Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1364 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

WYSIWYG editors, what's really wrong with them?

Thread title: WYSIWYG editors, what's really wrong with them?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't really have much of a problem with WYSIWYG editors. I can understand people who already know HTML and CSS using WYSIWYG editors for low paid or short deadline jobs to help. It's when people who don't know HTML and CSS using them to take the easy way out. Also when people claim to be able to code when they use WYSIWYG editors annoys me.

I also, like Salathe need the code I write to be laid out and commented (tabs and closing tags labeled) in the right way so I can read the code quickly and edit it.

10-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

I only sell code that is generated by photoshop.

10-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bennett
I only sell code that is generated by photoshop.
Bah ha ha. . . . ha.

10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

with respect, there's nothing wrong with the wysiwyg editor, the problem lies in the user: they don't know how to use it.

put a civilian with no training into a bulldozer and tell them to dig your house's foundation. it's going to go to hell because they have no idea how to operate the machine or what things to keep in mind when digging the hole. your foundation is going to be useless and your house will fall apart if you try to build on it.

i hand code stuff at work, because i type faster then i point and click, and i find t incredibly easy. when i'm done, i move onto my next job. 2 weeks later when the client wants the page heading changed from Event Calendar to Calendar of Events, my boss doesn't want to waste my time, having me stop what i'm doing (potentially destorying my train of thought) to update it, so he opens it in a wysiwyg editor and tries to make the changes in design mode, and because he has no idea how i've structured the page, he has to do all this design fiddling and in the end, it destroys the page because he's fighting my css with <font> tags - so not only has my structure been ruined to get the thing to look like he wants, it applies all its other stupid logic to my code - putting <br> tags where my content is already wrapping on its own, and because i'm actually serving it as application/xml+xhtml it explodes and i have to go in and fix it.

it's all relative, but imo that's what's wrong with wysiwyg editors. when people actually understand html, they can turn out quality stuff. but most of the time, people turn to wysiwyg editors becase they don't understand html and how it works. that and spacer .gifs. learn to slice a site up properly, please. +)

10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by dereklapp
i hand code stuff at work, because i type faster then i point and click, and i find t incredibly easy. when i'm done, i move onto my next job. 2 weeks later when the client wants the page heading changed from Event Calendar to Calendar of Events, my boss doesn't want to waste my time, having me stop what i'm doing (potentially destorying my train of thought) to update it, so he opens it in a wysiwyg editor and tries to make the changes in design mode, and because he has no idea how i've structured the page, he has to do all this design fiddling and in the end, it destroys the page because he's fighting my css with <font> tags - so not only has my structure been ruined to get the thing to look like he wants, it applies all its other stupid logic to my code - putting <br> tags where my content is already wrapping on its own, and because i'm actually serving it as application/xml+xhtml it explodes and i have to go in and fix it.
In all fairness, if you are using a decent ( recent Dreamweaver) editor, those problems do not exist. The know doctypes and how to choose the correct tags. You'r post is an overly broad generalization, and is more fitted to the editors of '99 than 2006.

10-08-2006, 08:18 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

my post is what i had to do on friday.

the day before i also had to remove a chunk of dreamweaver's javascript for pop up windows - because i wrote my own that keeps as much info as possible contained in my .js file instead of the onclick command - because one of the girl's wanted to make a link in my html and put an onclick event on an image instead making an anchor tag set (<a></a>) so no one had any idea it was even a link.

we're also using studio 8 and it's still using onClick instead of onclick in my xhtml strict documents. i'm not knocking the software, but i stand by my belief that a lot people don't know how to use them properly.

10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by dereklapp
i'm not knocking the software, but i stand by my belief that a lot people don't know how to use them properly.
That, I agree with whole heartedly.

10-08-2006, 08:29 PM
kentmayne is offline kentmayne
Software:

kentmayne is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to kentmayne Send a message via MSN to kentmayne

Old

I hand code almost all of my designs, it's just that Dreamweaver is quicker, tells me when I make a mistake and lets me preview my layout.

10-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

True, maybe I am finding Dreamweaver to be quite efficient because I do already know how to hand code?

Some of you have come up with some good statements which make it hard to go one way or the other, I suppose a mix of the two (WYSIWYG + hand code) could be the ideal?

10-10-2006, 08:51 PM
xxtyderxx is offline xxtyderxx
Software:

xxtyderxx is on a distinguished road

Old

I like them, but I know people might not like them because sometimes it doesn't get the coding exactly how they want it.. there may be, for some reason, 1 thing it can't do like get the exact width you need or something.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >