Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 796 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Post Prices on Your Site?

Thread title: Post Prices on Your Site?
11-26-2010, 05:33 AM
sjaguar13 is offline sjaguar13
Software:

sjaguar13 is on a distinguished road

Old  Post Prices on Your Site?

If you do freelance web design and development, would you post prices or packages on your site, or would you just let people contact you and base the price off of what they are looking for? I am looking to do more complicated sites that start around $5,000, but I don't want to list "prices starting at $5,000" if someone just wants help with a WordPress blog. I would take that kind of work now, but I am really looking to get out of the smaller jobs. However, leaving off the price entirely might scare some people away thinking that site might be $20,000 or more.

11-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

If you price by the project it should be based off of some hourly amount, post that amount on your site. I'm moving off of quotes entirely right now because I've found they are a bad idea, they only create frustrations when you have to say no to even the smallest changed mid project. Most serious clients wont have a problem with that at all.

As for fixed pricing, I've been freelancing for years and have never once been able to use a fixed pricing scheme. All projects, even those similar, are unique and need to be priced accordingly. Keep in mind that I only program so I have no experience in design quotes.

Giving your rate helps set your audience. For my first few projects I charged some $20 an hour and the majority of my leads were crap from clients from hell. When my price went up to $50 an hour I only get those on rare occasion. If I didn't disclose my price I'm sure the flow would be unchanged.

11-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

As VG notes, posting prices can be a strategy to tell visitors about the kind of clients you want. It works especially well if you don't have a closely targeted market, because it will only cut out people looking for services that cost less than X.

But another factor, I believe, is the level of sophistication your target markets have about the services you offer. In general, the less knowledgeable segments will need more education about why the bottom line is what it is whether you charge $20/hour or $200. Giving prices that are in some way tied to work product--including a line like "no two projects are alike--contact me for an individualized estimate"--can help you prepare your new clients for the discussion about cost and value.

12-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Eddie is offline Eddie
Expertise: writing
Software: notepad

Eddie is on a distinguished road

Old

I can understand why you want to move away from the smaller jobs, but, aren't they your bread and butter jobs - simple quick and easy?

Anyway, back to the pricing. Personally I think posting a costing on your site could lose you money. In my experience there are so many variables to any job that the danger could be that you undercut yourself.

12-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

If you don't say anything, it seems you're avoiding the issue. If you say too much, then people get scared off. Maybe just state something about how you do your pricing, since each job is unique.

12-03-2010, 12:51 PM
razielx is offline razielx
Software:

razielx is on a distinguished road

Old

I discuss the prices face to face with the client when I found out exactly what he want

12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

I've always found that it's best to price my time by the hour. Saying that, we have one firm in town that won't take a project under $10,000 and they're always busy.

12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Morning is offline Morning
Expertise: web design, writing, proofread
Software: HomeSite, Paint Shop Pro

Morning is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

We do our pricing by the hour also, and have it listed on our site. We also made a note that some jobs take longer than others, if they are complicated, and therefore would cost the customer a higher price.