Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1092 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

TalkFreelance Just Isn't The Same

Thread title: TalkFreelance Just Isn't The Same
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
10-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Purge is offline Purge
Expertise:
Software:

Purge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge

Old

Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I'm quite a new member, but I will say (and please don't take this the wrong way) that the management of this site is poor, and rarely do we see updates. As mentioned prior to my post, everything seems to take a lot longer than normal with this forum, eg the JS popup window and the news section. Why even go live without sorting this kind of thing out? Good forums generally have frequent updates (big or small) that keep the members talking, excited, proud to be moving on.

The delay on the skin created a lot of anger towards the site I feel. The wait was so long that it was nearly digged at in every post. Had the management decided to keep a skin release subtle and not make too much fuss, imagine how delighted some people would have been to just see one go live. That would be the exact reverse to what has happened.

Forum activity is also a huge downfall, without the posts the forum is nothing. Some people in this thread have pointed out that quality articles and posts are needed, but I suggest the number of people seeking knowledge far outweighs the number of people with the knowledge. Many of us are still on a learning curve.

We need someone to take over the forum that is passionate about it, someone who's not in it for the money. I have yet to see Zee come here and defend himself. Clearly he doesn't have time for this forum, it's too big a roll for him to take on.
I have been here no where near the amount of time most of you have, but, after reading this topic, and the multiple posts; I actually agree with Seb; let me explain. Since I have joined TFL I have not seen many updates nor contests. I firmly believe that if more competitions were hosted; even if they are weekly or monthly competitions that it would help activity wise and even bring in new members.

When I first joined before the new skin was added to TFL I believe there was more activity. There were replies in topics that I made within a couple of minutes. Now there are topics that are days old that have not even been replied to.

I am not asking all of you to agree with me, after all I am only 15 and don't have much experience in this area. But all it takes is some common sense to fix a problem such as this one.

10-28-2007, 09:13 PM
SteveAR is offline SteveAR
Software:

SteveAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via AIM to SteveAR Send a message via MSN to SteveAR Send a message via Skype™ to SteveAR

Old

well i might post a contest then and get things started.

10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I posted up a quick little competition in the Freelance Giveaways area 34 hours ago. That topic has two replies, none of which are anything useful towards the competition or fun feeling of the thread which has a tiny count of 68 views. Two views per hour -- I'm not joking! Couple that with my previous contest here (the iPhone wallpapers one), the lack of participation (compared to events of old) is leading me to really debate whether I should provide any more fun little topics for the people here -- or not here as it seems.

10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Wildhoney is offline Wildhoney
Expertise:
Software:

Wildhoney is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Wildhoney Send a message via MSN to Wildhoney Send a message via Yahoo to Wildhoney

Old

Somehow I think some changes need to come from the top first. Otherwise all we'll be getting is a congratulations from the Guiness World Records for the biggest community involved in one example of mass futility.

I was considering starting a topic where members could suggest improvements: the reasons why, how they think it'll improve the community, etc. and then allow members to vote on each one. However, I think before we do that we need a promise from Big Zee that the changes will be implemented in a reasonable time for their size. That way we won't be wasting our time. It makes me wonder because I'd have at least expected a response from Big Zee to this thread. After all, he is the owner - he says what is implemented and what isn't.

10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

Big Zee hasn't visited the forums since this thread was created. ;o

10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
SteveAR is offline SteveAR
Software:

SteveAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via AIM to SteveAR Send a message via MSN to SteveAR Send a message via Skype™ to SteveAR

Old

well i posted my contest and i linked a thread on DP to here hoping it does something.

10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Purge is offline Purge
Expertise:
Software:

Purge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge

Old

Originally Posted by Wildhoney View Post
Somehow I think some changes need to come from the top first. Otherwise all we'll be getting is a congratulations from the Guiness World Records for the biggest community involved in one example of mass futility.

I was considering starting a topic where members could suggest improvements: the reasons why, how they think it'll improve the community, etc. and then allow members to vote on each one. However, I think before we do that we need a promise from Big Zee that the changes will be implemented in a reasonable time for their size. That way we won't be wasting our time. It makes me wonder because I'd have at least expected a response from Big Zee to this thread. After all, he is the owner - he says what is implemented and what isn't.
I think that is a great idea. But yes, it seems kind of odd how Big Zee has not even replied to this topic yet. I don't think we necessarily need permission to create a topic to post suggestions in for TFL. As long as it is for the betterment of TFL why shouldn't we?

10-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Purge View Post
I think that is a great idea. But yes, it seems kind of odd how Big Zee has not even replied to this topic yet. I don't think we necessarily need permission to create a topic to post suggestions in for TFL. As long as it is for the betterment of TFL why shouldn't we?
Well Zee's not gonna do it that's for sure (start a topic), so go ahead and do it.

10-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Lance... is offline Lance...
Expertise:
Software:

Lance... is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lance...

Old

Hey guys. Alright before you read, please note that I really hope you DO read it as I think it could be useful. I hope so anyway.

OK so again, I'm also new here. But I'm certainly not new to forums and maintenance. Now, reading this topic has made me realise just how similar the situation is to what I went through once with a community of my own. So rather than saying what's going wrong here, I will instead try and point out a few things to do and what not to do, from experience.

OK, so this competition thing. In my opinion guys, it's not going to help all that much. Like mentioned earlier in this topic, it causes interest in the signup stages and the beginning, but afterwards, that's it. Dead again. They are indeed a waste of time as far as using them to build up a community again. Don't take that the wrong way though, contests are great fun, but they really aren't the answer to reviving a forum.

Secondly, a community MUST HAVE a solid ownership and staff maintenance. I mean really it must. The members can only do so much in keeping it running. I've seen it happen before, staff/ownerships slacks off to the point of negligence and presumes that there is enough people to cope by themselves. Serioulsy, not a good idea! If there is anything I have learned about keeping forums alive (as an owner), it's to actually NOT foucus completely on the forums themselves, but on the actual site and everything non-board related. By this I mean making sure the site is kept up to date and visually appealing for first impressions. I agree, unfinished websites give off negative vibes and could potentially repel new members.

Alright I do have a suggestion here if anybody is interested. Now this goes for both the old skin and this skin. If I was a visitor for the first time here, the first thing I would notice is the lack of information about the place. I mean really look at it. All there is a logo and suddenly a load of forum windows and boxes and info that some people may not understand. There is NOTHING that says "Welcome! TF is THE place to be for a great experience in both learning the ways of freelance marketing and gaining the much needed confidence to build your future. So please, take a moment to register and be a part of the great community that is, Talk Freelance!" Instead I see this: "Right, you're here now. Let's just get on with it." There is NO visual introduction whatsoever.

Another thing is how TF portrays the "professional" image. This really puts me off a lot of places, it's how every rules/guidlines topic or anything on the site is so darn strict. Professional does not mean you have to be boring, not use smilies and be straight to the point. In this case, it's about how you handle your work, situations and people, not how well you can spell and how serious you look in writing. I LOVE to see a laid-back forum with a chilled mood. It can still be professional, but can also be FUN! Look at www.cartoonsmart.com for example. That guy is serioulsy professional but look at his site! He's the coolest dude ever But very business minded too. You CAN be both.

I'm typing a lot here. I do have more to say but I shall wait until (if) I get a reply. Thanks for your time peoples

Peace, Lance

10-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Zee hasn't been on because he has a very busy life and he never is online during the weekends. I figured most people would know that by now, considering he never has been online during the weekend before (at least as long as I can remember).

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >