Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1695 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Changing career - advice

Thread title: Changing career - advice
05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
hlm890 is offline hlm890
Expertise:
Software:

hlm890 is on a distinguished road

Old  Changing career - advice

Hello all

I hope this is the right area to ask this question - if not, apologies.

I have dabbled in web design for around ten years since I was a teenager (I used to design and run websites for popstars, actors etc - sad I know!) I even got paid once to design a website, but I didn't pursue it as a career choice.

I would like to pursue it further now, my ideal would be to work for an agency for a few years before eventually going freelance. My skills lie in basic web programming (HTML, CSS) and graphic design (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro) however it is all self taught and I have had no formal training. I am looking to do a graphic design/web design course to cement my knowledge but my concern is that once qualified I might not be able to find work as I understand the industry in the UK can be one of those where you need experience to get experience.

What does everyone think, should I go for it or are the chances of me being able to find work as a web designer/graphic designer so slim that it is not worth it?

Thank you in advance
H

05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Toad is offline Toad
Software:

Toad is on a distinguished road

Old

The great thing about Web is there isn't anything stopping you from getting the experience. It isn't like film or photography where you need cameras and equipment before you can build up a portfolio... if you've got a computer and a text editor as basic as notepad you're good to go.
So why not start out freelance?

I'm sure there won't be a shortage of people and companies around Manchester looking for cheap website. Do some free jobs for family and friends to start building up a portfolio for yourself then take out an ad local newsletters or papers - look in local newsletters and papers, find businesses without a web presence or with a terrible site and get in touch with them.
Explain you're offering local businesses a reduced rate, show them your portfolio and hopefully a few will bite...

Hopefully after a few months you'll have a decent portfolio and enough experience to take a solid portfolio to a potential employer - and maybe have also gotten yourself established in your local area as a freelancer as well.

06-01-2010, 09:53 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

If there's a source for new business entities there, that would be a great starting spot - 99% of new businesses won't have websites and 98% of them want sites, or at least understand the importance of needing one.

06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
karmadir is offline karmadir
Expertise: SEO, Link Building, Writing
Software: Firefox

karmadir is on a distinguished road

Old  No need to worry

Good to see you moving into web design area, lot of scope there.

If you want to brush up your skills, then it is wise to go for web design course.

In interview, I advice you to show your experience of website design when you were a teenager.

To make yourself more strong contender in interview, you can launch your own site and show it to them.

Remember one thing, if you have passion and love in what you are doing then nobody can stop you from growing.

Just work on your skills. I am sure you will be successful.

06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Sounds to me like you need to acquire some skill-based credentials and work experience in the field before you start setting up a business.

In the US, more than 3/4 of all small businesses fail within the first 4 years. As it generally takes between 3 and 5 years for a business to actually be on solid footing, this suggests that most businesses crash on the runway.

(This failure rate doesn't include the businesses that don't close but are only moonlighting or part-time work.)

The number may be somewhat different in the UK but probably not by much. Most of these failures are due to lack of solid business preparation, lack of work consistency (working for yourself sounds wonderful but there are a lot of dull things you have to do or pay someone to do for you), poor financing or financial management, insufficient or poorly directed marketing.

In a business like web design, it also becomes very important to stay up to date with current developments. You may do this now because you think it's fun: Once it is a business necessity your attitude may change.

In short, it's a wise move, to think of these things before you startup. Good luck.