Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1520 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Noobie Freelancer has question about billing

Thread title: Noobie Freelancer has question about billing
09-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Steelbydesign is offline Steelbydesign
Expertise: Design, SEO, Motion Gfx, Video
Software: PS, AI, Flash, After Effects

Steelbydesign is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Steelbydesign

Old  Noobie Freelancer has question about billing

Hi there,

I'm a 5th year student in a design school that has a pretty robust internship program, so I've worked in design firms for probably almost 2 years in total. I'm more focused in motion graphics but have done website comps, and some development.

I've been thinking about freelancing for a while and haven't got around to it until I was approached by a connection through work who has a graphic designer that needs a simple portfolio website.

I need to call and iron out the details, but I think it's going to be a fairly simple (probably 1 page) site just displaying some of her work... I'm not sure if she's going to do the designing or me, and I'll optimize for search engines. Seeing as I'm new to this (as is she, she doesn't have a website at all right now), how much would be a reasonable price to charge (maybe 2 estimates, one with design included and one without)?

Also, is it unusual to just charge a flat rate rather than an hourly one? Just any tips at all are greatly appreciated.

09-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

How do you value your time? Remember that you will loose a large portion of whatever you make to taxes. Your rate should be what you feel will render an acceptable profit. Any flat rate you charge should be based off of the amount of hours it will take you. I generally give quotes per project based off of how long I expect it to take me, if I don't know I will give a loose estimate and invoice them for the amount it took me in the end (although I require 40%-50% of the estimate upfront).

09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Steelbydesign:

VG is correct (of course).

But if this is the first time you do a freelance job, and if you're not yet planning the details of your own business, I'd say, yes, give a firm number. Or better, perhaps, two or three options. Outline what your client will have if she pays you $X, but for $Y she'd get all this and for $Z even this much.

Then, I'd also recommend sticking to both the tasks outlined and the price quoted. If this is a one-off experience, use it to think about your attitude toward independent work and all its details (including pricing).

But remember that there really is a difference between moonlighting and having a freelance business. I'm in the midst of teaching an online intro to business management to a group of people many of whom have moonlighted for years. I'd say at least half of them are discovering that a real independent business is *not* what they want.

Oh, and ... don't forget to get something in writing.