Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1196 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Should this be tables or css

Thread title: Should this be tables or css
Closed Thread    
12-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Aaron Michael is offline Aaron Michael
Software:

Aaron Michael is on a distinguished road

Old  Should this be tables or css

Well I've started to code a little of the site to see if it would work an also so I know what I will be using later.

Here's the link http://life9.org/wip/jewlery.jpg
I was thinking I might have to use CSS to code this site.
If that's the case can someone please provide me a small CSS template with images just for LEARNING uses only. Thank you in advance.

-Michael John

12-15-2005, 11:39 AM
jon is offline jon
Expertise:
Software:

jon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jon Send a message via MSN to jon

Old

Why would you have to use CSS? I can’t see anything on this design that you can’t quite easily achieve using html tables.

Some people would swear by css alignment over tables any day though, if your adamant that you don’t want to use tables do a google search for some CSS tutorials.

12-15-2005, 12:31 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

Would be a straightforward CSS layout and since there is no tabular data you should avoid using tables if you can.

12-15-2005, 01:34 PM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old

I can’t see anything on this design that you can’t quite easily achieve using html tables.
by the same token, I can't see anything there that you couldn't quite easily achieve using xhtml/css with far less coding than tables .

12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Jhin is offline Jhin
Expertise:
Software:

Jhin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Jhin Send a message via AIM to Jhin Send a message via MSN to Jhin Send a message via Yahoo to Jhin

Old

I think people are afraid to use tables for what tables were intended now that there's a big push to pull away from tables to control layout. Anyone who 'must' go without using tables isn't doing themselves any favours.

In semantic design, tables can be used to hold tabular data...this means the information under specials where you have pictures and descriptions that information is tabular so it is perfectly acceptable to put them in tables. Please don't think that by going "table-less" in layout you have to go table less with content.

The actual layout of the page can be done completly in CSS. If you need help with how to float that image and caption within a paragraph take a look at the floatutorial here: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/index.htm

12-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Aaron Michael is offline Aaron Michael
Software:

Aaron Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

The problem I ran into was ... I Got the header and header break in then as I progressed to do the menu's, I split the table into a clumn so the content area has a left and a right. I split the left cell into 3 rows for the menu 1 for the top, 1 middle, 1bottum. I did the same for the other menu, I then went on to add text and the menu started to part from each other this is why I ask if I should use tables or css.

Originally Posted by Jhin
I think people are afraid to use tables for what tables were intended now that there's a big push to pull away from tables to control layout. Anyone who 'must' go without using tables isn't doing themselves any favours.

In semantic design, tables can be used to hold tabular data...this means the information under specials where you have pictures and descriptions that information is tabular so it is perfectly acceptable to put them in tables. Please don't think that by going "table-less" in layout you have to go table less with content.

The actual layout of the page can be done completly in CSS. If you need help with how to float that image and caption within a paragraph take a look at the floatutorial here: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/index.htm

12-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Jhin is offline Jhin
Expertise:
Software:

Jhin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Jhin Send a message via AIM to Jhin Send a message via MSN to Jhin Send a message via Yahoo to Jhin

Old

Well here's an example of how you can do those rounded corner boxed looks with CSS:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customcorners/

12-15-2005, 05:39 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

For another example of rounded corner boxes you can take a look at one of my WIPs - no explanation of how I did it but you may find it useful to dig into the XHTML & CSS...

http://www.designagency.us/dev1/index2.html

12-17-2005, 12:11 AM
bcd is offline bcd
Expertise:
Software:

bcd is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to bcd Send a message via MSN to bcd Send a message via Yahoo to bcd

Old

That layout should be VERY simple to code with Divs and CSS, and I don't see anything in the "Specials" box that shouldn't be coded tableless. Tables are intended for lists of data (tabular data), not pictures and captions -_-

If you need some further convincing that tables for layout are stupid, take a look at this: http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold.

It's a great comic book-style article that gets the point across very well.

Closed Thread