Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1619 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

SEO Mistakes

Thread title: SEO Mistakes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
04-09-2010, 07:18 AM
HarryJackson is offline HarryJackson
Software:

HarryJackson is on a distinguished road

Old  SEO Mistakes

There are some important SEO mistakes
1. Unethical SEO Consultants :
Nowadays, u can see many Companies providing SEO services. Some SEO guys use purely ethical SEO techniques, while others use unethical SEO. Even the person who hired the SEO guy do not know about this. When his site get punished that time he came to know.
So the conclusion is, if you want to hire SEO, choose a reputable SEO consultant, one who will keep in regular contact with progess reports and updates.

2.Use of black-hat techniques :
Same as i mentions above, techniques such as doorway pages, stuffing keywords, hidden text etc are the examples of black-hat tech. So if you want long term success, avoid such techniques.

3.Expecting Immediate Results :
you wil never get immediate results in SEO. You must have patience in you. Succesful SEO requires good link building which takes time. SO you must agree to spend lots of time with good patience.

4.In-house optimization :
In past even now also many people think, they can do SEo their own. They feel SEO is an easy task to do.
But SEO is not that much easy. It involves undrstanding google's complicated algo. and according to that they have to optimize the site to rank well in SEs.

5.Untargeted keywords :
Many times some SEO ignore main keywords and only work for untargeted keywords. After getting good rankings, if they dont get enough traffic, they complain about that.
So they have to choose right keywords for optimization which give them good traffic.

6.Unneccessary graphics and flash :
Many webdesigners, just for good looking of sits put heavy graphics and flash in site. As you know crawlers dont crawl graphics or flash. So avoid putting havy flash or graphics on site instead put combination of small graphics / flash with good amount of unique content.

7.non-relevant link :
As you know if you have more backlinks, chances of getting good ranking in google increased. But many SEOs just count irrelevant links as a backlinks. They dont care whether the backlinks coming from are relevant with their site or not. Google dont consider such links.

8.Multiple SE submission :
Nowadays search engine submission is not necessary. Sites get indexed and ranked naturally if they have related backlinks with them. Multiple submissions may consider as an attempt to spam the search engines.

9.Title tag :
We can see many title tags of different sites have their company or product name. But recommended is you shoud place your main keywords or keyphrases in title tag. Also keep title tag less than 65 character long.

10.All search engines are not same :
Many people think all search engines are same. Optimize your content, keywords, links so that there is something for at least one of the three top search engines.

04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Middlewest is offline Middlewest
Software:

Middlewest is on a distinguished road

Old

Great tips, thanks for sharing. About point number 4, what's wrong with in house optimization? I think some webmasters do SEO their own because they want to learn about it. Also, they may want to avoid hiring unethical SEO consultants like you describe in point number 1.

04-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Charley is offline Charley
Software:

Charley is on a distinguished road

Old

All are great points for us to know what "not" to do or expect. How about number 3, is it always true that we need to wait for the SEO to work? How long is the average time of waiting until we see some good results if we have done SEO correctly?

04-13-2010, 06:15 PM
noboss is offline noboss
Software:

noboss is on a distinguished road

Old

I agree that multiple submissions to a search engine is not advised and even considered as spamming. But I think it's still worth to submit your websites to search engines to get them faster indexed by the search engines.

04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
siteholder is offline siteholder
Software:

siteholder is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

As you know if you have more backlinks, chances of getting good ranking in google increased. But many SEOs just count irrelevant links as a backlinks. They dont care whether the backlinks coming from are relevant with their site or not. Google dont consider such links.
Google counts all backlinks. It's just that they give more weight to those from highly relevant sites that match your content. High PR links are also weighted more. But that doesn't change the fact that it counts every link so the only thing to be avoided is links from bad neighborhoods.

04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

Those are some good tips.

The only tip I don't fully agree is - '6.Unneccessary graphics and flash'.
This is the reason we have google sitemaps.

04-16-2010, 07:39 PM
4U2NV is offline 4U2NV
Software:

4U2NV is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by weblover50 View Post
The only tip I don't fully agree is - '6.Unneccessary graphics and flash'. This is the reason we have google sitemaps.
It may slow your site if you have to much of those, Speed of your websites is one factor of google algo right now.. Your site must be fast to load..

04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
cbri is offline cbri
Expertise:
Software: notepad

cbri is on a distinguished road

Old

1, 2 and 7 are my biggest issues with people that I run into on the net, even worse is when the person will cop to both 1 and 2 while trying to sell you their services. What is wrong with these people?

04-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Nile Hadwards is offline Nile Hadwards
Software:

Nile Hadwards is on a distinguished road

Old  Re:

You wrote really informative points. Thanks for sharing with community.

04-23-2010, 08:43 AM
mayumi is offline mayumi
Expertise: writing
Software: GIMP

mayumi is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by HarryJackson View Post
3.Expecting Immediate Results :
you wil never get immediate results in SEO. You must have patience in you. Succesful SEO requires good link building which takes time. SO you must agree to spend lots of time with good patience.
Hi!

How long usually would positive results be seen - higher SE ranking, and good click through rate?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >