Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1606 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Dedicated graphic/video memory question

Thread title: Dedicated graphic/video memory question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
11-29-2010, 02:47 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old  Dedicated graphic/video memory question

I am slowly getting tired of working exclusively on a 13" laptop. I feel like I need a bigger screen and a more snappy hardware.

While I am not sure I really need the latest Core i7 8GB RAM systems that are available in retail stores for the work that I do, so I am out looking for a refurbished PC that has the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 820 2.8GHz <-- is it any good? is it quiet?
6 GB RAM
Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics

The problem is - it sounds like there is no dedicated video memory on the machine, compared to those i7 8GB RAM system which have 1GB of dedicated memory.

So, with the above specifications, do you think there is a possibility to set/modify/apply a share of the overall RAM toward the dedicated graphics memory? I am really not strong on the hardware subject of things, so would appreciate a smart advice.

11-29-2010, 04:22 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Is it quiet is a bit relative since the CPU itself is.. just a CPU. It all depends on what cooler they use (stock or do they use after market?) and if there are any case fans. That will increase (or decrease) the noise you may or may not have.

Are you dead set on refurbished? Do you have a link to the refurb desktop you're looking at? What's your budget?

What do you really plan to utilize the system for? Are you particular with your CPU brand? You can get a Core i5 750 that will have better benchmarks than the II X4 820. That being said: Screw anything integrated. You don't want to utilize that. Just pick up a PCI-e card if that's really such a concern for you.

I recommend this GPU card: GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16. This is the card I have and it is an AWESOME card.

11-29-2010, 04:23 AM
cableguy is offline cableguy
Software:

cableguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

You can get a decent 40$ card and you'll be fine.

Also, if you want quiet, stick with Intels.

I would never get a refur though. Oh and you need the i7

I would also wait for FutureShop and BestBuy to lower their prices very soon. I went through them quickly for you and they have last Christmas' prices ATM.

11-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
You can get a decent 40$ card and you'll be fine.

Also, if you want quiet, stick with Intels.

I would never get a refur though. Oh and you need the i7

I would also wait for FutureShop and BestBuy to lower their prices very soon. I went through them quickly for you and they have last Christmas' prices ATM.
Oh lol, please explain why an Intel processor is going to be quieter than an AMD processor! I would love to know. But seriously: Neither are better than the other in terms of how loud OR quiet they are. It ~all~ depends on the brand/model cooler fan as well as case/GPU fan(s) (if there are any.)

I have an i7 with a non-stock cooler and two case fans; It's not completely silent by any means but it is fairly quiet (even with the GPU fan.) I have an AMD X2 4200+ with a non-stock cooler and two case fans (GPU doesn't have a fan) and it's just as quiet as my i7.

As far as "you need the i7" I would beg to differ here. I would only recommend the i7 if he's planning on doing any video rendering/encoding and anything else that is extremely CPU intensive. A low-end Core or the II X4 is more than sufficient enough for an average user (being internet browsing, downloading, maybe some web dev, gaming, etc.)

And $40 for a price range is not the way to help someone. You can spend $40 on an AGP card and be better off utilizing integrated graphics. Don't give a price to look for, you give them various specs. NVDIA or ATI? DDR3 or DDR2? PCI-e or PCI? That's better than "get a $40 card."

11-29-2010, 04:54 AM

Old

Hey thanks for your feedback. I was told by the rep regarding the card that it has ATI Radeon HD 4250 512MB integrated graphics which is fixed to the chipset and can no longer be increased. Does 512MB mean it actually has dedicated RAM that is 512MB?

This is the PC I am considering. Initially I wanted to go the Intel way but what do I care if it performs like a quad-core I believe... My current laptop has 2GB RAM and runs Intel Core 2 Duo processor, but it is starting to get slower after 2 years of full-time usage time and it requires reboots more often (not sure if its Vista to blame or not). Anyhoo, I think that 6GB RAM Quad-Core processing (I think this is what this processed equals to, correct me if I am wrong) should be sufficient for the same tasks I do: lots and lots of Internet/office work (lots of browser windows open), some monkeying with Photoshop and no gaming. Oh yes, some video editing, but more for leisure documentary film making here and there.

Refurbished? I don't have my mind set on it, but I don't see the point paying $200-300 more for the same setup if its new. If something is going to break, it'll break in the first 3 months of heavy daily use. If not, then I'd spend $50 fixing it down the road. cableguy, why is refurbished a bad call?

There is no budget, really, I just try to go based on my needs more than on price. A setup like that should do the job for the next 5 years I think?

11-29-2010, 12:16 PM
QualOut.Net is offline QualOut.Net
Expertise:
Software:

QualOut.Net is on a distinguished road

Old

The proper answer depends in large part on what you plan to use the machine for.

11-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Old

Originally Posted by QualOut.Net View Post
The proper answer depends in large part on what you plan to use the machine for.

Hi, nice of you to join!
My answer explaining my computing routine is above.

11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
cableguy is offline cableguy
Software:

cableguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

The reason why I quoted prices is because we shop at the same places.

I don't think that deal is that great Artashes.

If you stick with FS or BB you can return it easier. Also, I guarantee there will be good deals coming soon.

When you buy an Intel for a few bucks more, you usually end up with a quieter experience, and that's a fact.

11-29-2010, 11:37 PM

Old

Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
If you stick with FS or BB you can return it easier. Also, I guarantee there will be good deals coming soon.
I agree on the return part, although I NEVER buy an extended warranty anyway... Alright, I will be more patient. However, I am not going to stay/wait in line to the Future Shop and go through madness on boxing sale. Is THAT what you mean by getting a deal? The boxing sale?

Also, their line of PCs (either BB or FS) usually are limited (I feel there is less choice as you decrease the requirements range that you need).

@Jordan. Jeez how many fans does one need...

11-29-2010, 11:55 PM
NoahAndrew is offline NoahAndrew
Expertise:
Software:

NoahAndrew is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to NoahAndrew

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post

@Jordan. Jeez how many fans does one need...
A cool computer is a happy computer!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >