Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1334 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

need to learn HTML/ web design

Thread title: need to learn HTML/ web design
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Mr. Cheeky is offline Mr. Cheeky
Software:

Mr. Cheeky is on a distinguished road

Old

web design and coding are one of those things that you never stop learning.. you always learn new tips and tricks and such.. I went from using free templates and angelfire web hosting to making my own templates and running my own web hosting business

05-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

http://www.lissaexplains.com/basics.shtml - this is a resource I used many years ago, it's still great and fantastic for people learning html. It is written by a kid, so it's in very plain english.

05-11-2005, 12:39 PM
smashingjay is offline smashingjay
Expertise:
Software:

smashingjay is on a distinguished road

Old

HTML-Kit and Notepad ++ for editing. Syntax highlighting (coloured text that makes reading code better) is just to much to live without. For resources there are many but I have found some books that are very helpful including Elizabeth Castro's HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide Fifth Edition and Robin Williams Web Design Workshop has some good tips but is light on code information. Another book that has just come out is Molly E. Holzschlag's Spring Into HTML And Css This book is geared toward people with limited knowledge of HTML and CSS but is not supposed to be a dumbed down offering.

On Dreamweaver, yes it is easy to learn but better to forget. Many graphically oriented developers begin here, myself included. Now it is but a resident on my computer. It is memory intensive, and the design view doesn't support CSS very well. It's merits are that you can use the templates and the site synchronisation feature for uploading/downloading new pages/content. Go with a text editor with syntax highlighting and do initial previews in Opera or Firefox. (Always test your pages in all browsers possible)

Website design is moving in the direction of logical document markup with no presentational elements in the HTML document. All presentational markup is moving into the CSS file(s). In addition, using an editor, a good browser and a localhost server setup allows better more functional sites to be built.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Jay
Developer/Consultant

06-27-2005, 03:31 PM
cegcubs is offline cegcubs
Expertise:
Software:

cegcubs is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to cegcubs Send a message via Yahoo to cegcubs

Old

Originally Posted by Jonny
View >> Page Source.
Thats what I do all the time, you can learn a lot from this and see the difference between one coder and the other. always help to see the source.

06-27-2005, 07:14 PM
moped is offline moped
Expertise:
Software:

moped is on a distinguished road

Old

I learned HTML several years ago by watching training videos. What really helped me understand what was happening behind the scenes was using Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver has the ability to "split" your view so you can see your code on top and what your page will actually look like on the bottom. I would use the built in tools, like adding a table, email address, etc. and the look at the code and what would actually appear on the page. If you are a visual learner (like many designers are), this method will be very helpfull.

I would suggest starting slow with HTML, then adding CSS as you go. My goto sites when I'm stuck are www.webmonkey.com (they have a great CSS tutorial) and htmlgoodies.com, and http://www.lynda.com (they have tons of great tutorial videos for a fee).

IMO you will do better by being able to use a tool like Dreamweaver to build your pages (it greatly speeds your process) and knowing how to "tweak" the HTML when needed.

06-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Yang is offline Yang
Software:

Yang is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Yang

Old

htmlgoodies.com is the very html tutorial i read and initiated web development for me.

07-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Submerge is offline Submerge
Expertise:
Software:

Submerge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Submerge

Old

funky-chickens.com

where i started out 5 years ago

07-16-2005, 10:45 AM
LemoNade is offline LemoNade
Software:

LemoNade is on a distinguished road

Old

Try www.w3schools.com - They have some great tutorials, including HTML, CSS, PHP etc - And with a quiz for each to see how you're doing.

07-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Panther is offline Panther
Software:

Panther is on a distinguished road

Old  after learning html

hello, after learning html you would have to know certain concepts about designing and etc go to www.webdesignhelper.co.uk it's there's a good amount of usefull info for bot newbie and others .

08-03-2005, 04:33 PM
rjerina is offline rjerina
Expertise:
Software:

rjerina is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Couldn't agree more, that's how I learnt (still learning) also, might want to check out www.htmlgoodies.com which is pretty decent. I also learnt alot from viewing other websites code

One of the best software packages out there for picking up html fairly quickly is macromedia dreamweaver, check that out also.
HTMLGoodies.com is where I learned my HTML

Been using it for like eight years or so now.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >