Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1389 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Time = Money .... Or Maybe Not?

Thread title: Time = Money .... Or Maybe Not?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
11-20-2009, 11:36 PM
ChrisGwynne is offline ChrisGwynne
Expertise: Development
Software: TextMate, Transmit, Photoshop.

ChrisGwynne is on a distinguished road

Old  Time = Money .... Or Maybe Not?

Maybe I live in a pre-historic time where time = money. At least that's what I always thought?

It makes me laugh when I get PMs off users asking me for a quote to code a design, I specify my rates and then they come back with.. "sorry I'm not looking to pay that much" or "I can get it done for $10"... Like, seriously, if you're looking for a ten year old to do your work, go for it, maybe they'll do an amazing job... and maybe they won't. The fact of the matter is, they nor you understand the concepts of time and self worth.

Maybe I should start adding, if you're thinking of under $xxx amount don't even bother. And then defer them to the nearest cheap as chips coder?

What do you think?

11-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

The rules have not changed, nothing is free and quality has a high price. A cheap coder is cheap for a reason, if they were that good they would be making better money with it.

11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
3styler is offline 3styler
Software:

3styler is on a distinguished road

Old

Yes it does, but the internet is a global market so you can outsource to Countries like India and Romania where cost of living is much lower as well as wages and find very competent & skilled programmers for a fraction of the cost as someone from a Western Country.

11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by ChrisGwynne View Post
Maybe I live in a pre-historic time where time = money. At least that's what I always thought?

It makes me laugh when I get PMs off users asking me for a quote to code a design, I specify my rates and then they come back with.. "sorry I'm not looking to pay that much" or "I can get it done for $10"... Like, seriously, if you're looking for a ten year old to do your work, go for it, maybe they'll do an amazing job... and maybe they won't. The fact of the matter is, they nor you understand the concepts of time and self worth.

Maybe I should start adding, if you're thinking of under $xxx amount don't even bother. And then defer them to the nearest cheap as chips coder?

What do you think?
Don't mean to generalise, but I think you'll find a great deal of the users on this forum don't have reasonable budgets (and I speak from experience because I used to be the guy that only had $100 to spend on coding). Those that do know who they are (so won't need to come and display it in response to this ). But if I were you I would not send quotes off to responses on this forum, unless you get given a clear budget that sounds reasonable.

11-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Shanks is offline Shanks
Software:

Shanks is on a distinguished road

Old

Not everybody's time is worth the same amount.

11-26-2009, 06:46 AM
NoahAndrew is offline NoahAndrew
Expertise:
Software:

NoahAndrew is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to NoahAndrew

Old

Originally Posted by ChrisGwynne View Post

What do you think?
I'll tell you the way not to get clients: Post about how potential clients are cheap to you when they don't want to or even can't pay $xxx amount of money. How about instead, kindly say, thank you for considering me and if you happen to need my help in the future let me know. Good example of poor business ethic right here. Say what you want, but you know it's true.

11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Some people need to get there head out of the 90's. Web development isn't a rare skill anymore, and it's obvious the market has since become saturated to a point where you can get a good design for $100.

11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Some people need to get there head out of the 90's. Web development isn't a rare skill anymore, and it's obvious the market has since become saturated to a point where you can get a good design for $100.
Good design is relative.

You might get an okay design for $100, you definitely won't get any decent programming for $100 and you'd be lucky to get more than two pages coded to proper HTML&CSS for $100.

Let alone gettin any of those services from a reliable source for that amount.

11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Elegant Banners is offline Elegant Banners
Expertise: UI Design
Software: Photoshop, Firefox, Notepad++

Elegant Banners is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Elegant Banners Send a message via Skype™ to Elegant Banners

Old

Originally Posted by Jeff Andersen View Post
You'd be lucky to get more than two pages coded to proper HTML&CSS for $100.
QualityXHTML, exactly $120 for two pages with a 7 day turnaround, I think that's close enough

11-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

It would depend on where and how hard you're looking.

I once knew a college school student who rarley charged over $100 to code a design (he was happy just getting his next video game fix), and now he is working at some large development firm charging $1000+ and onwards.

lol @6creations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >