Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1499 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

OH MY GOD I HATE IE I hate it so much

Thread title: OH MY GOD I HATE IE I hate it so much
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
04-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by spencerp View Post
Usually when I code, I make a whole separate other style sheet just for IE itself. Then if someone is viewing in IE, the normal style sheet... PLUS the IE specific one is called.
This is absolutely unnecessary. I use the same style sheet for all browsers. The png fix is, however, needed to fix pngs.

04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Lol. I guess it's unnecessary. But so is filling the normal style sheet with various of IE hacks. I know though, "if your code is good, then you wouldn't have to worry about "IE hacks". Pfft, you have to worry regardless.

Would be nice if someone from Firefox posed as a Micro**** employee, and slapped Firefox browser in for their "IE replacement" or updates... then everyone would have Firefox when they thought it was IE. - Nah, cause they'd know it wasn't IE, because they wouldn't have any issues coding for it. Haha

04-11-2009, 11:59 PM
007c is offline 007c
Software:

007c is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by rochow View Post
There are lots of times where you need the alpha transparency.

What is a conditional comment if not just another IE hack?
So you telling me you use these png hacks on all your pages? Maybe there's a new magic version out that i don't know of but... What happens to child containers that have links in them? What about padding, what about borders, load time, etc. Seems like allot of work for nothing to me.
There's things like pngquant if you don't have fireworks to handle the prob for rounded corners and such... of course if you have text as images it's no good but then there's these other solutions. Sure not as pretty for ie6 but works with no hacks.
Matte will look good in any browser unless you need to change the color under the image.

I guess i could use one stylesheet if i did like vizon tho by using sonofsuckerfish for drop downs to fix the hover issue.

04-12-2009, 07:21 AM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

I barely code anything for myself. Drop shadow on pattern background = nightmare. Unfortunately lots of clients love them, so I'm often having to PNGfix for compatibility. If it's a static image, the built in filter will do the trick... if it requires repeating or positioning, then the fix is required.

Not sure what you mean with rounded corners.

Matte looks rubbish on a pattern bg. If it's a solid background, it doesn't need alpha transparency anyway, so it would be a gif, png8 or jpg.

display:inline, height:1%, position:relative, wrapping inputs in divs, not being able to double class, no native :hover support, f*** where does the list of IE hacks and handicaps end? (and now we have IE8 to check against also, great). Tons of rubbish is done purely because IE requires it, just because you don't * html or conditional comment it doesn't mean it's not a hack.

Suckerfish, another example of yet another IE hack...

If I ever code a site that just WORKS in IE straight away, I'm honestly surprised... it just doesn't happen. There's always some sort of quirk I have to add in order to make IE behave as it should.

Code:
form.ddfm textarea { float: left; position: relative; width: 65%; margin-bottom: 15px; padding: 3px; }
For example off your site, you don't have overflow:auto so IE will have a stupid scrollbar whereas say FF won't...

I understand the frustrations of beginners, the hardest part they always have is compatibility.

04-14-2009, 03:34 PM
007c is offline 007c
Software:

007c is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by rochow View Post
Code:
form.ddfm textarea { float: left; position: relative; width: 65%; margin-bottom: 15px; padding: 3px; }
Yea that premade php form has to go....there's more to it than just that, but never got to re-coding it since i new i'd remove it anyways hence the css comment about the mess

04-14-2009, 10:57 PM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

Speaking of which I have this site someones coded and I'm fixing for them in IE (and trying to describe why/how I knew to use which hack where so they can learn)... there's 3 parts to coding: HTML, CSS, IE

04-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by spencerp View Post
Lol. I guess it's unnecessary. But so is filling the normal style sheet with various of IE hacks. I know though, "if your code is good, then you wouldn't have to worry about "IE hacks". Pfft, you have to worry regardless.

Would be nice if someone from Firefox posed as a Micro**** employee, and slapped Firefox browser in for their "IE replacement" or updates... then everyone would have Firefox when they thought it was IE. - Nah, cause they'd know it wasn't IE, because they wouldn't have any issues coding for it. Haha
You will not find a single IE hack in my coding.

04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Um, okay? I guess this is where you take a bow and I clap and throw flowers? What made ya reply with that, so late? Haha.

04-15-2009, 01:35 AM
46Bit is offline 46Bit
Expertise: Web Development
Software:

46Bit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to 46Bit Send a message via Skype™ to 46Bit

Old

It's quite possible to not need to use hacks for IE, you just need to be good enough at coding to work around it's flaws.

04-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yeah I know, hence saying "I know though, "if your code is good, then you wouldn't have to worry about "IE hacks"." I was being sarcastic above regarding the IE stuff though.

Just through the years, I really only dealt with the hacks, and nothing else. I only knew certain things and didn't bother exceeding in full blown css / xhtml coding and etc. I can admit though, that I need to learn it more, as well as other coding languages.

Anyway, to me, IE still sucks though. Well, at least to Firefox so... *shrug*

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >