Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1920 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

How do you deal with clients with bad taste?

Thread title: How do you deal with clients with bad taste?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
cssbros is offline cssbros
Expertise: Web Developer
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver

cssbros is on a distinguished road

Old

Make clients happy, and service provider will be.

08-02-2012, 12:43 AM
DeanK is offline DeanK
Software: PS, MAMP

DeanK is on a distinguished road

Old

I actually just ran across this. I had a client that I though I designed something brilliant for. Instead he wanted a super drab thing. The guy is an animator for god's sake and yet he has no artistic vision... LOL. Anyway, just do that they say and try to make it yours as much as possible. Not everything is going to be portfolio worthy anyway

11-28-2012, 05:24 PM
lanotdesign is offline lanotdesign
Expertise: Webdesign
Software: Photoshop cs4

lanotdesign is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to lanotdesign Send a message via Skype™ to lanotdesign

Old

Client hired you for your expertise. Since you are the expert in designing, it's better to tell the client his idea won't work, give reasons and suggest. If client still wants his idea, then do it. That's all you could do. Since they paid you for your service.

12-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Qartin is offline Qartin
Expertise: Graphic & Web Design
Software: Photoshop, Lightroom, Coda

Qartin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Qartin

Old

i got hired by a temp tattoo artists to design this dreadful website he just kept changing his mind on everything and his ideas were really childish he wanted a rainbow website different fonts everywhere just an insane jumble mess which I was trying to get him away from because he was having several problems with his current website which was over 12 years old he liked older styled graphics really crappy and low quality he was really insane

12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
newkid is offline newkid
Software: Photoshop, Sublime Text2,MS VS

newkid is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to newkid

Old

There is no such thing as having bad test. Everyone has their own tastes. You are being paid to provide a service and so as much aesthetics are concerned you really have no real control or input about it. Clients are always right. All you can do is inform the client why such and such design choices are wrong. If the client still refuses to change his /her mind just do has told. Sometimes you both can make an agreement on something that works for the both of you.

In the end what is more important to you? Making money and being a professional that can follow instructions yet still provide satisfaction to more and more clients or a professional that argues with each and every client on design choices that are not aesthetically pleasing to you personally?

02-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Clevertail is offline Clevertail
Expertise: Graphic Design, Web Design
Software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Sublim

Clevertail is on a distinguished road

Old

That's terrible advice.

There are plenty of ways to respectfully offer alternatives to a clients "professional design idea".

Those of you that think a client is always right and shouldn't be corrected are lacking professionalism. Any professional in any professional environment, should and must educate clients on their expertise.

If a client has a bad taste for color, design, and layout, then offer them and educated or professional suggestion. Lets say you know nothing about building rockets, would you take advice from someone that has done it before, or perhaps builds them for a living? Understand that your client has hired you to provide a professional service. If you are not willing to educate and respectfully disagree with some aspects of their lack in design skills then you should't be designing.

Only after trying to educate and offer experience related alternatives should you lay down and do it exactly as your client wants it. This may sound terrible, but how many of your clients that want graphic or web design are professional designers or developers? None of mine are.

04-02-2013, 10:08 AM
idecbristol is offline idecbristol
Expertise: Decorating
Software: Photoshop

idecbristol is on a distinguished road

Old

Do as they client ask's and just don't showcase it yourself. I'm a decorator by trade, if the client ask's me to paint a wall in a revolting colour, i do.... and i smile

04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Alison111 is offline Alison111
Software:

Alison111 is on a distinguished road

Old

I try to be as polite as it's possible and in the mildest way explain why some idea is not so good as it seems to them.

04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
depends on what their bad taste is about.

if they have a flat-up tacky idea, i'll probably just turn the project down. i know i won't want to do it, i'll push off working on it whenever i have something else to do, and eventually i'll fall behind and drop it anyways, might as well keep a good rep.

if they want some tacky/dated art direction that i personally disagree with, i'll do what i can to talk them out of it. if it'll look dated, i'll explain why, if i just don't like the style i'll explain why - usually it'll be because i get a disconnect from the stylistic attributes and the brand's actual message. in this case, i'm with village genius: do it, compromise on the design enough to get the job done, then file it under "paid the bills".
as an art director who deals with a ridiculously fickle client with awful, awful taste, on a daily basis - pretty much a month after i first posted this - i can't stand by this advice enough. i'm even going to extend it with my response when a developer asked me why i so easily let the client make the design even worse after a meeting:

unless you're going to use this project specifically to get a job, it isn't worth the headaches.

it's tough if you're trying to assemble a portfolio for the first time, but you really only need 2-3 good work examples to impress someone, so unless it's a dream project the CEO is just flushing down the toilet, try once and if it doesn't work, kill-it, bill-it, go by something with your check that makes you happy and forget about how stupid your client is.

05-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Mortan is offline Mortan
Software:

Mortan is on a distinguished road

Old

You should follow what Clients ask you to design... Even if client's taste is bad, how does that matter to you, till the time you are getting paid...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >