Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1933 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Browsers and Operating Systems :

IE6 - Should I Develop To Be Compatible?

Thread title: IE6 - Should I Develop To Be Compatible?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Awfy is on a distinguished road

Old  IE6 - Should I Develop To Be Compatible?

Basically I had like an hour long discussion with a co-worker about how our site should be coded and designed. The site is a new social network focusing on new advances in coding and design. It's had it's face for about 3 weeks now and the issue has been raised due to the fact we use transparent PNG images for the icons.

My co-worker says that we should simply develop for IE7 this including the other browsers such as Firefox and Safari, simply asking the user to upgrade to IE 7 is they are using below. He uses the example of MySpace and Facebook who he says are both non-compatible with IE6 to an extent. He also says that industry top dogs say that everyone should be building sites to be compatible with newer browsers, not older. Such as Apple Computers now uses semi-transparent PNGs on their site.

Myself think that IE6 is a major part of the web sharing 32.0% of web visits. Therefore this means there are still millions of people using IE6. Where as IE7 is at 21.2%. Therefore we should be developing for IE6 even if it does mean placing background colour to all transparent PNGs. Against his argument about MySpace and Facebook is that they are not the best social networking sites online. They are the most popular no doubt about it Alexa has proved that. However this doesn't mean they have the best features or website development. Places such as Virb are much better looking with 10 times better features. Such as Microsoft being the most popular but we all know definitely not the best.

So whats your thoughts, should we encourage the users to upgrade their browser or spend a couple extra days editing all the images.

Thanks for your opinions

Greg

03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
<!--Ryan--> is offline <!--Ryan-->
Expertise:
Software:

<!--Ryan--> is on a distinguished road

Old

You should develop for IE6 if the userbase is hight. However there is a rumour that IE7 is shipping out as a automatic update at the end of the month and it will not be an automatic install (if it has not been yet).

However IE6 will start to dwindle down pretty fast in the next year. This being IE7 being forced and IE8 is now in public beta.

The rule of thumb is that you stop supporting browsers 2x versions and below. Expect Microsoft to give IE8 a huge push when out of Beta.

So in a nutshell yes you should develop for IE6 as it holds a the market at the moment but expect that to drop this year.

03-20-2008, 12:51 AM
drofenaz is offline drofenaz
Software:

drofenaz is on a distinguished road

Old

I would because many public places such as libraries still use it.

03-20-2008, 02:17 AM
.Nick is offline .Nick
Software:

.Nick is on a distinguished road

Old

I test with IE6 and use a garden-variety javascript to deal with IE6 disliking PNGs.

Develop for your member base. If you know a large number of your visitors use IE6, cater to it.

03-20-2008, 02:29 AM
joshmccord is offline joshmccord
Software:

joshmccord is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to joshmccord

Old

I know of an office that still uses IE5. In my personal opinion, anybody using anything IE6 or lower (or not Firefox) deserves to see non-functional webpages. Unfortunately the designer in me says to make sure to make it compatible for all users who might visit.

03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

People that say "who cares about IE6" might as well go throw away 30% of any revenue they could make.

Yes - because those using IE6 are those who have no clue about other browsers, or really just don't care.

Besides, IE6 is NOT hard - if anybody thinks making a site work in IE6 is hard then they aren't as good at html as they would like to think they are.

You don't need any hacks either btw.

03-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by rochow View Post
People that say "who cares about IE6" might as well go throw away 30% of any revenue they could make.

Yes - because those using IE6 are those who have no clue about other browsers, or really just don't care.

Besides, IE6 is NOT hard - if anybody thinks making a site work in IE6 is hard then they aren't as good at html as they would like to think they are.

You don't need any hacks either btw.
Okay, go make PNG transparency work in IE6 without hacks please.

03-25-2008, 10:31 AM
VimF is offline VimF
Expertise:
Software:

VimF is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Awfy View Post
Okay, go make PNG transparency work in IE6 without hacks please.
I guess you mean PNGs with alpha channel transparency? if not you can still have them work in IE6 without any hack.

03-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Old

I know PNGs work in IE6, but their transparency doesn't.

04-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Dregond Rahl is offline Dregond Rahl
Software:

Dregond Rahl is on a distinguished road

Old

I think for the next year or two IE 6 should also be tested and compatible with any website. PNgs with transparencies is just one thing, what about new aPNG? (animated PNGS like animated GIF's) now that will have no hack...unless you just jump to flash :P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >