Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1508 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

[ask] one year free maintenance

Thread title: [ask] one year free maintenance
12-23-2010, 07:43 PM
z_kagenotora is offline z_kagenotora
Software:

z_kagenotora is on a distinguished road

Old  [ask] one year free maintenance

Yesterday, I had my first meeting with a client to develop a website. Everything went well, in term of the requirements and payment. Although the payment is not very high, but it's not underpaid as well.

At the end of the meeting, the client asked me to provide her one year free maintenance. She insisted that it's a common service that is provided by other web service.

I personally haven't had clients that require one year free maintenance. Usually, I gave them time to review the website for one month and see if they want to edit the existing product. But it's not "adding" the product.

My experience with web development is relatively new. Any input will be really appreciated. Thanks!

12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
FreeStylencer is offline FreeStylencer
Software:

FreeStylencer is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Give them warranty of one or two months and do small changes in the first week or two that they ask. Any extra than that and give them the price.

12-23-2010, 08:43 PM
z_kagenotora is offline z_kagenotora
Software:

z_kagenotora is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by FreeStylencer View Post
Give them warranty of one or two months and do small changes in the first week or two that they ask. Any extra than that and give them the price.
is it something that is standard? 1 to 2 months?

12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

"Free maintenance" is not standard and is way too vague. Does it mean fixing bugs or does it mean adding new features? If they forgot a feature that they wanted will they be able to call you in eight months and get it for free? Generally speaking when they sign off on the project that is it, nothing more is done. They are lying when they say that a year of free maintenance is standard in the industry.

I fix actual errors for free forever so long as I made them, this is done both as a professional courtesy and to reduce my liability if something were to go wrong. But I don't maintain anything for free, if they want my time they have to pay for it; even for the smallest of changes.

Thanked by:
Artashes (12-24-2010)
12-24-2010, 03:57 PM
FreeStylencer is offline FreeStylencer
Software:

FreeStylencer is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
"Free maintenance" is not standard and is way too vague. Does it mean fixing bugs or does it mean adding new features? If they forgot a feature that they wanted will they be able to call you in eight months and get it for free? Generally speaking when they sign off on the project that is it, nothing more is done. They are lying when they say that a year of free maintenance is standard in the industry.

I fix actual errors for free forever so long as I made them, this is done both as a professional courtesy and to reduce my liability if something were to go wrong. But I don't maintain anything for free, if they want my time they have to pay for it; even for the smallest of changes.
Exactly! Why should you waste time on something that is not paid. Basically they are asking one year of your work for free. Now think, is that fair?