Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 848 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Friends thinking website design + development is easy.

Thread title: Friends thinking website design + development is easy.
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
sletts02 is offline sletts02
Expertise:
Software:

sletts02 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sletts02

Old  Friends thinking website design + development is easy.

Grrr... I hate it when friends think that website design and development is something easy, like a 10 minute job that they can get for free! I assume I did the right thing in this case? I get so many friends / aquantices / strangers say similar things!

•₪ҳ›ČΘя€Ψ‹ҳ₪••₪ҳ›Μąяνş‹ҳ₪••₪ҳ›.:βΘÐ:. ŘєĐ ĐΣмΘŊ‹ҳ₪• says:
so u gonna do my clans website
Scotty Letts >> BK << 4017 -- Happy Eashta! says:
scott bryant said he would
he said nup
and he's in your clan...
yeh...he said it takes to much time for him
I can do something for around $3 000 - $4 000, including design and development with email and 9am -> 5pm telephone support.

Alternatively you can look at vivd interactive, their prices vary however $9 000 is a good base figure.
http://www.vividgroup.com.au/WebDesi...lbPerBris.aspx
ummm............so u no....im not paying u.....u have a chance to stick ur site over my clans site...plus ive already been givin ut site to other clan leaders....
If my prices are too expensive you my want to take a look at small firms, however, you get what you pay for. Be sure to checkout their portfolios before making a descision. For a website such as your you are probally looking at $900 -> $2 000 from platypus web, although, I reccommend you look at their portfolio as their standard of work is not as high as vivid http://www.platywebs.com.au/price.php
ffs scott
Acid Green is a step up from playpus web, however, as is the price. For approximately $2 500+ you can get a well designed clan website. However, you will more than likely need to pay ongoing fees of up to $300+ per month depending if you want your website updated at all or not. http://www.acidgreen.com/web_design.html
listen dw bout it ill see if i can find some1 from my clan to do it
You may be able to find a freelance that can 'develop' your clan website for under $1 000 and then do updates on it for as little as $100 per update. Ask for quotes and research a little.
Although freelancers can be shady at best some times, therefore make sure you sign a legal binding contract and get personal identification and bank account details from the freelancer.
Hope I helped
and why cant u do it as a favour...
I will take 10% off my quoted price as a favour, alternatively we can do a trade of services and goods.

I could really go with a new house.. can your parents get me one as a favour \
u can be a real *** sometimes u no
cya dude im bugged
Alternatively, you can learn how to do it yourself. There are many TAFE and UNI courses that can set you on your way:
http://domino.swin.edu.au/__CA256F56...ument&filter=D
http://domino.swin.edu.au/__CA256F56...ument&filter=D
bye!
I hope I helped
Also, look in to the following courses:
Diploma of Information Technology (Website Development)
Certificate IV in Information Technology (Website Design)

From there you should be able to create basics websites
im good.....i like the way i am.....

04-16-2006, 02:17 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

Funny post. I appreciate your concern about prices thinking web design is easy and cheap. But step back for a second and ask why do they possibly think it is easy? Well, because tons of kids are running their own forum sites, etc. My bosses kid just set up a clan site on a free host and it looks ugly as hell, but it works.

The real problem is that people looking to have clan sites or whatever set up are youngsters most often, much like yourself. There are cheap templates available and free services to get it set up.

As for educating clients why they should pay more? It's like trying to explain to the homeless man why he should come and eat at your hundred dollar a plate resturant rather than MacDonalds... He doesn't care, he's just looking for a meal.

To make money in this industry, You need to know who the clients are who are willing to pay $. If you're going after youngsters who have no $ and are looking at a wbsite to set up for their friends, then it will simply not work out.

That said, I commend you 100% for sticking to your guns about pricing. Keep with it and if everyone did it, the industry will only get better and better. =)

04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Hero is offline Hero
Expertise:
Software:

Hero is on a distinguished road

Old

but what is the guy asking exacly ?
cuz 9000$ looks like really much for just a clanwebsite.
exept for somthing with costum cms or whatever

04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

He wants something of similar quality to:
http://www.clantemplates.com/templat..._nachtkampfer/

04-16-2006, 04:27 PM
vip-ip is offline vip-ip
Expertise:
Software:

vip-ip is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to vip-ip Send a message via AIM to vip-ip Send a message via MSN to vip-ip

Old

Originally Posted by sletts02
He wants something of similar quality to:
http://www.clantemplates.com/templat..._nachtkampfer/
Looks like he can go with just about any free template available on the web if he wants something for free

04-16-2006, 04:51 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

sletts I know you were just trying to prove a point, but you were being a huge douchebag. A clan website might have taken you 30 minutes to an hour from start to finish just doing a design and HTML. I understand doing it for free is a waste of your time, but quoting big numbers and talking to the kid like an arrogant ass isn't helping him. I know there's a real problem with underpriced design lately, but if you can convince any little clan to pay you $4,000 for a website then you have skills I haven't even read about.

04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

One of the core aspects of the business of design Scott, is to not talk down to potential clients. Always talk in plain English and always keep open as to what you can and can't do for them.

I don't know if your first post is a joke, but you acted like an arrogant little brat. Even if you are trying to justify your pricing you have to remember that all pricing is relative to each individual client. Even I have given massive discounts, and even done sites for free to get my link at the bottom of high profile sites. I became the "go to" person for all who visit those sites and are thinking of getting designs made themselves. The referrals alone, from doing low budget/free sites, have more than paid for doing the cheap/free work.

Be careful of who you burn Scott, I know you are trying to stick to your pricing, and trying to justify it, but be careful.

04-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Barbaro is offline Barbaro
Expertise:
Software:

Barbaro is on a distinguished road

Old

Sletts can't even design good anyways, good thing they didn't hire him.

04-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

He has no intention on paying any money what so ever, period. This is the third or fourth time he has asked me, I tell him that I don't have hours to waste on his project and that webdesign and development doesn't come free. This time I decided to reiterate my point by using example existing Australian companies to try and make him understand that finding someone to design a very graphically intense website, develop it then do weekly updates on it for free is very, very difficult. His clan has disbanded twice now - another reason for me not wanting to waste my time on a website that will probally last less than two months, and have very little traffic throughout that time.

His parent's own a real estate business, each time he has asked I have told him that his parents don't just give away houses as a favour or to people they know... On previous occasions I have asked him if they would be able to provide me with advertising on their flyers, and ad space in the paper - answer being no, it's not worth it.

A clan website, of the quality he was expecting (for free) is a very tall ask. Team 3D's website, which is of similar quality however came with a database driven backend (which my friend wants, however, does not want a database backend, just me to update it every time they play or have news) cost big money.

I know I came off as an ass hat, however, it does get annoying having the same person ask a multitude of times for a free service that I am not willing to give. Thank you for all that gave constructive critism...

04-17-2006, 12:53 AM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Just tell him straight out no that your not willing to do it for free rather than coming out with all the spiel.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >