Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1142 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

A few things that I feel need to be addressed

Thread title: A few things that I feel need to be addressed
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old  A few things that I feel need to be addressed

I'm not bringing anything new to the table, but these are problems still persisting and every regular on here will know exactly what I am talking about. I feel these issues really need to be addressed swiftly, as they are degrading this forum further.

1) Random bumping of old topics

I'm talking about posts like this, to name a few (this happens oh too frequently):

http://www.talkfreelance.com/showpos...0&postcount=26
http://www.talkfreelance.com/showpos...4&postcount=26
http://www.talkfreelance.com/showpos...9&postcount=25

These people are clearly trying to get quick posts, so they can get into the marketplace. Two suggestions on this from me:

- Make threads that have remained dormant for a certain amount of time (1 week?) locked, so they cannot be replied in. I'm sure this is possible with vB, or there is some sort of mod.

- As well as the required post count, put a time limit on how long you have been a member before gaining access in the marketplace. I've seen this before (I think Digital Point may do this) - and I bet it would work well. Say, they have to be a member for 25 days, as well as a post count.

2) "Can't Post" threads.
Threads like this: http://www.talkfreelance.com/showthread.php?t=52482

Some people seem to have a deficiency with reading rules. We should force up a more prominent rules/FAQ page on registration that ensures people read these sort of questions, and get them to confirm they have read them. Perhaps 1 days suspensions should be handed out, upon confirmation of reading the rules/FAQs and then going against that confirmation. Perhaps harsh, but we could do without the threads these people keep creating.

3) Phone Spam
I'm talking about these kind of threads: http://www.talkfreelance.com/showthread.php?p=440010

They're cropping up a few a day now, and I feel in some cases they take too long to get removed, by which time, another few have been made. I assume you are banning these members. Can you clarify they are being IP banned, and their emails being blocked? Perhaps we can integrate a more advanced spam system?

I'm looking forward to hearing your contributions/thoughts. But please, let's not go into a rant for once. Keep it positive, and no "if they ever do it" kind of comments. I am also willing to make a small monetary contribution to the implementation of some of this IF I see it get done.

Seb

04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Liam is offline Liam
Expertise:
Software:

Liam is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Liam

Old

I agree, especially about the phone spam. I'm seeing quite a lot of it and I've noticed it usually stays for most of the day, sometimes the full day, which to be frank, is not right.

04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
mikeroq is offline mikeroq
Expertise: xHTML/CSS/PHP/Computer Tech
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++, Winamp

mikeroq is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to mikeroq Send a message via MSN to mikeroq Send a message via Yahoo to mikeroq

Old

Make threads that have remained dormant for a certain amount of time (1 week?) locked, so they cannot be replied in. I'm sure this is possible with vB, or there is some sort of mod.
I don't agree with that, maybe someone asked a question or needed help, and no one replied, then the person with the answer comes along, but can't post. That wouldn't help the community. I don't see anything wrong with replying to an old topic to answer it, or voice your opinion, but doing it just to get in the marketplace is wrong.

Instead of just requiring a post count to post a thread in the marketplace, why not make them wait a month, or have to be approved by the staff.

Mike

04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by FourSeventy View Post
I don't agree with that, maybe someone asked a question or needed help, and no one replied, then the person with the answer comes along, but can't post. That wouldn't help the community. I don't see anything wrong with replying to an old topic to answer it, or voice your opinion, but doing it just to get in the marketplace is wrong.

Instead of just requiring a post count to post a thread in the marketplace, why not make them wait a month, or have to be approved by the staff.

Mike
Then the person can PM the person that asked a question in that case. I think that the benefits far outweigh the point you have brought up on that. If someone wants to bring up a new point, they can start a new topic.

And if they just have to wait a month, that means they have gained access to the marketplace, without giving anything to the community. It should be both, in my opinion.

04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I'm all for improvements, but not anything which adds a regular workload onto the moderators. They can't keep on top of current daily chores so lumping more stuff for them to do isn't going to help. One-off things, or things that can be assigned to one person (ie things that don't need to be acted on every minute of every day) are cool though.

If you need more moderators, I'm fairly sure some regulars might be up to lending a helping hand. If you feel you need it.

04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
I'm all for improvements, but not anything which adds a regular workload onto the moderators. They can't keep on top of current daily chores so lumping more stuff for them to do isn't going to help. One-off things, or things that can be assigned to one person (ie things that don't need to be acted on every minute of every day) are cool though.

If you need more moderators, I'm fairly sure some regulars might be up to lending a helping hand. If you feel you need it.
I don't think I suggested anything on top of what the mods should be doing. Everything else is one-off. I volunteer myself up, I visit this forum 3-4 times a day, if not more.

04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
mikeroq is offline mikeroq
Expertise: xHTML/CSS/PHP/Computer Tech
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++, Winamp

mikeroq is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to mikeroq Send a message via MSN to mikeroq Send a message via Yahoo to mikeroq

Old

Then the person can PM the person that asked a question in that case.
Which removes the whole point of a forum. What good is it for someone to search for that topic on the forum, just to find it closed. People also subscribe to threads, so even if they don't get a reply right away, someone could come along and give them the answer they need. Then someone else comes along with the same question, searches for it, finds it, and their problem is resolved.

Mike

04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

After a week, or even more time, a "question" thread will either have been answered, the person will either have found out by then from another source, no one knows the answer, or the person will have forgotten the question. I find the likelihood that someone is still searching the answer for something a week later, slim.

Personally, I would rather my question get unanswered, and try on another forum, than have a bunch of idiots bump up old posts. That's just me.

04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

I daily move about 5+ topics that are the phone spam ones, and various other ones. Unfortunately I'm not a moderator in the Suggestions + Feedback area so I cannot remove those.

However, I do feel there needs to be a better moderating system inserted.

04-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >