Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1061 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Server at your house

Thread title: Server at your house
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
01-21-2005, 11:41 PM
mderbyshire is offline mderbyshire
Software:

mderbyshire is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to mderbyshire

Old

Hi,

You might find that running your own site, from your own computer/server, at your own house (on your home internet connection) would work fine. You have to remember though, that in those cases, its the upload speed of your internet connection that counts (its OK, for example, having a 5Mb/s downstream, but if you only have 30kb/s upstream, that wouldn't really be any good for the job).

If you read very carefully through your ISP's Terms of Service and/or Acceptable Usage Policy, it might be that they don't in fact have anything against you using your internet connection with a server.

After all, you don't necessarily have to be running common server software (IIS, Apache, Zeus, or what not) to be running a server - many things can act as a server (and a lot of the time you may not be aware).

I think the thing that most ISP's don't want you to do, is actually use the connection for making a profit (for business/commercial use). So for example, if you was selling web hosting from a server you had wired up to your normal internet connection, you'd obviously be reselling the bandwidth you have (and making a profit from it). That, in most cases (or so i'm aware), is the thing that most ISP's don't want you to be doing.

01-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for the info Mike ! Yea, I wouldn't want to get in to selling it and junk, I just thought it might work for my own website, but as you said, it's probally a bad idea.

Thanks again !

01-22-2005, 09:00 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Michael knows his stuff

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2