Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1561 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Would you take on a client you hate?

Thread title: Would you take on a client you hate?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
12-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Aubrey is offline Aubrey
Software:

Aubrey is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Aubrey Send a message via MSN to Aubrey

Old

Well sorry to say but you may not be a people's person. But that is okay. We all had a boss that we hated.

12-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Business and work is not about friends or how much you enjoy it--so yes, I would take on such a client.

12-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

If you hate a client but are still prepared to work with them then make sure you don't lower your standards. It would be easy to lower them out of spite, but doing so will only serve to ruin your reputation and ethics.

I myself, would never work for a client I hate, as hate is a very strong word. To me it means a lot more than someone I just dislike, it means they would be someone I wouldn't think twice about smashing to a pulp if I had a chance.

Consider each client carefully, are they able to help you further your business, or will they just drag you down?

12-30-2005, 06:33 AM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old

I probably wouldn't....Sure it's money but is it really worth the annoyance of having to talk to the person you hate?
Maybe I'm just weird - for example, a couple of weeks ago I decided not to go for a job I could have gotten, purely because the guy in charge was a dickhead at the interview. I knew I would have had a completely miserable time working with him, so I decided not to go for it. The same applies for my design work I think.

12-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Aros is offline Aros
Expertise:
Software:

Aros is on a distinguished road

Old

I would take it on provided they do not obstruct the path to completion. I do not mix business with subjective judgement.

12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
brendan is offline brendan
Software:

brendan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Julian
I myself, would never work for a client I hate, as hate is a very strong word. To me it means a lot more than someone I just dislike, it means they would be someone I wouldn't think twice about smashing to a pulp if I had a chance.
i'm with Julian on this one, i make more than enough from clients i dislike to take on a project from someone i truly hate.

If i was offered a position or project for like, Jerry Falwell or PETA, i just don't think i could accept it.

Actually after i typed that out, i may accept it, but they'd have to agree to a pretty hefty ridiculously high bid

12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Submerge is offline Submerge
Expertise:
Software:

Submerge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Submerge

Old

Originally Posted by dereklapp
well i hate lots of people, but i'd still take them on. i requie at least 1/3 up front, so if we're both aware of the difficulties i'll make it clear, i can put differences aside, but if they're going to be a **** just because, i'll drop it without a refund.

if they can be mature and not be an idiot, we'll be fine.
bingo!

12-30-2005, 08:12 PM
itaca is offline itaca
Expertise:
Software:

itaca is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to itaca Send a message via MSN to itaca

Old

I really would depend on how much work I had at the moment, the projects size and how my own life were moneywise. I mean if I had enough money then I would def. turn them down. But that is rarely the case

12-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Yang is offline Yang
Software:

Yang is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Yang

Old

Well, if the reason why I hate him/her is strong enough, then I probably wouldn't allow my service to him. It all depends on the situation.

Does the client have a hint that you dislike him? If he does, why would he approach you for your services? If he has no clue that you hate him, then it should mean that you hate him for something that he is unaware of.

12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
mderbyshire is offline mderbyshire
Software:

mderbyshire is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to mderbyshire

Old

Whether or not I would take on a client I hate would depend largely on what kind of service I was providing to the customer. If I was merely providing a service where minimal contact/communication is necessary, and I can just get on and provide the service, I dare so i'd have no problem with that.

In the area of web design / development, however, where communication and understanding is key to helping the customer achieve their goals, I doubt I would be prepared to take that customer on - not simply because I hate them, though. If I felt my hatred for that customer would hinder my ability to communicate with them properly (and perhaps increase the risk of the project failing to produce the results the client hoped for), I would consider turning that customer away.

I would prefer to turn away some business, then take someone on with whom I have a sloppy relationship, disappoint and fail them, and ruin my reputation.

At the end of the day though - if you we are talking in terms of us hating the customer (and the customer not having any hatred for us), I guess we should just try and be mature and professional about things, and not let it get in the way of the project.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >