via AIM to masfenix

Old

ASP.NET 3 and above have a great IDE for web standards. They even spit out good HTML. I dont see what the problem is considering the Visual web developer, and the .net framework is free.

You just have to pay for windows host, just like you pay for linux host?

07-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Vilice is offline Vilice
Software:

Vilice is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for share your experience .I am just started to learn the ASP.NET.But I find PHP is more popular.Should I turn to learn PHP instand ?

07-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Mase is offline Mase
Expertise:
Software:

Mase is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Mase

Old

If your learning a new language, go for PHP, it will teach the 'hard' way to do it. When I took my first development job 2 years ago, i was introduced to ASP.NET (C#) and you can then appreciate how easy it makes dynamic websites and more importantly full blown web applications. .NET just keeps on getting better, with better support for web services via SOAP, n-tier, i use it for all major applications i write now.

08-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Extensive SEO is offline Extensive SEO
Expertise:
Software:

Extensive SEO is on a distinguished road

Old  ASP.Net is Great

I been working with ASP.net ever since Visual Web Developer 2005 came out and I love It. As for only being for Big Company's, that is just not true, ASP.net has many starter kits and it is very easy to learn if you just put your mind to it. As for spitting out ugly HTML, by default yes it does, But with a few simple modification to the code you can have it spitting out Valid XHTML or at least very close to XHTML.

10-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old

We're learning ASP.NET and C# at university in my Internet Software Development course. We haven't done any C# as of yet, but the ASP.Net looks... interesting.

Because I have never used it before, it's somewhat new to me and a little more difficult to grasp. I've only ever used PHP before, and even then it wasn't anything too complicated I was doing. I prefer hand coding PHP rather than using Visio Studio to drag and drop things in etc...

I don't feel that I'm learning as much - or as quickly - as I did with PHP, due to not actually typing the code. I've only spent about two weeks on it, so it's still very new to me. I'm sure in time I'll learn to love it! But for now, I prefer PHP.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >