Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1098 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

How to promote my forum?

Thread title: How to promote my forum?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
01-27-2007, 06:41 PM
VividWire is offline VividWire
Software:

VividWire is on a distinguished road

Old

Well I think I will try and find some other design websites, maybe place ads on some tutorial websites?

I wasn't too sure if I could post the URL in this forum but its [edited by seen.to: You were right before]

01-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Jack Morrison is offline Jack Morrison
Expertise:
Software:

Jack Morrison is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jack Morrison Send a message via MSN to Jack Morrison Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Morrison Send a message via Skype™ to Jack Morrison

Old

Techno, you yourself are barely through your teens, please think before you speak.

01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
BrokenFaith is offline BrokenFaith
Expertise:
Software:

BrokenFaith is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BrokenFaith Send a message via MSN to BrokenFaith

Old

Dale, there is still that whole '$20.00 For Joining' Incentive up on the table =D

01-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Techno is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Axiom
Techno, you yourself are barely through your teens, please think before you speak.
I didn't say I wasn't a kid did I? I was a top poster here when I was a start-up freelancer and more of a kid.

Originally Posted by Salathe
Techno, do you have any idea of the average age of members here? It's not 12-14, I'll tell you that much.

VividWire, if you've got the cash then banner advertising on forums matching your market won't hurt. Getting the word out, and getting people talking about it is however probably your most worthwhile target -- viral marketing. Also, I'm sure making topics like this (if you include the URL to the site!) won't hurt at all.
I bet you can't name 10 currently succesful freelancers who regularly post on here.

01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Dream is offline Dream
Expertise:
Software:

Dream is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Dream

Old

There may be alot, but they may not tell any one about there success.

Also, why cant you not start a argument in every thread you post in techno (this isnt a personal attack just an argument seems to get started every time you post).

Back on topic?

The best way to increase traffic/members would be to advertise on big sites and offer prizes/contests to keep people interested.

01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
VividWire is offline VividWire
Software:

VividWire is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for the advice.

What kinds of competitions and prizes would people like to see?

01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
BrokenFaith is offline BrokenFaith
Expertise:
Software:

BrokenFaith is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BrokenFaith Send a message via MSN to BrokenFaith

Old

I dont recommend referral comps, thats why im not participating on the forum (Im Ryan on SR).. But I hate referral competitions, because they usually are NEVER successful on any forum, and do the same thing as people hate posting competitions for, all that will happen, is someone registeres, posts once or twice, and never comes back..

I like posting competitions, something like 'Most Posts by 'end date''

Just as everyone will flame and say, it promotes spamming, but maybe only count posts with 100+ characters or something?

01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
jon is offline jon
Expertise:
Software:

jon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jon Send a message via MSN to jon

Old

Your forum has got the potential to become successful but there are a few things that if you changed, would help the forum grow.

First of all, when i view your website i'm not entirely sure what it's about. I mean, i know it's a webmaster forum but there is no welcome note or obvious register link to tempt people in. This is really easy to do in vbulletin, just add some kind of intro to the site at the top of the page telling everyone what stylereboot.com is all about.

It's always hard to spark activity at a new forum and when there is no activity people won't bother registering. It's a catch 22 and it's hard to get out of. It's a controversial idea but id suggest paying for some posts from a pay for posts company like this one. After you've got a forum that looks active and there are people posting every day any traffic that you send to the website will convert into members and posters 10x better.

Now you can start to think about advertising. Simply paying $50 for a banner here at talkfreelance isn't really any kind of advertising campaign. It might drive a tiny bit of traffic but you'll be very lucky to see any of that traffic converting. You've gotta think of it like this... you're advertising to a community of developers and designers who are already happy posting here at talkfreelance. For them to drop everything and start posting at your website your site is going to have to offer something special, something worth the users time registering and working to become part of the community.

Try and think of different ways to market your forum. Like Salathe already mentioned, think viral. Link, link.

Don't be put off though, your forum looks better than 90% of other webmaster forums are are launched. Just make sure you work on careful community management once people start posting.

01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Techno is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Dream
There may be alot, but they may not tell any one about there success.

Also, why cant you not start a argument in every thread you post in techno (this isnt a personal attack just an argument seems to get started every time you post).

Back on topic?

The best way to increase traffic/members would be to advertise on big sites and offer prizes/contests to keep people interested.
Reread the topic and told me who started the argument, I stated what I believe and I know plenty of people who think the same too.

01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Techno, it is true to say that many of members here are new freelancers and/or teens making some money on the side. I was merely trying to get across the point that the average age of members here is not that of "kids". In fact, it is in the early 20s. I'm agreeing with you, not arguing.

Now, on topic. What are your aims as far as recruitment of new members is concerned? Do you want a mass of folks signing up now to be able to wow everyone with phenomenal forum growth statistics, or a few new people but great quality of discussion? You'll obviously (hopefully) be aiming for a middle-ground between the two but I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >