Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1447 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

Analysis for Library System - Help Needed

Thread title: Analysis for Library System - Help Needed
Closed Thread    
12-06-2005, 12:24 AM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old  Analysis for Library System - Help Needed

I've been assigned to carry out a Systems Investigation on a bookkeeping/library system at my local library. This would seem like a fairly easy task to do, but I'm absolutely stumped on what I can ask the senior librarian when I interview her. Call it writers block if you wish, but I'm clueless on what to ask about what kind of systems (computerised and manual-categorical systems) they'd use there (which I guess could be a question in itself). The whole point at the moment is to gain an understanding on how it works so I can turn it into a Requirements Specification. I don't have long to do this in (about a day to get it done nicely on the deadline), so any help with coming up with a few simple questions would be very much appreciated.

Also since it's a good idea to observe the system and how it's run at the moment myself, any ideas on what to look for would be excellent.

Thanks in advance.

12-06-2005, 08:56 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi there,

Are you simply investigating the system or building a new one? I've done degree level software engineering and a project based around something very similar but we actually had to build it

Anyways, i'm going to take a stab at the things you might want to consider.

Firstly, you're going to want to find out as much as possible about how the current system actually functions at a low level and a high level from here you can construct your data flow diagrams/context level diagrams to give a clear understanding of the functions. You might want to find out if the library has a membership system and how that works.

From here it would be very easy to turn them into a requirements specification. Are you doing functional/non-functional or general user requirements? From the top of my head you might have things like...

1. The system must allow members to borrow multiple books.

Note - It's important to define between the different users of the system, if you just say "user" it could be the customer/admin/staff etc.

I can help you ALOT more but really need more information on the whole project, I didn't want to write up a huge post if it's totally off the mark.

:reindeer:

12-06-2005, 05:39 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Hi there,

Are you simply investigating the system or building a new one? I've done degree level software engineering and a project based around something very similar but we actually had to build it

Anyways, i'm going to take a stab at the things you might want to consider.

Firstly, you're going to want to find out as much as possible about how the current system actually functions at a low level and a high level from here you can construct your data flow diagrams/context level diagrams to give a clear understanding of the functions. You might want to find out if the library has a membership system and how that works.

From here it would be very easy to turn them into a requirements specification. Are you doing functional/non-functional or general user requirements? From the top of my head you might have things like...

1. The system must allow members to borrow multiple books.

Note - It's important to define between the different users of the system, if you just say "user" it could be the customer/admin/staff etc.

I can help you ALOT more but really need more information on the whole project, I didn't want to write up a huge post if it's totally off the mark.

:reindeer:
I'd love to have more information, but that's really all I've been given myself. All it says on the brief is "The purpose of this interview is to gain a full understanding of the way the libraries lending and cataloguing system works." From this I need to turn it into a Requirements Specification to cover all data inputs and outputs, samples of screens, reports, forms, etc (if the library chooses to give me examples, meaning I need to find a way of asking them very politely), and extra attention on the processes of the system. Once I've done that, it's onto the Level 1 DFD and ERD (For which I will be using Select SSADM).

Past this, I'm completely stumped. All of this has to be stuffed into a report consisting of 2,000 words (which shouldn't be too hard once I have the data I need).

As far as I've read, it just seems to be a general user requirements. You definately seem to be on the right track for what I am asking.

BTW. This is degree level too. I'm sure you've already felt my pain.

EDIT: In about 10 hours I'll need to do my interview, so if no one else posts I would like a moderator to close this thread.

Closed Thread