Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1241 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

SQL Server or mySQL?

Thread title: SQL Server or mySQL?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
09-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Aphex is offline Aphex
Expertise:
Software:

Aphex is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Aphex Send a message via MSN to Aphex

Old

Right, once you get into large million-dollar+ companies, they won't use the free stuff because of its lack of polish as a corporate solution such as Oracle. I believe the going rate for Oracle software is in the $20,000 range. Oracle is something like 100x faster than MySQL. When you are dealing with corporate web sites that are doing 100s of queries a minute, the server has to be able to handle the load. MySQL starts to degrade, and fail.

09-25-2005, 05:33 PM
GMMorris is offline GMMorris
Software:

GMMorris is on a distinguished road

Old

Actually Oracle is free- it's support costs money.

09-25-2005, 09:56 PM
ses5909 is offline ses5909
Software:

ses5909 is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm with GMMorris on this one. Yes, MySql is free and there are a lot of web apps that use it, but most corporate environments don't use it from what I've seen. Even if they want a free database, I would take PostrgeSQL over MySql b/c of the abiity to do inner selects among other things.

09-25-2005, 10:15 PM
tango is offline tango
Expertise:
Software:

tango is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to tango Send a message via MSN to tango Send a message via Yahoo to tango

Old

Is your server Windows or Linux based? Are you programming in PHP or something else (asp?).

If you are using PHP, go the MySQL route. It's easier to coordinate with PHP (considering PHP has built in funtions for MySQL). If you are programming in ASP, use MS SQL Server.

That basically sums it up for you. If you are just doing small projects, MySQL is definately the way to go.

09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Amnezia is offline Amnezia
Expertise:
Software:

Amnezia is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by GMMorris
thats just not true... I work with huge companies and none of them trust MySQL enough. They all use SQLServer or Oracle... I'm talking HP, Comverse, Militery etc.
completely agre, oracle is far more powerful than mysql will ever be

the only reason everyone uses mysql is because its incredibly simple

10-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Software:

Old

Just to some up thing the way I see it:
1)I Love MySQL. It has served me well for years, but it's power is very limited and should be used only for relatively small applications (even VBulletin could be considered stretching it abit. Heavy traffic VBulletins like WHT suffer from time to time). BTW I recently did my company's review of MySQL 5 (since I'm an avid OpenSource developer my company often sends me to do the review of Open Source products) and let me tell you- its great. It handled Stored procedures and Inner Queries very well. There were afew screw ups, but it is still in Beta and works nicely.

2)For larger applications I would suggest Oracle (Not SQLServer), because it is much more powerful. Admitedly it can be overkill sometimes. Oracle server eat ALOT of memory, but if your looking for a well paying job your much better off learning Oracle rather than SQLServer, because it is muly platform, and has excelent support.

Good luck

10-02-2005, 01:14 PM
UrlTrends is offline UrlTrends
Expertise:
Software:

UrlTrends is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by GMMorris
Actually Oracle is free- it's support costs money.
From: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html

All software downloads are free, and each comes with a development license that allows you to use full versions of the products only while developing and prototyping your applications.
MySql is a lot more robust than I think you guys are giving it credit. We run MySQL and process about 8 gb of data running, on average, a little more than one million queries each day. Right now our average is 710.19 queries per minute and we are running fine. We expect to be able to handle about 20,000+ per minute before we need to upgrade our db server or possibly move up to Oracle.

From the testing we did when we we first set our site up MSSQL performed the worst out of the DB servers we tested. But the performance wasn't because of MSSQL. From what we could tell it had more to do with Windows Server.

MySQL performed the best and thats why we used it.

PostgreSQL was just slightly slower than MySQL.

We did not test Oracle because of it operating cost. It is likely to be our database server of choice in the future though, as we begin to expand even further.

I think that the largest reasons that MSSQL is even semi-popular is simply because all of these college students get tought to use MS products in school and the only thing that they learn is MS this and MS that. I would wager a guess that 25-50% of all companies that are using MSSQL didn't even try to perform load tests when selecting a Database Server, but selected it because the new database administrator at that time said that they should use it (in reality only saying that because it is the only database software that he/she knows about).

10-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by UrlTrends

All software downloads are free, and each comes with a development license that allows you to use full versions of the products only while developing and prototyping your applications.
True, but when you develop an application for a large company THEY pay for that. For learning and developing the software its free. Thats what I was refering to.

MySql is a lot more robust than I think you guys are giving it credit. We run MySQL and process about 8 gb of data running, on average, a little more than one million queries each day. Right now our average is 710.19 queries per minute and we are running fine. We expect to be able to handle about 20,000+ per minute before we need to upgrade our db server or possibly move up to Oracle.
Just out of interest - how powerful is your server? It would probably need some big guns for that amout of processing, no?

10-02-2005, 09:24 PM
stickycarrots is offline stickycarrots
Expertise:
Software:

stickycarrots is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to stickycarrots Send a message via MSN to stickycarrots

Old

Personally, I like MySQL. It's up to you.

10-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Aphex is offline Aphex
Expertise:
Software:

Aphex is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Aphex Send a message via MSN to Aphex

Old

Originally Posted by UrlTrends

Your site is using a dedicated server though, correct? Most sites are using MySQL for small personal sites on virtual or shared servers. So, MySQL isn't going to seem all that fast at times.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >