Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1064 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

How did you gain your skills at web design?

Thread title: How did you gain your skills at web design?
Closed Thread  
Page 8 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8
07-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Bhavik is offline Bhavik
Software:

Bhavik is on a distinguished road

Old

find blogs of nice designers and keep checking there work.... there are so many design gallery website as well where you can see new design posted every now and then which can help you insipre a lot in website design work

07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
CanonbieDesigns is offline CanonbieDesigns
Expertise:
Software:

CanonbieDesigns is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to CanonbieDesigns

Old

Practicing is definitely the key. Play around on photoshop following tutorials, look at other designers and look at their techniques etc. I also recomend Design Contests once you start getting better. Websites such as 99designs.com are great for getting you to improve your skills, and theres a reward at the end of it!! Cheers.

07-03-2008, 03:22 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

see i don't like advice like this, because it doesn't advise anyone to do anything. it's like saying if you want to be good to hockey, just watch hockey, of you want to learn to paint, just look at paintings.

there's more to learning than monkey see, monkey do. that's why so many designer produce boring stuff; they don't actually have the fundamentals behind the idea. if you don't already know the mechanics and theory behind the art, you can't really explore it on your own because you don't know where to go.

07-04-2008, 03:07 AM
jrstokes is offline jrstokes
Expertise:
Software:

jrstokes is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jrstokes

Old

Everything that I know I have either taught myself or have learned from others. I started out in Windows Paint when I was like 8 and now I'm 20 using Photoshop. I've come a long way but it's taken me awhile to get my current level of skill...

08-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Astaroth is offline Astaroth
Expertise:
Software:

Astaroth is on a distinguished road

Old

I was always curious about web design, but always spent my time on other activities. One day I had the chance to get paid for learning, bingo. Lots of tuts, books and real person advice. That's for coding.

With Photoshop I loved playing with it since a kid...

08-13-2008, 11:27 PM
jasonm56 is offline jasonm56
Expertise: xhtml/css, jquery, php, mysql
Software:

jasonm56 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jasonm56

Old

actually I sucked when I first started and pretty much gave up. I started to mess around and do a bunch of graphic design stuff. Now, about a year later, I re-tried doing some web designs and so far its working out. I guess I just needed a better understanding of colors and layouts, ect first.

08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
ibumoden is offline ibumoden
Software:

ibumoden is on a distinguished road

Old

Good question. Short and sweet answer - a lot of coffee, a lot of tearing my hair out, tons of late nights, skinned knees and bruises LOL. Ok it is not always that bad. There are days you feel on top of the world for figuring out certain things. But for me it is just jumping in and doing it.

08-26-2008, 02:04 AM
NorMonark is offline NorMonark
Software:

NorMonark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to NorMonark

Old

Well I would have to give half of the credit to my brother, couple years ago his work is what gave me an inspiration. Other then that, I began understanding how to do this and that by web development communities.

09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Sarahlee is offline Sarahlee
Expertise:
Software:

Sarahlee is on a distinguished road

Old

Well, I started by just getting the CS3 verision of photoshop and CS3 version of Dreamweaver. From there I just messed around at first with premade PSD files and seen what I could do better by messing with the settings, gettting all clicker happy (good thing there is an undo button). After that, I went on tutorial hunts to see what I could learn from videos...I practice at least once a day what Ive learned to make sure I know it by heart. I also do free work to family and friends to gain even more practice. In design, I swear you'll learn something new everyday.

Closed Thread  
Page 8 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8