Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1347 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Inspiration or Stealing?

Thread title: Inspiration or Stealing?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
06-18-2007, 02:08 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Baby Boy View Post
Derek, even though I was the one who asked the question... in my opinion I don't believe its ripping off the design. If I designed the layout from scratch but created a different "feel" for it, I don't believe it could be considered ripping the template off.
it depends on the similarities. things can have the same feel and look totally different. if you look at something and it gives you a new idea, it's all gravy. in terms of a web site, there's a predefined set of expectations/standards so there's a much bigger grey area, but don't just go "i want my own one of those".

06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by James_Black View Post
I've been told once that ripping or stealing ideas from graphic design or web design is a great way to learn tricks and techniques. But thats idea's, not "tracing out" the design of course. If your new to web design, i think its a great way to boost your quality of layout or design. If your building these templates and selling them, i'd have to say bad plan.. but if lets say your working with a client that really wants their site to resemble one they like, I think thats ok to a point.
that's a method to learning the tools. it's never supposed to be seen in public.

06-18-2007, 05:58 PM
IDEASGirl is offline IDEASGirl
Expertise:
Software:

IDEASGirl is on a distinguished road

Old

I sit down, draw concepts on a sheet of paper and I am never satisfied with none of them, and I even have a hard time designing a website whenever I try and look at one for inspiration so I just copy a template (not to sell but to get my mind into a creative mode.)
Maybe that's the problem. See.... maybe you go and draw something and discharge it right away... you should go ahead and start the design. As you go along trying effects, colors and moving things around on the design, it will come up all together at one point.

Try to start with a basic idea of what you want to accomplish. Is it going to be a hosting design, a blog, a shopping cart, a clan? Then set the colors you will like to have, or at least the environment (dark, clear, metalic, sexy, etc.). A place I go to combine colors is Color Combos Tester.

As others mentioned, try to browse some sites of the kind you are willing to design... maybe for a part of your design that you aren't sure what to put or it's just empty.

Also, very important... don't design only for YOU!!! don't only take in consideration colors you like, or "man" style. Think that women BUY in this industry as well. So pinky and flowery designs will sell as well as dirty and metallic designs.

The thing to start the design, and the creativity will come through the process.

Have fun!

06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

Originally Posted by IDEASGirl View Post
Maybe that's the problem. See.... maybe you go and draw something and discharge it right away... you should go ahead and start the design. As you go along trying effects, colors and moving things around on the design, it will come up all together at one point.

Try to start with a basic idea of what you want to accomplish. Is it going to be a hosting design, a blog, a shopping cart, a clan? Then set the colors you will like to have, or at least the environment (dark, clear, metalic, sexy, etc.). A place I go to combine colors is Color Combos Tester.

As others mentioned, try to browse some sites of the kind you are willing to design... maybe for a part of your design that you aren't sure what to put or it's just empty.

Also, very important... don't design only for YOU!!! don't only take in consideration colors you like, or "man" style. Think that women BUY in this industry as well. So pinky and flowery designs will sell as well as dirty and metallic designs.

The thing to start the design, and the creativity will come through the process.

Have fun!
Thank you for your advice!

06-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by IDEASGirl View Post
.... am i the only one that designs for something instead of making something just to sell it? design isn't a product.

06-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Baby Boy is offline Baby Boy
Software:

Baby Boy is on a distinguished road

Old

My motive to designing a website is that I design as a freelance job and am looking to design so when I start my own business (since I am an entrepreneur) --- I can save funds trying to hire a web designer. Also, so that I can show off my skills and design for businesses around here and make some good profit. Its a idea that floated my mind way before it was even recommended in a seperate topic on this forum (or on another forum) --- but with my lack of designing skills... I have been intimidated not to. Plus I have a somewhat competition company called "Inclind Inc." --- www.inclind.com --- check the site out, is it possible I could outdue them if I wanted to?

06-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

i'm not sure what your abilities are, but one person can't handle projects that size - especially someone new to the business. there are people capable of doing everything, but they can't do it fast enough. when people drop big $$ on projects like that, they're buying good work with a good turnaround. no one person can architect, design, develop and test as fast as 2 or 3 specalists can.

if you want to develop skill, practice. practice like crazy. but one thing i've learned is you'll develop a stronger skillset much faster if you actually design within restrictions instead of just following whatever's popular with "company name here". design is about communication. good design isn't just looking pretty, it's being effective (IE clearly communicates design subject message to user/viewer), while not looking ugly - and when you can, throwing in cool technology/styles.

givign my school assignments context is what enabled me to come out of school with a strong portfolio and begin my career before i even got my diploma.

when my profs said "your assignment is to make design a code a web site' i sat down and defined who i'd be making it for, what i'd be making and i'd define attributes about the company and what my solutions would offer them: i modernized the london humane society's logo to appeal to a younger audience so kids will be attracted and persuede their parents for pets instead of video games... i did x, y and z in the site design to continue this theme, while i also did a,b, and c to satisfy the parents once their kids dragged them there looking for pets.

my stuff looks a lot stronger when people read that vs what everyone else in my class did: 'i made a blog design for my web class'.

who sounds like they know what they're talking about?

06-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Baby Boy is offline Baby Boy
Software:

Baby Boy is on a distinguished road

Old

^^ Very well put... thanks for your comments as it'll further me in the long run.

06-19-2007, 03:45 AM
IDEASGirl is offline IDEASGirl
Expertise:
Software:

IDEASGirl is on a distinguished road

Old

.... am i the only one that designs for something instead of making something just to sell it? design isn't a product.
No, actually I design 95% of the time for especific customers. But even I have done designs that I don't love but have been what customers have asked.

My comment was because, now I want to develop (and I am developing) templates and that's what I've thought when making them.

06-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Shanks is offline Shanks
Software:

Shanks is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
if you want to develop skill, practice. practice like crazy.
There is no alternative to practice. However, if you have the skills and simply need to re-fill your creative juices, Freelance Switch lists some useful sources for inspiration, online and off: http://freelanceswitch.com/working/3...nline-and-off/

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >