Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 994 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

How did you start learning?

Thread title: How did you start learning?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
10-14-2006, 01:36 PM
mike49085 is offline mike49085
Expertise:
Software:

mike49085 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to mike49085

Old  How did you start learning?

I was just wondering how the web designers here started to learn html. Did you use a program or start from scratch like htmlgoodies.com?

www.vipwinner.net

10-14-2006, 02:12 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

I first started learning HTML back in 1996 with HTMLib, a windows help-file type thing that defined each tag and it's attributes. With this knowledge I created all of my pages in Notepad.

10-14-2006, 02:29 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

I used Microsoft Frontpage to begin with.

I figured out a way to learn how to code properly using that on my own. This is how i did it..

In FrontPage, there are many many different tools you can use that simply puts the code in for you. Right... well, that best part is that you can select weather you see it as code view or design view.

Well.. first of all, lets say i wanted to know how a table is coded. I went to the design view, stuck a single celled table on.. then, took a look at the code view, and there it was. After about 2 week, i understood how html worked.

Then, i went further on reading on different websites for further html language explanation.. after about 5 weeks i pretty much knew html. And now, for me.. HTML is like abc.. and zyx.

Nowadays, there's websites that will give you a good explanation of every tag and attributes, just like seen.to said.. so you could simply take a search with mans best friend. Google.

Or take a look at, w3schools. That will help you.

10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Hero is offline Hero
Expertise:
Software:

Hero is on a distinguished road

Old

i just followed tutorials first on how to code
i started with using the photoshop slice page and save for web tool, wich is really crap.
Then i started making table layouts with dreamweaver, i didn't type my tables myself
and now i learnd how to make css layouts and i type all th code myself. i just use dreamweaver for it's nice colors in my code

10-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Digit is offline Digit
Expertise:
Software:

Digit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Digit Send a message via MSN to Digit

Old

Originally Posted by mike49085
I was just wondering how the web designers here started to learn html. Did you use a program or start from scratch like htmlgoodies.com?

www.vipwinner.net
I started with playing with other peoples code, and seeing what different things did, with the help of some sources online. I then progressed to Dreamweaver and started messing around with doing things from scratch, and making simple splash pages for some website. I think dealing with the actually code instead of just reading is a must. Find a website online, then download the images/source code. Open up a text editor and start seeing what different things do. It's the best way to learn!

10-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Bas is offline Bas
Expertise: Frontend, vBulletin
Software: Coda, Photoshop

Bas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bas

Old

I followed the HTML tutorial on w3schools about 3 years ago.

10-14-2006, 03:54 PM
RaZoR^ is offline RaZoR^
Software:

RaZoR^ is on a distinguished road

Old

I started coding web pages for an online multi-gaming league system with quite a large community. I started by viewing help sites that basically just gave you codes. I copied and pasted until they made pages.

Then I Google'd for HTML tutorials and got the w3schools HTML tutorial. I went through that twice, got 100% in the quiz then I started browsing the other languages on the left hand side. So I then progressed onto CSS implementation and the extension of HTML in XHTML.

After that someone from the help site I used to go on took a look at one of my pages and though he liked my design and layout, he critisized the standards of coding that I'd use. That's when I started looking into standards compliance in XHTML and CSS and he explained about accessibility very briefly. So then I went and Google'd web accessibility and started reading through the WAI's guidelines.

After that I went back to the w3schools site and began learning XML, XSLT, XPath, XForms and DTD. By the end of all that I'd gathered a load of information on how HTML documents should be structured, why they should be structured in each way and how different browsers handle different nodes differently (DDD ). From all that I'd also learnt a lot about how to not use tables but to go for block-level elements such as dividers, spans and paragraphs.

Bit of a mixture but a lot of it was viewing other people's work, firguring out what stuff does, trying to reform it on my own and then trial and error'ing it.

10-14-2006, 03:57 PM
rasberry is offline rasberry
Expertise:
Software:

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rasberry

Old

I read SitePoint's "xhtml/css" book.
It helped me incredibly! I recommend books from http://www.sitepoint.com to anyone.

10-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Spawny is offline Spawny
Expertise:
Software:

Spawny is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Spawny Send a message via MSN to Spawny

Old

When I first used HTML it was about 3-4 years ago, when I was in this wrestling thing, and you could use HTML on the boards they posted on, but at that time I didn't realise what it could be used for.

Then I accidentally found the "View Source" when I was just looking around Internet Explorer and I noticed that the writing on there looked similar to the things I was writing on these wrestling boards, so I started to explore.

Then I learnt about tables, but I have never been very good at them. By this point I had downloaded Microsoft Frontpage, because some people had told me about it and I was interested in making websites. (Silly mistake to learn using a WYSIWYG.)

So I started copying the source code and pasting it into Frontpage's HTML view and changing things around and see what would happen. I learnt quite a lot from doing this, but none of it was practical, as in creating web pages from scratch.

Then I stopped for a while, found other interests etc. But then I started getting back into it, and learnt about XHTML, read up about it, and started trying it practically, writing it myself instead of using Frontpage. I'm still learning, but I am a lot better now at it. I bought a book at the beginning of this year to learn from and use it as a reference if I need it, but now I am gaining more confidence by coding more complicated layouts.

10-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Marky is offline Marky
Expertise:
Software:

Marky is on a distinguished road

Old

The first web language I learn't was HTML and I learn't by just practising. I only learn't a little because I then went on to learning PHP and I learn't that purely from helping people with their forum problems. I found that by continueally looking at the code and seeing how things work that way, it just clicked From the PHP work, I learn't little streams of HTML THE END

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >