Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1358 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Awesome article about pros/cons of freelance!

Thread title: Awesome article about pros/cons of freelance!
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old  Awesome article about pros/cons of freelance!

I found this article a while ago whilst browsing, unfortunatly i don't have the URL to quote the source, apologies for that. Anyways, have a read its quite interesting

So you think you want to start your own business? Friends tell you that you've got a flair for making good-looking business cards and fliers. You've got an inkjet printer and an old copy of QuarkXPress. You're ready to start getting paid for doing something you enjoy. Wait! First, find out if a freelance business is the right move for you.

Successful freelancing requires more than artistic talent or software proficiency. If a desktop publishing or graphic design business are your goal those are needed skills; but, first determine that you have the personality required to work for yourself.

Do you work well on your own, without direct supervision? Are you willing to get away from the computer and go hustle up clients? Can you sustain the level of productivity necessary to make a living doing what you enjoy (design) while also tackling the jobs you might not enjoy (bookkeeping, sales)?

Working for yourself has many rewards. Just don't go into it blindly. Here's a short reality checklist:

You don't get to spend all your time doing design. You have to go out and find your own clients and you have to work at keeping those clients. In addition to marketing yourself you'll also likely be doing all your own bookkeeping as well as acting as your own purchasing agent, receptionist, advertising department, and mail room clerk. These jobs all take up significant amounts of time.

Self-employment doesn't mean you keep all the money for yourself. Checks from clients may add up to a bigger amount than the paycheck you got from your employer, but it has to cover your operating expenses and self-employment taxes too. You can't charge the hourly rate you made as an employee or even just a little bit more and expect to make money. You have to be confident enough to charge what you're worth and what you need in order to have enough money to pay your expenses and pay yourself.

Business expenses are not money in the bank. Uncle Sam (US-IRS) doesn't give you back all your business expenses at the end of the year. Your expenses are deductions from your profits so you pay taxes on a lesser amount. That's a good thing, yes. But it's not the same as "getting back everything you spent." And, you must keep good records of business expenses.

You can't take off whenever you want. If you want to do freelance work because it allows you to take a vacation whenever you want, sleep late, or close up shop on a whim, think again. Certainly you are able to do those things more freely than with an employer but you must remember that you don't work in a vacuum. You must keep reasonable hours in order to be available to meet with clients and prospects. You can't take off on the spur of the moment when you have a major job at the print shop requiring your supervision. Freelance work offers flexibility but it doesn't give you carte blanche to only work when you feel like it. The business depends on you. There's no one in the next cubicle to take up the slack when you decide to call in sick.

12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

interesting read, i think the main thing people need to get their head around is the fact that you wont just make money from a quick a bit of work it takes time and dedication to get results

12-16-2004, 06:10 PM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

x3knet is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to x3knet Send a message via MSN to x3knet Send a message via Yahoo to x3knet

Old

I must disagee with your statement Bazza statement.

You are able to make a quick buck by doing a little job. For instance, I made $20 on a brand new header design for a client I have. It's not a lot, but it's still profit.

12-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Old

yeh i know i didnt mean it like that lemme explain it better. . . .

im talking about people who are new to design, people who are just starting out. . . it seems alot of people think you can 'learn' photoshop in an instance and that after just a short time and a few tutorials you can make something worth selling, ok what they make it might sell but imo this is a bad way of going about it as it sets you off on the wrong foot if you know what i mean. . .it takes alot of time and dedication to get to the level we all want to be at

i know what you mean about earning a quick $$ i have done that ALOT myself, making a quick 1hr template and selling it for $30 when im short on money i often do this, even tho' i HATE doing it that way as i feel im taking steps back whenever i make a quick template and people who see my quick templates going cheap would expect one of my 'better' templates to go for the same price

hope that cleared up the point i was trying to make

12-16-2004, 07:19 PM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to x3knet Send a message via MSN to x3knet Send a message via Yahoo to x3knet

Old

LoL, yeah it did.

I have someone IMing me all the time on AIM and he wants to learn photoshop. And he's like "I want to make money!" So I told him to learn photoshop he said "Oh okay great, so I can start all this up in like 2 weeks right?" and I'm like "uhhh.... good luck then dude." LoL.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

12-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Old

lol yeh i have quite a few people on my MSN that say the exact same things to me lol

12-16-2004, 09:54 PM
karl472001 is offline karl472001
Software:

karl472001 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to karl472001

Old

Great article Robson.

It is a nice read!

12-31-2004, 01:05 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

"Oh okay great, so I can start all this up in like 2 weeks right?"
I believe you can, if he sat down and took a week to learn photoshop, tutorials, trial and error etc. I do agree he won't be that good but i can assure you he will definitly make a few sales (even if it is for $10 banners at webhostingtalk).

12-31-2004, 04:41 PM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

Old

That could be true... but most people don't have that devotion to do that.

01-15-2005, 08:32 AM
mlindi is offline mlindi
Expertise:
Software:

mlindi is on a distinguished road

Old

Good article, Robson. I might have added that it's good to keep a journal of your daily activities to help keep an eye to the 'bottom line'. It keeps you sharp. :-)

- Matt

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >