Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1351 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

Link Building and PR Strategy

Thread title: Link Building and PR Strategy
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
08-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old  Link Building and PR Strategy

I will outline a basic link building and PageRank strategy here. A lot of you are asking for more information on SEO (search engine optimizing), well this is one method of increasing your page rank and SERP (Search engine ranking performance).

A few notes before you begin your link building strategy:

• Don't post your links in link farms.
  • Try to get one way inbound links, they rate higher than reciprocal links.
  • Try to get links in PR4+ sites, lower than this can actually negatively affect your PR.
  • Only trade links to sites that are relevant to yours.
  • Be careful. Start off slowly for the first 6 months. There is a unproven myth in the SEO world that google throws new sites into the "google sandbox effect" for several months if they build links too fast. The "sandbox effect" effectively makes your site invisible in google. There is no documentation of what is "too fast", so please just be aware of the "sandbox effect".

Ok, now you know what not to do, here is what you should do:
  1. Try to get at least 2 links per day, any less than this will probably not boost your PR significantly.
  2. Get a link in DMOZ or the ODP (open directory project) This can be a huge challenge in patience as it can take many, many months to achieve. It is worth it though, this is a PR9 site and the preferred directory of the main search engines online.
  3. Use tools such as this to size up your competitors. This tool can analyze who is linking to your competitors. There is a simpler method, simply type link: www.competitorslink.com into googles search box.
  4. Write articles and submit them to good article sites. This can boost PR tremendously if you have your link placed appropriately throughout your copy.
  5. Become a member of well populated forums and use a signature displaying your site link. Make sure you are an active member or you will not add links at all.
  6. Become an informed authority on what you do. People will like what they hear and will naturally link to your site.
  7. Offer free advice, articles, e-books and tutorials and newsletters from your site. Make sure each of these has your link on them and that the users can freely distribute them. This creates viral link building of one way inbound.
I have a method I have been using for a while to find sites that may link to me and it is fairly effective. All you need is google and lot's of spare time.

Simply type your keyword, or keyword phrase and either one of the following into the google search box:

• Add link
  • Add site
  • Add URL
  • Submit link
  • Submit site
  • Submit URL
Example, if you were selling gold plated toilets you would type:
"gold plated toilets" add link

If you only want to submit to pages with free non reciprocal links then try:
"gold plated toilets" add free link

You can leave out the quotes if you are running searches for single keywords and not phrases. From the list you will get sites which may or may not accept my link to add to their directories.

Some of these sites require you to provide a description of your site, this can be from around 10 words/100 characters right up to an unlimited description. Remember to vary your desriptions every now and then. Also try not to use "sales talk" in your site description. Sales talk is using words or phrases like "best, amazing, incredible, once in a lifetime...etc" . Try to get as many important keywords into your description as possible. An example of a well researched site description for http://www.circle.co.nz/ :
"Think outside the square - Affordable website design, graphic design, logos, business identities, photo retouching, web development and services with a difference and a NZ designers touch."

Here's just a few sites you should submit your links to:
Approx 30 sites: http://www.announce.com/
Msn: http://beta.search.msn.co.uk/docs/submit.aspx?gcs=1
Google: http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
Submit Express: http://www.submitexpress.com/ Be careful here, there can be a lot of spam from some of these sites.

So what are you waiting for? Get out there and get those links rolling in!!!

Authors notes:

Julian Jackson is the managing director of NZ Graphic Design (A Kiwi design portal) and Circle Design. Julian is a firm believer in usability, web standards and simplicity in design. These beliefs are reflected in his articles and designing. He is a regular contributor to several expert design forums.

08-24-2005, 05:49 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Comments anyone?

Could this help you?

Do you do anything differently?

Do you have anything to add?

08-24-2005, 05:52 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

It's a great article Julian and explains the basics of link building, sorry I didn't reply sooner....had a very busy day! I'm going to be writing one of my first full length articles today.

08-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Not a problem Robson, I was wondering if any of the 30 viewers of the article had any comments, since this is a discussion forum

I like to provoke thought in others because it helps me grow as a designer

08-24-2005, 07:50 AM
echoepidemic is offline echoepidemic
Expertise:
Software:

echoepidemic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to echoepidemic Send a message via MSN to echoepidemic

Old

Pretty helpful. I've never really been into creating websites .. just designing them. But I think I'm slowly going to become a webmaster type guy.

Edit: thanks for writing this

08-25-2005, 05:30 AM
SamOwen is offline SamOwen
Software:

SamOwen is on a distinguished road

Old

Don't post your links in link farms.
Why isn't this effective?

08-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Why isn't this effective?
Because you will get your site blacklisted from google and other search engines if you do, it's frowned upon!

08-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Software:

Old

Thanks. Does this apply to "Top Sites" sites as well?

08-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

You would have to show me the exact site

08-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Software:

Old

So some "top sites" sites (boy that's awkward) are OK, while others are not? I wouldn't know which one to give as an example, there are so many.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >