Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1152 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

NEW TALKFREELANCE DESIGN - Feedback & suggestions wanted.

Thread title: NEW TALKFREELANCE DESIGN - Feedback & suggestions wanted.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
I absolutely hate the current design, I think it is among the worst designs I've ever seen on a forum (I've seen worse, but none of them were implemented).
i'm with you here. i've been rocking legacy since day 1.

06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by TaeKwonJoe View Post
1.) The ad spot needs to go. I use Google Ad Blocker so that's just going to be a huge empty space anyways. A lot of people are going to have this same issue.
Is this sarcasm?

06-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

In terms of width guys, we could have several widths (or infinite using fluidity) via responsive web dev. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Thanked by:
Artashes (06-17-2011)
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Thanks for the input people, will keep this open for a few additional days now people are giving feedback!

06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
imchewee is offline imchewee
Software:

imchewee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
In terms of width guys, we could have several widths (or infinite using fluidity) via responsive web dev. I wouldn't worry about that too much.
I was wondering if we could do that, would make a lot of sense. I don't have much to add to the site, I really like how it looks and feels. I'm just glad we are moving past this skin and far away from the colour scheme. No offence meant, but it just isn't that appealing.

06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

Old

Originally Posted by feros View Post
Is this sarcasm?
No, I was serious. I don't see any ads on any website because my "AdBlock" extension makes them invisible. Even if I didn't use the extension, four of those ads take up quite a bit of space.

Also, regarding what I said about the colors and the look of the design:

I do agree that the current design looks like vomit after a great night on Bourbon St., but as a long-term establishment you'll want to keep something to remind people of what this place used to be. You want them to feel at home rather than a foster home. I understand that the colors might not be what you want to keep, but I would hope that someone could think of something to carry over.

I hope my suggestions and comments help.

06-17-2011, 02:15 PM
imchewee is offline imchewee
Software:

imchewee is on a distinguished road

Old

No, I was serious. I don't see any ads on any website because my "AdBlock" extension makes them invisible. Even if I didn't use the extension, four of those ads take up quite a bit of space.
I know Artashes is a generous person in terms of investing in this community, but do you really believe he wouldn't want any advertising space? Not having a dig at you, just pointing out that some form of revenue is essential. At the end of the day he will want some sort of return. I have to say that I would probably over look any advertisements that are placed there. So may be worthwhile looking into where is the best place to put them? But it may just be me who over looks that area of a design.

Little off topic, but Artashes have you considered having sponsored topics? Say in the coding section a reputable member can have his own topic stickied for a set price a month. Or even reward members who contribute with free stickies. Just a thought.

06-17-2011, 04:02 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

I know what adblock is ... I was just hoping you were joking as designing for the minority of the web that prefers to steal from hard-working web publishers is clearly not a good idea. By running adblock you're taking money out of the pockets of people who need it to create the industry you participate in.

06-17-2011, 04:38 PM
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

Old

Re: imchewee and feros

I completely understand both of you guys' point of views and agree. The AdBlock thing is just a personal preference of mine and I just wanted to point that out because it is among the top 5 Google Chrome extensions.

Perhaps that four ad spaces would work, but I think bringing it down to two would be better, but again that is just my personal opinion.

Also, maybe replacing it in the left column would help things? The "Featured Listings" and "Popular Tutorials" are going to be a HUGE part of this change and it would really suck for people to have to scroll all the way down the page to see it. I think that should be one of the first things people notice/draws them in.

If Chris and Art are willing, I'd be happy to help out with the design if Chris is willing to share the .psd file. Perhaps the new design could be a collaborative project worked on by 1-2-3 designers and the rest of the community could help those designers out by sharing their thoughts/opinions; just like this thread.

Again, just a thought.

Thanked by:
Artashes (06-18-2011)
06-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I use adblock as well, I am used to open space on sites. It doesn't bug me and I find it odd that a site would take considerations for it. Why would a site take special income cutting consideration for the people they aren't making money off of? Not that it matters to me here; I have TF white-listed.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >