Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 668 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Giving coders the PSD

Thread title: Giving coders the PSD
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

I've always had this sort of thing on the back of my mind when handing the PSD over, what if... but I use Garrett for all my coding needs and i dont seem to feel it anymore, maybe because i've got to know him on a personal level and i trust him probably changes things a lot but i dont think i could just hand over my psd to anyother freelancer or company doing this.

09-06-2007, 12:38 PM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I'm in the middle on this. In one sense, a coder is requiring an additional risk to the purchaser due to them wanting easier work.
To me it has nothing to do with easier work, it's about quality work. I can't always re-create things in photoshop as well as the designer could, I don't always know what they want, and when it saves me time, it saves the designer money.

09-06-2007, 02:37 PM
jd. is offline jd.
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

jd. is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jd.

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
If you don't trust the coder with your psd, you shouldn't trust him with your project.
That's exactly what i was going to say, if you can't trust your coder then dont use them.

09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Jake Riley is offline Jake Riley
Expertise:
Software:

Jake Riley is on a distinguished road

Old

I can't imagine not getting the PSD really. There are few times where I receive the file and don't feel it necessary to make modifications to it.

09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Originally Posted by jjmac View Post
To me it has nothing to do with easier work, it's about quality work. I can't always re-create things in photoshop as well as the designer could, I don't always know what they want, and when it saves me time, it saves the designer money.

I simply commented off what others have posted previous to me on reasonings of why they like to have the source. Looking at my own personal work, as well as when I code my own work, I rarely require anything that would be needed from the source. Then again, my designs are usually created with ease of coding in mind. Perhaps the source is not required if proper flat files are given?

Personally I just can't see how it's an excuse to want the source simply because you can't tell 14pt Arial from 18pt Verdana.

As to Salathe's comment: With the growing ammount of work given over the internet, as well as the discounted services that alot of htmlers charge now days, contracts are usually more hassel than a benefit in smaller projects.

09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Looking at my own personal work, as well as when I code my own work, I rarely require anything that would be needed from the source. Then again, my designs are usually created with ease of coding in mind. Perhaps the source is not required if proper flat files are given?
That's a big difference. None of the clients I work with do html coding (so far anyway) they are design professionals. They design without coding limits in mind.

I agree with you partially though. In my own personal projects, I could really care less if the font size is a bit off or the wrong font as long as the serif (or lack thereof) matched. However when I code for a client I aim for highest quality and a lot of times I will take a screen shot of the final product and superimpose it over the original .psd to show how close it matches. If they designed something, they did it for a reason and it's my job to reproduce it as accurately as possible into a web page.

It's not only the font size I pay attention to. It's the kerning, the leading, the line height, everything to do with the font to render it exactly as the designer has designed it. It's a pain to manually figure all of those out for every section of text without the .psd. Then there's the issue of rollovers and shadows.

If they don't want to give me the .psd (and I've had a few) that's fine I just let them know up front some of the problems they could run in to and not to expect a 100% exact match. But I have a long working relationship with most of my clients so this is rarely an issue.

09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

I guess it's just a matter of the design, and in what quality the flat jpg/png was delivered.

09-06-2007, 11:42 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

for a good design source is usually necessary for good slicing. i usually have to do a lot of turning on/off of layers with the files i work with.

09-07-2007, 12:39 AM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old

I agree with Idiot. I send all of my work to Blue Ire because I trust him. He does excellent work, and takes care of his clients. I know that he won't run off with my designs. However I have hired others in the past, and on some occasions this thought has crossed my mind.

09-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Rannek is offline Rannek
Expertise:
Software:

Rannek is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Rannek

Old

Well what i was saying is people keep your PSD's. Im not saying you cant trust them and their not going to get the work done or anything. But theres no humanly possible way to tell if the coder is keeping your PSD's or not. You just cant.

You can trust him 100% and say he always does your work clean and fast. But he might be on another site selling your PSD for money that he needs for a quick doman or something. You really can't trust someone, it's internet. For instance, i could be super professional on here and outside be the most gangster in the city and be shooting people (rofl).

But hey, i go to this forum and i notice now that im about to get blown away from what everyone is going to say to me (bad comments) for saying this...

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >