Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 870 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Why 'Webmaster Forum' and not 'TalkFreelance'

Thread title: Why 'Webmaster Forum' and not 'TalkFreelance'
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
11-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by JRayers View Post
It is those little guys who are traditionally the ones that you would find on a place like TalkFreelance and instead of freelancing they are turning to running their own websites and blogs to make their 'pocket money'.
The problem is that Digitalpoint and Sitepoint have us beaten in terms of a crap (aka budget) marketplace. If we try to do the exact same thing as them it will fail. Cheap workers also generally fall into two categories
1. Kids
2. Offshore outsourcers

Kids are, for the most part, very immature and outsourcers never actually take part in the community (I find them akin to leeches in this respect). This means that if we try to grow the marketplace as it is it will bring near nothing to the community. SP and DP are examples of this, their communities are as bad as their marketplaces.

I too am not completely convinced that a freelancer forum has a market. Most serious freelancers and web developers I know stay away from the web because of it's current state. They are often connected in user groups or other physical networks that cater to their specific section of the industry.

It seems like such a quagmire.

11-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
I'd much rather see the site become what I've always wanted it to be; a place for freelancers, or aspiring freelancers, of any industry, to come along and get help, browse amazing resources and share their own experiences.

Me too.

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
Have you considered hiring an SEO expert?

Yes, I had a conversation with one, and quite frankly do not see the point in hiring professional services especially for a forum - a naturally dynamic place. We'll earn our reputation and search engine ranking the organic way.

11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
JRayers is offline JRayers
Software:

JRayers is on a distinguished road

Old

A huge majority of members that remain loyal to this site would have first joined as youngsters all those years ago. I'm wholely convinced 12-25 is the target market whether we like it or not. That might not lead to a great marketplace but in all honesty no great marketplace (that i'm aware of) has ever been run on forum software.

I fully understand your desire to maintain a marketplace as this is the most sustainable source of income but one has to step back and wonder if a webmaster marketplace and a freelance forum are meant to be combined.

Thanked by:
Artashes (11-27-2010)
11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

In my view the marketplace is actually dragging the community down a little. Not a great deal seems to be sold these days (compared to when i joined) and takes the focus away from discussions. I'd personally like to see people showing off their creations, whether it is a new script, a new site, or just some something they are proud of.

11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Fez is offline Fez
Expertise: HTML, CSS, Wordpress, jQuery
Software: e-texteditor

Fez is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Fez

Old

I agree with JRayers - > vBulletin is not a good base for a marketplace

1) One of the most basic SEO optimizations should be to remove "-Powered by vBulletin".

2) Current title structure looks spammy but is a good way to get higher ranked faster for those particular keywords.
---> i) With SEO speed shouldn't matter; be patient - make the right changes.
---> ii) At least remove the full title from being appended to the thread title

3) Art you want to make money from this website; it seriously would benefit you if you hire a pro to help you out with your SEO.

4) GET vBseo and vB 4.0 ASAP to get rid of this horrible Template(just look at the html - ew) and URL structure.

5) Posting after ages - woo

Thanked by:
Artashes (11-27-2010)
11-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Spherions is offline Spherions
Software: Photoshop & phpDesigner

Spherions is on a distinguished road

Old

I first viewed this community as a guest nearly 3 years ago. It was a bustling and exciting community. I joined somewhere down the line, but never took up posting. Like someone said earlier, the demographic a site like this targets is 13-25, essentially the age division where people are not afraid of going out of their design boundaries.

The crummy issue about that is that some of the designs I see are lackluster, and some are absolutely brilliant. We can help each other improve our work, can we not? While I do not like vB4, it would be beneficial to upgrade, get a nice professional skin developed in-house, and everyone, including myself, make this place into the high-spirited arena of powerhouse design it used to be, so to speak.

I realize that I am a complete newbie to this forum and that my words may mean very little to some or most of you, but you can agree that with the proper amount of effort, this website can be revived into something amazing.

I have had the pleasure of talking to Artashes just once, truthfully only because I wanted to know the origin of his name, but just from his warm reception, I could tell weeks later when he purchased this website, that his goal was not to turn it into a piggy-bank to make him money, but to revitalize this site. Obviously ad revenue does come into play, but I imagined that he would be investing the earned money into the site to continuously improve it.

So with that said, I earnestly hope that I have not stepped on anyone's toes and am not criticizing anyone at all.

Edit: To remove the "Powered by vBulletin" line, you are required to purchase a branding-free option, which isn't terribly expensive.

Thanked by:
Artashes (11-28-2010)
11-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

@JRayers, I couldn't agree more about the youngesters. TF is pretty cool in the sense it's core userbase is, or was, a group who started from a young age. It was probably that freshness that gave TF an edge back then.

Without sounding a complete dick, this would revolutionise the marketplace. Hmmph, think how vBulletin offers plugins to their customers, in that sense, developers can easily keep track who uses (sells to), update and do all sorts. Now take that platform into a paid based system for designers, coders, copy writers?... profit.

Themeforrst do it well, but no need to limit to layouts, plus we could easily improve upon it.

Edit: To remove the "Powered by vBulletin" line, you are required to purchase a branding-free option, which isn't terribly expensive.
I wasn't aware they changed that, you use to be able to remove it from the pagetitle for free, but not the footer. My bad.

Thanked by:
Spherions (11-28-2010)
11-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Spherions is offline Spherions
Software: Photoshop & phpDesigner

Spherions is on a distinguished road

Old

No, Dan, you are correct. I was not here a few hours ago when it was in the title. You are actually encouraged to remove it from the title as it may effect SEO. The branding-free fee applies to the branding of the script in the footer of every page. I confused the discussion for the footer as I did not see any "Powered by vBulletin" line in the page title at the time when I was composing my previous post in this thread.

Additionally, from what I remember, after speaking with a vBulletin Solutions representative, if you purchase the branding-free fee option, you may even use a custom name in the footer. Such as "Powered by Unique Designers" or something of similar nature.

11-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Without sounding a complete dick, this would revolutionise the marketplace. Hmmph, think how vBulletin offers plugins to their customers, in that sense, developers can easily keep track who uses (sells to), update and do all sorts. Now take that platform into a paid based system for designers, coders, copy writers?... profit.
I'm slightly confused, how exactly would this work? I understand the dynamic pricing structure, but I dont see it's application here.

11-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Services cost different amounts even in the same field. Surely you would not expect me to charge what would be a fair rate for someone who has one year of experience. The demand for my coding services and that of a newbie have little to do with each other even though we may both do PHP.
The system is for selling products, be it script, design, copy writing or whatever. It has nothing to do with those wanting to hire/hire me threads.

I dont see the benefit of that system. The system as shown is good for it's purpose, to assist in the price of non-unique digital goods. Most of the designs being sold here are unique so supply and demand has nothing to do with their price. Different designs are of different quality and can appeal to markets that have very different financial realities. The overall marketplace does fluctuate up and down, but that is an inductively reasoned statement, one can not based off of that statement deductively reason that all designs must go cheaper.
If I'm selling a script/design/whatever and I want to sell it unique, I'll hit a switch when making the listing and do just that, otherwise the option of selling your work in mass is very beneficial.

- It gives sellers the opportunity to continuely sell their work. (new revenue stream)
- Opens the door to a new market of buyers.
- Its easily a vast improvement to the marketplace, and I see no other marketplace like it?

Again, the system wouldn't be mandatory.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >