Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1970 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

So xhtml2 is dead. Now what?

Thread title: So xhtml2 is dead. Now what?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
07-05-2009, 09:53 PM
noxxten is offline noxxten
Software:

noxxten is on a distinguished road

Old  So xhtml2 is dead. Now what?

Should we continue to support the xhtml1 doctype? For what purposes should we use that over html4 strict or the newer html5? I barely caught onto the whole xhtml thing, so i'm not really at a loss. I just don't have any valid reasons to use the xhtml1 doctype really.

07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

use xhtml until html5 become properly adopted.

just because 2 is dead doesn't affect anything already in use/production. they decide not to make a 3rd batman movie, should i not watch batman begins or dark knight for some arbitrary reason?

xhtml is still necessary if you work with any form of xml/xsl. even if you're using xhtml doctypes and serving them as text/html, the rendering is still better than html 4. html4 strict i hear is decent enough, but if you degrade back to html4 transitional you open the gates for a whole new ie6 POS.

07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
RaZoR^ is offline RaZoR^
Software:

RaZoR^ is on a distinguished road

Old

If you want to use XML and HTML, then use XHTML. Because browsers generally have a more lightweight XML rendering engine, I suppose you could claim a tiny advantage in page rendering times too, but this assumes that you server the document as XML, not text/html.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using HTML4 though, providing you keep to best practices (properly nesting of elements, no self-containing attributes etc) to keep things smooth.

HTML5 looks very promising though; the only downside might be compatibility; how well will IE6 handle it?

07-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

there's nothing wrong with html4 - but it just feels like a step backwards.

90% of people who use xhtml are using it out of context (as text/html and not application/xhtml+xml) so it's not like it's any less wrong today than it was last month. most people who use xhtml2 out of context just the same.

07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
noxxten is offline noxxten
Software:

noxxten is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by RaZoR^ View Post
If you want to use XML and HTML, then use XHTML. Because browsers generally have a more lightweight XML rendering engine, I suppose you could claim a tiny advantage in page rendering times too, but this assumes that you server the document as XML, not text/html.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using HTML4 though, providing you keep to best practices (properly nesting of elements, no self-containing attributes etc) to keep things smooth.

HTML5 looks very promising though; the only downside might be compatibility; how well will IE6 handle it?
IE6 is actually disappearing in the market share world . As of now it has under 10% market share. So by the time HTML5 actually becomes a standard I think we'll all be nagging about IE7's inability to function properly lol. I always properly nest tags and follow good practices with any code I write anyway, so all the code is usually the same. Would it be correct to use strong and em instead of b and i with html4 strict? I assume so, but feel that I should double check.

07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
46Bit is offline 46Bit
Expertise: Web Development
Software:

46Bit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to 46Bit Send a message via Skype™ to 46Bit

Old

Originally Posted by noxxten View Post
... So by the time HTML5 actually becomes a standard I think we'll all be nagging about IE7's inability to function properly lol. ...
And IE8's...

07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Would it be correct to use strong and em instead of b and i with html4 strict? I assume so, but feel that I should double check.
You could always check the DTD to be absolutely sure. Both i/b and em/strong are allowed, it's your choice which to use.

Personally, if I can still do <p>blah</p> whatever the document type then that's fine by me. I'm also a big fan of XML well-formed-ness in HTML since I like to work with HTML as a data source and XML makes that more simple (less work translating the markup into a DOM representation, for example).

07-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

IE6 is actually disappearing in the market share world . As of now it has under 10% market share. So by the time HTML5 actually becomes a standard I think we'll all be nagging about IE7's inability to function properly lol. I always properly nest tags and follow good practices with any code I write anyway, so all the code is usually the same. Would it be correct to use strong and em instead of b and i with html4 strict? I assume so, but feel that I should double check.
IE6 is dropping, but it nests in packs. with the project i'm currently working on, IE overall is 88%, and IE6 is like 60% of that 88. it's disgusting.

people update their technology when their needs demand it. no one liked cell phones when the first appeared. they were expensive, they caused tumors. they were unnecessary, you have a phone at home - i saw a 12 year old buy a blackberry curve on saturday.

as long as they can do what they need with Ie6, people won't upgrade, and they'll never not be able to do it with Ie6 until we stop downgrading to make things work in IE6. once HTML5 becomes more streamlined, d we can start taking real advantage of it in smaller scale applications, it should be enough to get the snowball rolling and filter up.

the short coming of xhtml in that regard - from my experiences - is that few people were really utilizing xml to its fullest extent, so the xhtml they were writing was really just beefed up html and didn't progress anything.

07-26-2009, 12:13 AM
JREAM is offline JREAM
Software:

JREAM is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to JREAM Send a message via Yahoo to JREAM

Old

I think its going to be a while before html 5 is ready, or is ie8 the only one using it?

07-26-2009, 04:06 PM
nontemplates is offline nontemplates
Software:

nontemplates is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
I think its going to be a while before html 5 is ready, or is ie8 the only one using it?
It was my understanding that Firefox 3.5 utilizes some of it but haven't confirmed it. US "geeks" get all into this but its usually at least a year before you start seeing real world work affected by it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >