Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1430 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Why handcode?

Thread title: Why handcode?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
08-29-2005, 07:58 AM
controllerboy is offline controllerboy
Expertise:
Software:

controllerboy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to controllerboy

Old

well, myself i ain't that experienced, i mostly just create most of my pages with dreamweaver, and than switch to code view to filter all crap and not w3c compliant nonsense out of it. works pretty fast, and i mean, if you really plan to create sites for a long time, and even make money with it, i think you should consider buying dreamweaver. i know it's much money, but hey, just don't buy an ipod and get dreamweaver.it's a great program.

08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Justin761985 is offline Justin761985
Expertise:
Software:

Justin761985 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Justin761985 Send a message via MSN to Justin761985 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin761985

Old

Originally Posted by jono1
I handcode because I prefer having an intimate knowledge of exactly how the site works so i know exactly where to go if there's a problem, because I wrote every line of code myself. With Dreamweaver all I have an intimate knowledge of is some boxes on the screen.
Good point to be made.

Justin.

08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Koobi is offline Koobi
Software:

Koobi is on a distinguished road

Old

because hand coding keeps your skills sharp?

if i stopped hand coding and started using DW for a few months, i probably wouldn't improve as fast as i would if i hand code.

if you built a car with your own hands, wouldn't you know exactly how it works? if you purchased a machine that automates the process for you and does everything for you, you wouldn't know your car as well.

maybe i just don't trust programs and machines
but i also don't want to become dependant on something, like DW for example.

08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Techno is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by jono1
I handcode because I prefer having an intimate knowledge of exactly how the site works so i know exactly where to go if there's a problem, because I wrote every line of code myself. With Dreamweaver all I have an intimate knowledge of is some boxes on the screen.
My feelings exactly

08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

this is one of those areas where the saying is true: to each his own

08-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Paul is offline Paul
Expertise:
Software:

Paul is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Koobi
because hand coding keeps your skills sharp?

if i stopped hand coding and started using DW for a few months, i probably wouldn't improve as fast as i would if i hand code.

if you built a car with your own hands, wouldn't you know exactly how it works? if you purchased a machine that automates the process for you and does everything for you, you wouldn't know your car as well.

maybe i just don't trust programs and machines
but i also don't want to become dependant on something, like DW for example.
exactly.

Just what I was going to say.... and now I don't have anything to add.

...i also don't want to become dependant on something..
If I can handcode just great, I don't want to spend the money on a program like that if I can do it myself.

08-31-2005, 01:27 PM
teccrom is offline teccrom
Expertise:
Software:

teccrom is on a distinguished road

Old

I really like the code-editor in DW, it points out errors and hitting ctrl-space gives me a list of tags and the arguments always. So I handcode in DW. Also the CSS editor is nice for times when you don't want to type that css file for hours.

Also recommended for handcoding is TopStyle Pro/Lite, it has as good a code-editor as DW and very good CSS support.
http://www.bradsoft.com/download/index.asp

08-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Azn_Chic is offline Azn_Chic
Expertise:
Software:

Azn_Chic is on a distinguished road

Old

I would never pay money for an editor when I can/will hand code. I've been using notepad for near 10 years and a year or so ago swtiched to Crimson Editor. There's nothing nicer than having an orderly looking piece of code that I can read without going wtf. I make it a habit to try to lay down lean code. People who rely on packages though to produce things for them do have a disadvantage to those who keep their skills sharp. Writing compliant code is not rocket science if you know the basics of HTML.

08-31-2005, 04:25 PM
NetAtom is offline NetAtom
Software:

NetAtom is on a distinguished road

Old

Ditto.

I like cutting out the middle man. Dreamweaver being faster is a risk I'll take, though I imagine any debugging might make that statement false. When you need to open the hood, I imagine hand coding is much easier.

I've used Dreamweaver and it never caught on. Prefer my text editor

09-01-2005, 05:34 PM
AJCrowley is offline AJCrowley
Software:

AJCrowley is on a distinguished road

Old

Simple answer: because every WYSIWYG editor I've ever tried produces horrible code, and in the long run, it takes (me at least) longer trying to tweak their settings than just to do it properly in the first place.

When I started web development, I used a visual editor. After several months, it occurred to me that I could produce far superior code in less time by hand coding, and that is still the case.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >