Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1334 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Is Starting a Freelance Company is Good Business?

Thread title: Is Starting a Freelance Company is Good Business?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
09-30-2010, 01:31 PM
N3gATiVE is offline N3gATiVE
Expertise:
Software: Photoshop & Flash

N3gATiVE is on a distinguished road

Old  Is Starting a Freelance Company is Good Business?

Hello!

I'm doing Graphics Design/Multimedia freelancing from last 2 years at sites elance.com & guru.com
i always take it as a part time job... i'm doing it from home! but from last few months i'm earning more then from my full time job!
So i thinking to leave my full time job & make my freelancing as full time!
my more then clients giving their all projects to me but i need to say them No! bcoz i can only complete 4-5 projects per day! i want to take all projects i have getting so i can earn more..~

So yesterday i thought if i should start a freelance company & hire people, give them salary then i can earn more

if somebody doing any business like this then please suggest is it good profitable business ??? for life & feature

10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
mohitindia is offline mohitindia
Software:

mohitindia is on a distinguished road

Old

Starting a freelancing company is a Good on,but i think it s bit difficult to maintain those,so you need a fair amount of people to work on.Initially its a difficult job but if it get set its gonna be a gold mine as you have a good amount of experiences.but just beware of fraud customer who wont pay payments or who are fraud.Have entire documentation of those stuff. As soon as you started the work you just mail your existing clients to which you have worked with.And those people would be back in your accounts.
Best Luck

10-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

N3gATiVE

It's a nice idea, isn't it? You've got so much business already that it seems logical to just shift over to all freelance. Unfortunately, it's not always so simple.

First, when you say you're making more money freelancing than you earn from your full-time job, are you adding back in the social benefits paid for you? If your place of employment covers or collects for health insurance, a pension, taxes, etc., then you need to make sure you've added those sums back into your equation. In the US, this may add as much as 40% to your "true" compensation. Ditto if your employer pays for your vacation time or job-related education.

I've been working as a consultant to micro-businesses and independent business owners for about 15 years, and I've been teaching courses in the basics for at least 5. I see many many people who open their own shop because they have so much freelance work, only to find that the initial momentum dies in 18 or 24 months. I don't have the current statistics at hand but in the US some enormous percentage (it could be 70%) of all small businesses don't make it to the 4th year.

Which doesn't mean if you open a business of your own you won't be successful. But if you need what you earn in order to live then you owe it to yourself to plan, and to plan well.

Here's a link to a recent article on the topic. Phyllis Korkki, "Taking the Leap to Self-Employment New York Times Published: June 19, 2010 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/jo...rkki&st=Search

10-27-2010, 10:15 AM
samuel5028 is offline samuel5028
Software:

samuel5028 is on a distinguished road

Old

Free lancing business is good option but we can earn money only for short period of time. If you have a company, then you will get good revenue as well your company name will go to next level.

10-27-2010, 02:30 PM
PaulSmith1 is offline PaulSmith1
Expertise: SEO
Software: Firefox

PaulSmith1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Yes, it is good at some extent, but you have to work hard, getting the work is the main factors, some times fear of not being paid as well.

11-05-2010, 12:50 AM
codeguru is offline codeguru
Expertise: Programming
Software: Textmate!

codeguru is on a distinguished road

Old

Freelancing is great, but you do have to work at it. The biggest disadvantage is that as soon as you stop working, no more money comes in; only bills. If I could do it again I would've worked on developing a web application/service and do freelance on the side as I work towards building a sustainable business.

$0.02

11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
energizedit is offline energizedit
Software:

energizedit is on a distinguished road

Old

Lowengard make svery good points. You really want to look at more than just gross sales of your projects. You need to consider all of the overhead your current employer pays to keep you employed and factor that in before you make the leap to self employment.

11-14-2010, 06:11 AM
SA Chaff is offline SA Chaff
Expertise: design, managing websites
Software: all the ones I need ha

SA Chaff is on a distinguished road

Old

hey do u have aim? skype? or anything i can contact you on N3gATiVE

11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
esterm2010 is offline esterm2010
Expertise:
Software:

esterm2010 is on a distinguished road

Old

Why don't you make some simpler services and get them listed?
Go to some marketplace where you can put your gigs listing ad start harvesting money
I tried fiverr, I list any gigs for the price $5. For much bigger result on earning I go to jobsfor10 and get my $5 - $20 each gig.

12-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Sounds like a tough choice, really. Maybe you should keep your job and hire some people to take care of your freelance opportunities and see how you like having employees first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >