Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 712 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Freelance or Employment

Thread title: Freelance or Employment
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
07-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Trev, I am actually a taxpayer being a freelancer

I would like to come back to your opinions and thoughts about working with new blood, or new customers (in other terms). This is very tricky, but I believe your work is what breaks the ice. If you can deliver the goods to the standard that they expect and above it, then bang - you have not only gained a maybe regular customer, but an avid supporter and friend of the business.

90% of my work in my freelance career is from referrals and existing clients, it's all about proving yourself worthy of the work

07-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Trevsweb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

its like if someone whats a skin coded and theve already presliced it i cant touch it i have to either reslice it if it looks wrong or replace it in html.

ya i just love when someone says theyve been reffered to by someone

07-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yup, it means that people respect your talent and work ethic

07-30-2004, 01:30 AM
banners2go
Expertise:
Software:

Old

The way things are going for me right now.....im preety happy being a freelancer (im not sure you can call my business that though) considering i have a website and business model of sorts......i dont really go around bidding for jobs, they come to me.

I am not a fan of working for other people, too much stress!

07-30-2004, 01:31 AM
djHAWKY is offline djHAWKY
Software:

djHAWKY is on a distinguished road

Old

I have been freelancing since I was 16. Being 19 and in college changed my views on everything. When I saw an opportunity to work for a company I took it. Right now I work for http://www.vectorwave.net/. It was an IT and software company stritly untill I came on board. WIth me and my friend Alex working for vectorwave we expanded into web design\development and print work. I must say that this option was much better for me because

a)steady flow on money (btw $300-400 contests yaxay is running and what many people pay freelancers online is a joke compared to what companies chanrge here in the city at least)

b) we (.com companies) are not as uptight as you might think. Everyone working for vectorwave knows this is not a financial group, we're all 'computer' guys. I can come in my underware and no one will care, as long as clients don't see me undressed ;o Infact instead of casual fridays vectorwave now has club friday nights... In the past 2 months I do not remember a friday night when we din't go clubin and got wasted ;x

c) T1 connection in the office.

Freelancing(on the internet) is a great way to jumpstart your career, but I do not tink you can move forward doing just that.

07-30-2004, 01:35 AM
djHAWKY is offline djHAWKY
Software:

djHAWKY is on a distinguished road

Old

I also plan on getting adobe certified by the end of this summer. In the business world if it's not on paper its bulls**t. So yeah hopefully by the end of this summer I will have a paper prooving thaty I am a qualified proffessional in my industry.

07-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Trevsweb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

ya my dad directs a medium sized business and when i heard what their site cost i had a heart attack!
that was back in the day when i was a free template kiddie

wow becoming qualified in adobe ps bet that would be a tough thing :S good luck

07-30-2004, 01:43 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

That's great about the Adobe certification, and yup it's a fact. Without diplomas of certain skills or certification it is VERY difficult to get anywhere. This is where freelance has its perks

I love your comment about freelance being a good way to start, very true

07-30-2004, 03:35 AM
stoavio is offline stoavio
Software:

stoavio is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to stoavio Send a message via MSN to stoavio

Old

I will be going for my Adobe Certification next year. It's hard to sustain yourself soley from the income freelance work generates. If you're really talented and have years upon years (8-15) experience, I'm sure you've developed a substantial amount of customers but for most the income isn't steady enough to pay bills, etc.

07-30-2004, 04:10 AM
mmorales is offline mmorales
Expertise:
Software:

mmorales is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to mmorales

Old

I am a full tiem employee at a marketing company and I enjoy it...why? We create pen designs for promotions (mainly) meaning i egt to design concepts with client outlines then have a sculptor create the 3d pen sample and its always great to see your work come in 3d and holdable. I also do freelancing when I have time usually in contests or by word of mouth. A steady paycheck keeps me going and I find it easy to balance both.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >