Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1112 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

what to get laptop or pc

Thread title: what to get laptop or pc
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
spoduk is offline spoduk
Expertise:
Software:

spoduk is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to spoduk Send a message via MSN to spoduk

Old  what to get laptop or pc

ive now got the funds to buy a new laptop or get a pc . but im stuck on what to get .

im hoping to buy an dell xps model of ither

i want it to be able to play wow and other high profile games and not be slow at any time but my buget is £800 $1600

aslo confusing me do i get one with duel core 2 or quad

06-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Cory is offline Cory
Expertise: Fedex Marketing Director.
Software: Firefox.

Cory is on a distinguished road

Old

with 1600 bucks I would build a pc. You get exactly what you want and get the power your needing to play those games. But if you rather buy an xps then go for the XPS 630. I built one for you and this includes a 20inch monitor and its right under the 1600 budget

That would do whatever you need it to do and more. Unless your wanting to play FSX and Crysis At full rating then I would highly suggest going for custom and it may cost more than $1600.

06-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

I bought a HP one for £500 and it played WoW (when i did used to play) at around 60FPS which is ideal. It's a Pavillion DVxxxx or something. Great system.

06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

If u want to play games such as WoW, CS: S, 1.6, CZ w/e. Then u shud go for a desktop. Even a gd laptop may struggle to run CS: S or more modern games. Don't chance it and get a desktop. You can get a good dell one for your budget or go custom build.

06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
kimsonsolutions is offline kimsonsolutions
Software:

kimsonsolutions is on a distinguished road

Old

buy a macbook pro it's a very well designed , practical and powerfull computer that allows you to run BOTH macosx (in my opinion way better than windows) linux and windows

06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by kimsonsolutions View Post
buy a macbook pro it's a very well designed , practical and powerfull computer that allows you to run BOTH macosx (in my opinion way better than windows) linux and windows
Agreed, but if he's a heavy gamer then there's not need having it tbh. get a custom build or dekstop mate, don't even bother with a laptop if your gaming. Unless you travel A LOT. Also go for quad core over dual core. Does depends on specs but generally quad > dual.

06-04-2008, 03:50 PM
BetaOrange is offline BetaOrange
Expertise: Design / Coding
Software: Photoshop, iTunes, Firefox

BetaOrange is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Agreed, but if he's a heavy gamer then there's not need having it tbh. get a custom build or dekstop mate, don't even bother with a laptop if your gaming. Unless you travel A LOT. Also go for quad core over dual core. Does depends on specs but generally quad > dual.

CS:S, WoW etc. don't need high specs to play, I'd say they're quite low quality games, in terms of specs.

The whole quad > dual is right and wrong, what's the point in getting a quad if you're not going to use it up to its standards? Most games don't take advantage of quadcore, only a couple such as crysis.

To be honest, I'd still say desktop and custom build, but if you like the relaxation of going anywhere in your house and getting online via wlan, I'd say a high specced laptop, which you can get for around £800($1600).

06-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by BetaOrange View Post
CS:S, WoW etc. don't need high specs to play, I'd say they're quite low quality games, in terms of specs.

The whole quad > dual is right and wrong, what's the point in getting a quad if you're not going to use it up to its standards? Most games don't take advantage of quadcore, only a couple such as crysis.

To be honest, I'd still say desktop and custom build, but if you like the relaxation of going anywhere in your house and getting online via wlan, I'd say a high specced laptop, which you can get for around £800($1600).
CS:S, cpu heavy game. Needs gd CPU + average gfx cards to play on high res/quality (textures etc). Although most games dont use quad core its helpful on other things. I.e can run msn, mirc, FF, WMP, whilst still being able to play a game that might only use 1-2 cores.

06-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Tom View Post
CS:S, cpu heavy game. Needs gd CPU + average gfx cards to play on high res/quality (textures etc). Although most games dont use quad core its helpful on other things. I.e can run msn, mirc, FF, WMP, whilst still being able to play a game that might only use 1-2 cores.
I used to play CS:S on my Toshiba laptop. (2.0 dual core cpu, 256mb graphics card and 1gb of ram) with msn and all those running.

06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
spoduk is offline spoduk
Expertise:
Software:

spoduk is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to spoduk Send a message via MSN to spoduk

Old

ok thx for all the comets i think i will get a deskstop.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >