Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 871 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Questions from someone new to the Business.

Thread title: Questions from someone new to the Business.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
07-26-2011, 07:34 PM
YogiKB is offline YogiKB
Expertise:
Software:

YogiKB is on a distinguished road

Old  Questions from someone new to the Business.

Hello everyone,

I have been doing websites for myself and others (unpaid) and wish to start designing as a profession. Had some questions.

1) Quotes. I plan to quote, I see people have different opinions on this. My plan is to get a very specific website design agreed upon, which I will quote. Any additional work requested that is outside the scope of the agreement will be billed by an hourly rate. This is mentioned in the contract. I think that'd work to prevent scope creep?

2) Would it be possible to post the contract I have for feedback? It is 6 pages in word, I found it online, and made a few modifications.

3) My flat hourly rate is going to be 50 US Dollars, I believe that is a fair rate for someone just "starting" out, correct?

4) Could I even post my website for feedback?

5) Any recommendations on good places to find work? I design in wordpress, not very good with graphics, but can also design in PHP, Html, and CSS (if someone wishes to have a simple website, with little bells and whistles).

Much thanks.

07-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

1) Yes, but that doesn't mean it will keep clients happy. If you're going to quote by the job that is how you need to do it.

2) Go for it, you should be able to attach it to a post. There arent any professional lawyers but a number of people here (myself included) know our way around and could provide informal feedback.

3) It all depends on the quality of the work. $50/hr may be a little steep for online work but for face to face work that should be fine. Don't advertise that though since you quote.

4) Go for it, it wont be moderated unless you are blatantly advertising.

5) This forum is a good place, you just have to wait a few days. I get most of my general PHP leads from ads I post on this forum, I also have a niche market I get from webhostingtalk. Overall the online market is crap, get used to losing clients who think some Indian outsourcer can do as good work for 1/10 of your price. Don't waste your time with elance (or any other bidding site), digitalpoint or sitepoint, good work stopped going though them years ago.

Also make a distinction between designing and coding. It is impossible to design in PHP and it makes your statement that you design in Wordpress ambiguous.

Thanked by:
YogiKB (07-26-2011)
07-26-2011, 09:17 PM
YogiKB is offline YogiKB
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yikes, thanks! By design, I guess I was referring to the layout of a website. Where the menus are, etc. It would be better to say create instead of design? And creating using PHP or wordpress, would be best described as coding, not designing?

Will need to change some language on the website and contract now.

And wow, I thought $50/hour would have been low. I'm learning, thanks! Lots of good info in the post.

07-26-2011, 11:18 PM
YogiKB is offline YogiKB
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Hmm.. I don't seem to see an option for attaching the contract to a post, or am I supposed to upload it myself, then provide a link to the upload?

Here is my website: BhaktiCreations.com.

I'm on the fence as to whether it is too colorful and not professional enough. I imagine a better sample page would be good to have as well. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
YogiKB is offline YogiKB
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Here is the contract.

I think it is all pretty straight forward. I do have that I will quote a price in the contract, but will bill for hours spent working on design / features that were not in the agreed upon project.

The only part that really confuses me is section 28. It seems to say I'm not responsible for anything, even if intentional. It was in the original version of the contract and I don't know if it is needed or should be removed.

Anyway, feel free to take it for yourself, but any advice tips, changes would be helpful!

07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

My thoughts on the contract (by section):
8. Deadlines are dynamic, don't set three months in stone since it may be longer or considerably shorter. If the client goes non-responsive for a full week on a project that should have only lasted one week that should trigger an end. Otherwise you are bound do that one week project for the next three months even if you sign with someone else later within that period.

8. Include that any additional features and changes completely void the original agreed deadline

28. I'd never sign that, ever. It means that you can wipe my server and I couldn't sue you. Get errors and omissions insurance and limit liabilities to that policy. I have some doubts that clause as it is would even hold up in court (US court, I don't know UK law).

07-27-2011, 08:20 PM
YogiKB is offline YogiKB
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Thanks a lot!
2) I was going to add it to the contract in section 3. Should work too, right? Will change it to nearest hour.

3) Forgot to mention that, I would be changing that the deadline based on project. Definitely a good point you made there, too.

28) Yeah, this section did not make any sense to me, so I will just kill it. Wanted someone else's opinion first.

07-29-2011, 05:54 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

Originally Posted by YogiKB View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been doing websites for myself and others (unpaid) and wish to start designing as a profession. Had some questions.

1) Quotes. I plan to quote, I see people have different opinions on this. My plan is to get a very specific website design agreed upon, which I will quote. Any additional work requested that is outside the scope of the agreement will be billed by an hourly rate. This is mentioned in the contract. I think that'd work to prevent scope creep?

2) Would it be possible to post the contract I have for feedback? It is 6 pages in word, I found it online, and made a few modifications.

3) My flat hourly rate is going to be 50 US Dollars, I believe that is a fair rate for someone just "starting" out, correct?

4) Could I even post my website for feedback?

5) Any recommendations on good places to find work? I design in wordpress, not very good with graphics, but can also design in PHP, Html, and CSS (if someone wishes to have a simple website, with little bells and whistles).

Much thanks.
Actually, I'm curious about the reasoning behind charging just $50/hour. There are plenty of folks out there who will pay $400 to $500 for a simple WordPress site - that would take maybe 2 to 3 hours to set up (from beginning to end). Throw in an hour for training and they'll be eternally grateful.

07-29-2011, 06:05 PM
YogiKB is offline YogiKB
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
Actually, I'm curious about the reasoning behind charging just $50/hour. There are plenty of folks out there who will pay $400 to $500 for a simple WordPress site - that would take maybe 2 to 3 hours to set up (from beginning to end). Throw in an hour for training and they'll be eternally grateful.
Seriously?

Where does one find people like that?

But the reasoning is, I really am not sure what to charge, I heard $100 is what the experienced professionals charge, so figured starting out at $50 could be fair. I also am not skilled with designing graphics, and was thinking the top paid people had skills in that area.

If I am wrong, I'd be eternally grateful to be corrected.

07-29-2011, 06:13 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

Originally Posted by YogiKB View Post
Seriously?

Where does one find people like that?

But the reasoning is, I really am not sure what to charge, I heard $100 is what the experienced professionals charge, so figured starting out at $50 could be fair. I also am not skilled with designing graphics, and was thinking the top paid people had skills in that area.

If I am wrong, I'd be eternally grateful to be corrected.
You can find them by locating new businesses that don't have websites yet. We use the Business Journals for leads - $90 for 5 weeks of leads, about 30% of which have phone numbers. Many of these are small Mom and Pops that know very little about web design or hosting - what they are good at is their specific niche.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >