Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1370 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Coding an Upload Images/Album site

Thread title: Coding an Upload Images/Album site
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
07-12-2005, 02:33 AM
170Designs is offline 170Designs
Software:

170Designs is on a distinguished road

Old

Alright thanks. I am thinking of a unique, mostly original site idea.. based on the info that I just received. Zeek, if you do not mind, can I PM you my idea and get some feedback from you?

Matt

07-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Koobi is offline Koobi
Software:

Koobi is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by 170Designs
I am not quite sure how it works at webshots myself but I know that people simply take pictures on their digital camera, then I think its safe to assume that they connect the camera/memory stick to the computer using USB and then just upload the pictures to the site and it automatically creates an album for them.
well in your first post you made it sound like you wanted the camera to automatically upload to the site.
See:

Originally Posted by 170Designs
Basically, I want to possible for people to simply upload their images from their digital cameras (without having to configure their computers or digital cameras etc.) onto the site and the site automatically creates an album out of them so the person who took the pictures can easily show their friends/family.

but if you're willing to let the user upload the file then it's pretty straight forward.
See: Chapter 38. Handling file uploads

you will probably come accross some problems while creatign this, post your problems here and we can help you out wit those.

you might also want to look into image resizing...although that involves havign certain libraries for PHP installed (assuming we are talking about PHP4 and not PHP5).

you do know that you can upload a zipped file right? PHP can uncompress the archive and place the images where you want it to go.

07-12-2005, 01:05 PM
170Designs is offline 170Designs
Software:

170Designs is on a distinguished road

Old

Well Koobi, at first I did want the user to be able to upload the images directly from the camera but I am not sure that this is even possible. If it is, then I'd rather have it possible to do so so that things (from a users point of view) are easier. But if it is not feasible, then having the user upload the images themselves will do.

About the image resizing in PHP, yes I would definitely want image resizing/compression to simply save space for the user.

The database that I would need would be really simple right? It would just create like a separate "folder" for each user and in each "folder" it would store each of their files that they uploaded. I would also obviously want to limit the amount of total space that each user has.

Finally, I have been thinking and I would like to develop a site that is free storage for anything (all file types) rather than just images. Images would most likely be the main thing for site anyway, but I want users to have the option to upload videos etc.

Site Info
Gigmax.com
YOUR SPACE, YOUR STORAGE.

Thanks,
Matt

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2