Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1616 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

First meeting with client

Thread title: First meeting with client
Closed Thread    
06-13-2005, 02:29 PM
suna13 is offline suna13
Software:

suna13 is on a distinguished road

Old  First meeting with client

Hi,

I just got a call from a person saying he would like to know more about my web designing experiences and we have setup a meeting to discuss this further. What are the things/points I need to discuss and take along with me on my first meeting? Do I need to take a printed portfolio with me? If yes, do you know any links that has samples of printed portfolio, just to get an idea how it should look like, what it should contain. Is there any other pointers you would like to share with me?

Thanks,
Suna

06-13-2005, 10:36 PM
sliceandcode is offline sliceandcode
Expertise:
Software:

sliceandcode is on a distinguished road

Old

Wear a suit. Grab your most expensive pen. Look sharp.

06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Hey Suna,

My advice would be to assemble a portfolio of your best work (samples of websites, logo creatives, print work etc) perhaps you can laminate these or bind them in a folder or something. As Thien said, dress smart (not sure if a suit is essential) a shirt/trousers would be enough imo.

Oh and a handy tip, make sure you get there early! It's always better to be a little be earlier than late

06-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

I have personal folders printed up all neatly designed for each time I deal with someone. It's not always for webdesign--however it does represent you as "you know what your doing." Plus it is nice to leave a client with something to hold on and actually keep in their hands, so they can look at it at anytime, as well as compair notes and such.

Downside is--if you're not well established or have the money to spend on smaller clients, if they are indeed, you will end up not being able to do stuff like this for each client.

06-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Also on clothing--Do NOT dress in a suit. Depending upon where you are.. Dressing in a suit only makes most clients feel uncomfortable. Of course if you are marching into a building sky high in front of a board discussing you and your services--by all means wear a suit. But if you are dealing with a normal client dress business casual.

A nice colored shirt with a matching tie will go over well. Casual dress shoes and a nice pair of dress pants.(Never cargos, those are for young computer repair casual. )

Always have a pen and something to write on. It's very awkward when you are asked to do something and you need to write it down but must ask for paper.

A good form is also to ensure if you have any tatoos or visual peircing that they are not visual to the client. Speak clearly and directly. Don't overexaggerate at all. Clients have a tendancy to hear things and remember them and hold you to them.

Closed Thread