Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1669 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

LiquidSmoke.net New Portfolio - Coded

Thread title: LiquidSmoke.net New Portfolio - Coded
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
04-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Shawon is offline Shawon
Expertise:
Software:

Shawon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Shawon Send a message via MSN to Shawon

Old  LiquidSmoke.net New Portfolio - Coded

http://www.liquidsmoke.net/new/

Just finished coding my new portfolio design, which I posted like a few weeks back. I decided to go with the wood bg for now, but maybe later on I'll have a chooser thing where you can pick diff bg's or something.

Anyway lemme know how it looks. Coded in XHTML & CSS. I've tried it out in FF2 and IE7 and it looks fine to me, and I know in Opera the nav alignment is messed up, I'll fix that later. Lemme know if you find any problems. And lemme know how it looks.

Again, keep in mind this is just the basic coding part, so nothing is functional yet, just that main page is there for now.

04-28-2007, 06:29 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

I like it, but hmm.. put an extra 10px spacing between each work piece. Might look better i'm not sure, just seems a little too close together.

04-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Cole is offline Cole
Software:

Cole is on a distinguished road

Old

Really nice looking. Great job on it.

However, you can get those same rollovers with some images and css, flash sort of saturates the elegant and simple design.

04-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Shawon is offline Shawon
Expertise:
Software:

Old

thanks, and yeah i know i just wanted it to be like text and i know u can do that with css but i didnt wanna go through all that. but whats wrong with the current? its not animated or anything so whats the diff between it and if i used images.

04-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Cole is offline Cole
Software:

Cole is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
thanks, and yeah i know i just wanted it to be like text and i know u can do that with css but i didnt wanna go through all that. but whats wrong with the current? its not animated or anything so whats the diff between it and if i used images.
Flash has to be installed, and if a client comes onto your portfolio website and does not have flash, a major part of your site navigation will be unaccessible.

04-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Shawon is offline Shawon
Expertise:
Software:

Old

true, but with that it's set up so that if theres no flash then it just shows as regular text

04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Then why not just use the regular text?

Also, 98% of people have flash installed..

Edit: I found a bug in your flash.. press and hold one of the buttons, then drag it out of the button. You can do all at once (drag mouse over all of them), and they will stay green.

Edit again: The coding is what most would call div soup. You are even using divs that serve absolutely no purpose. The div for the navigation could be gone, and replaced with an id inside the ul tag, the preview could just be an "a" with a class of preview, instead of wrapping it with a div, etc..

04-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Shawon is offline Shawon
Expertise:
Software:

Old

1. Because regular text wouldn't be in that font. And yeah almost everyone has Flash so I wasn't too worried about people not being able to see it, unless they were on like a PDA or something, where it should still work though.

2. Didn't notice that rollover thing, nobody is gonna try that anyway lol. And I didn't use Flash to make that, I used sIFR which is that thing from Shaun Inman where you can have any fonts are regular text and it uses Flash to replace it or something like that. So that's why it's Flash, or else I would've done images. I just wanted it to be text and not have to go through all that CSS rollover.

3. Yeah I guess you're right about the divs, I'll fix that. I'm not that experienced in coding so I didn't think of it that way.

Thanks for the comments, post more suggestions of anyone has any, and I'm gonna try and finish off the site over the next week or so.

04-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old

It seems to be that you're cutting some corners.

You assume that no one is going to drag over your navigation links - how do you think Andrew found out your problem? Yes, thats right, he dragged his mouse over the links. Just because you assume that no one will do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't fix it.

Also, using a transparent PNG for your logo and footer isn't a very good idea; IE6 and transparent PNG's don't go well together. Have a look here: http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/456/ie6fi2.jpg

Another problem in IE6, is the spacing between the image and the bar with the description; there is a 2px gap between them.

One last thing. The spacing between each link in the navigation doesn't seem to be equal

EDIT: Another thing. In IE6, the distance between the top of the page, and the navigation is much greater than in FF.

04-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Shawon is offline Shawon
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Well the rollover drag thing is just a small glitch with the sIFR and it's not that big of a deal and it's not messing up the site or anything, plus, it's part of the sIFR so I dunno how to fix it anyway.

And I fixed the PNG problem.

And yeah I noticed the small gap and it should be fixed.

And yeah I dunno what's wrong with the nav, it's like part of the Flash text that the sIFR generates, so I dunno. If the nav becomes too much of a problem I'll just make it images.

And I have IE7 and it was fine there, so I didn't notice all those little stuff in IE6.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >