Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1117 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

How much do i sell banner space for?

Thread title: How much do i sell banner space for?
Closed Thread    
03-17-2005, 11:56 PM
TheWebJunkie is offline TheWebJunkie
Software:

TheWebJunkie is on a distinguished road

Old  How much do i sell banner space for?

Hello guys well a few people have contacted me about purchasing banner space on my site, but im not sure how much to charge. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice

I run phpadsnew and heres my stats for my site (open 10days tomorrow)

My site is averaging 170 uniques per day and growing

The banner is placed below the fold on my site (footer)

03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I would probably say $20/month.

03-18-2005, 09:59 AM
jon is offline jon
Expertise:
Software:

jon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jon Send a message via MSN to jon

Old

Personally I think the best way to sell banner impressions is per impressions. That way both the advertiser and the publisher knows exactly what they are getting out of it. The whole concept of paying per month for banner placement is more guess work than anything else.

Currently I charge $1 per 1000 banner impressions.

03-21-2005, 03:41 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I totally disagree with your statement Jon. As an advertiser and publisher myself I have been burnt many times when it comes to buying advertising on websites. Buying by the impressions isn't cost effective, how many times do you honestly see a banner before you click it? Probably a few hundred, if ever. If you're selling advertising by the impression chances are the advertisers will have a very bad campaign and won't return for anymore business next month.

Selling by the month ensures the advertiser gets value for money. They can still be guaranteed impressions (people advertising here are guaranteed impressions based on the previous months traffic). Not only does selling by the month increase the chances of a succesful campaign it also stops you from worrying about finding new advertisers every week, you're guranteed advertisers for the entire month.

I don't like paying $50 for 10,000 impressions, high traffic sites rinse my campaigns in a few days and you can't help but wonder....are we really getting real traffic? I've heard some horror stories in the past! Website owners buying traffic to their sites in order to shift campaigns faster and make their sites look more popular than they actually are.

03-25-2005, 09:39 PM
BlaineSch is offline BlaineSch
Expertise: Web Applications
Software: Notepad++

BlaineSch is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BlaineSch Send a message via MSN to BlaineSch Send a message via Yahoo to BlaineSch Send a message via Skype™ to BlaineSch

Old

I like it it means the webmaster gets $.

03-25-2005, 10:35 PM
jon is offline jon
Expertise:
Software:

jon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jon Send a message via MSN to jon

Old

I can understand what you are saying Robson, but at the same time when you buy banner placement per impressions at least then you know exactly what you are getting.

I guess it depends on the website. Forums generate a lot of page impressions and usually a low CTR because of the nature of the site. The best thing to do as an advertiser is to buy a sample campaign of banner impressions for around $1 then you will be able to estimate how much traffic a decent sized campaign with that website will get you.

There will be horror stories each end of the scale. I am sure that just as many people get stung with bad campaigns paying for banner placement per month. Personally I think the whole concept is very hit and miss.

03-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Premiumhosted is offline Premiumhosted
Software:

Premiumhosted is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Premiumhosted

Old

I'd charge $20-$25/month for that. Good Luck

04-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I guess it depends on the website. Forums generate a lot of page impressions and usually a low CTR because of the nature of the site.
Also, the reason forums and websites may get higher pageviews than they actually do is due to the adrotator, it actually generates it's own pageview when a banner loads. So my advice is, be careful when you buy or sell advertising space because you're probably only generating 1/2 of what the impressions say. Also, if you have a footer and header rotator on the same page then that would count as 3 pageviews.

Closed Thread