Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 995 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Is it wise to refuse post count raising in specific forums?

Thread title: Is it wise to refuse post count raising in specific forums?
04-23-2013, 02:46 AM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

vVv is on a distinguished road

Old  Is it wise to refuse post count raising in specific forums?

I forget now which forums here didn't count towards a user's post count? But I noticed some Admin Forums lately, where they have Member Introductions and General Discussion sections set, that any posts made in those sections won't raise your post count...

Do you think that is a wise thing to do? IMHO, I think it should count if posting in Member Introduction and General Discussion sections, because at least the members are taking the time to introduce themselves and create discussion topics. However, at the same time, too many can post there just to post bomb those sections, to get more "points" and "post count" up higher.

Posting Intros and General Discussions aren't usually "high quality / worthy" content for a forum. But, I guess some are though too, what's your take?

04-23-2013, 03:06 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

The reason it was implemented was because we used to restrict the marketplace by posts. Theoretically it was to prevent users from posting massive amount of crap for no reason. It was completely ineffective. I was never a fan of post based restrictions, they only encourage bad posting. I would generally ban members who did that.

Thanked by:
vVv (04-23-2013)
04-23-2013, 03:10 AM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
The reason it was implemented was because we used to restrict the marketplace by posts. Theoretically it was to prevent users from posting massive amount of crap for no reason. It was completely ineffective. I was never a fan of post based restrictions, they only encourage bad posting. I would generally ban members who did that.
Ah right, I remember that now. Too many just joined here, to post tons of marketplace threads to make sales and didn't bother posting else where at all really. I remember the post count limit thing not working great either, because it just had users posting "junk posts" all over too. Then you all went by the Points system for accessing Marketplace right, like 10 to 14 points? Er, I mean being member 3 to 4 days first.

So basically you're saying, just allow all areas to raise post counts, and do like a points system or what-not, for limiting specific usergroups to specific areas.

04-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

The whole forum system is getting outdated. How many posts you've made is no real indication of anything. This guy has almost as many posts as you. I think this, among other reasons, is why forums are dying as a whole. In terms of how to run a forum, I think time registered is the best way to gauge it. If they still remember your forum after a few days it means they might want to participate. The majority of post and leave people find every webmaster forum they can on Google and post in literally all of them. Once you get rid of those the marketplace starts to become a perk for members. There are plenty of people who wait their time and add this site to their marketing list, only ever coming to post. Not much you can do to prevent this.

04-23-2013, 04:02 AM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
The whole forum system is getting outdated. How many posts you've made is no real indication of anything. This guy has almost as many posts as you. I think this, among other reasons, is why forums are dying as a whole. In terms of how to run a forum, I think time registered is the best way to gauge it. If they still remember your forum after a few days it means they might want to participate. The majority of post and leave people find every webmaster forum they can on Google and post in literally all of them. Once you get rid of those the marketplace starts to become a perk for members. There are plenty of people who wait their time and add this site to their marketing list, only ever coming to post. Not much you can do to prevent this.
Clicking to view that guy doesn't show anything for me haha. But I know what you're getting at though. And yeah, I was thinking about the forums being killed off long ago, since most just use or rather use other things online to stay in touch with people or share information with people and etc.

Like Facebook.com, Twitter, Wikis, Deviantart, Flickr, Instagram, tumblr, and other sites to get info quickly or share pictures and get feedback and still stay connected with "friends". The downside to some of those though, is things get buried quickly too. Post on facebook today, and many posts after it, and it's pita finding it two weeks from now lol.

I think you're right though regarding "time registered" is probably the best thing to do, and possibly by "points" as well. With the forum software I'm using to setup new community forum, it has options for "points" and "After Days" past after registration time. Then that moves the users to specific usergroups with specific permissions for like specific forums and etc.

Currently, to help segregate legit users from possible spam users, is I made new usergroup called "Member". Registered users after earning 15 points, gets automatically made part of "Member" group.

If they make one thread = 10 points.
If they make one post = 5 points.
If they make User Blog post = 5 or 10 points.

So if they're being active, they earn more points according to what they're doing / posting. Which of course, "Member" usergroup has basically all the same features and functions as "Registered" usergroup. Well, maybe a little difference, because I limited "Registered" users to like 5 Private Messages, and limit the attachment size per attachment. It's a little less than "Member" usergroup's is.

Usually if registered users are going to spam and etc, they're caught quickly anyway and taken care of. I usually don't like to do too many restrictions of course, because then that drives users away as well. Too many hurdles and hoops to jump through to be a member drives them off. I guess if I make a Marketplace section, I could just make a "Seller" usergroup that requires them to be member for X to XX days or X to XX points first, or both.

And yeah, if they can remember your forum, it's a good thing haha. Well, like Talkfreelance for example. I couldn't forget this place ever. Just a shame where it's heading.. Going on almost half year, and owner still AWOL/MIA. . Could be/ could have been an awesome place like it once was before.