Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1285 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Never Gonna Give You Up

Thread title: Never Gonna Give You Up
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 >
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old  Never Gonna Give You Up

Howdy folks,

As many of you will be aware, the site has been temporarily closed "until Big Zee notices". The downtime has lasted for approximately 11 hours, less than other periods of downtime that we've had in past months. The cunningly astute will also have fathomed that the site is now open; however as far as I am aware, Big Zee (the owner of this site) did not notice (that means we chickened out).

Personally, and some of you may feel rightly so, I've received some messages off-site about the change—majority hateful and vulgar. It continues to surprise me that people are so willing to go out of their way to curse and moan, when they wouldn't go even half as far to say nice things.

Now on to why we (that's right, it was Jeff and I who did it—no-one else and certainly not this*) closed down the forum. As the song goes:
We're no strangers to love.
You know the rules and so do I.
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of.
You wouldn't get this from any other guy.
I love TalkFreelance, in a strange kind of way. It's not rational, putting in hours every day banning spammers, deleting posts, being nice to folks, being part of the (really, very small) community, etc.. All logical sense says that this place is a waste of time, even the owner cannot care to spend any time here and the number of really very rubbish posts (compared to quality discussion) has increased dramatically over time. Yet, I'm still here: the small moderating team is still here (thanks jm, Vizon!). We care.

Over a long time, we have had community members asking where the owner is (many don't even know who the owner is!). Everyone agrees, it's a crying shame that he isn't here. The staff will not push the site to what it can be (what it used to be, perhaps) without an active owner. Not that we're unwilling, just what is the point? There's a line I've been sitting on for a very long time: looking after the daily upkeep of the site (because, to the best of my knowledge no-one else would). Anything more has been off the books because, as I pointed out in a recent discussion, this isn't my yard to play around in. Without the yes/no from the bloke in charge, I just don't feel comfortable making any significant changes. Even the small changes, which perhaps people haven't noticed, I've deliberated over for some time.

This could go on for a long time, so perhaps it's better to wrap things up. The closure was simply a small effort to bring attention to the entire community's misgivings over Big Zee not being around: over not having an active site owner. Sure, we could've posted yet another ignored discussion topic, sent another ignored email, etc.. As far as I'm aware, even this message went ignored.

Now onto you. I'd like more input. People are generally much more vocal when there's something they're upset about than when there's something they're thankful for. I'd like to use that to my, our, advantage and hear what you all have to say on this topic of an absent owner, and perhaps what we could, should or just might do as a result (if nothing, that's fine too).

Regards,
Salathe

P.S. If you're thinking of replying just to flame, may I ask you in advance to stop and perhaps form a more constructive point of discussion. Thanks.

04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
JamieH is offline JamieH
Software:

JamieH is on a distinguished road

Old

I thought what you did was right. Mainly because of the owner raking in the rewards from advertisements you staff members that are running the place are getting jack **** (or do you? Then that would be a little bit of a problem).

Just in it for the money i say. I'm glad it's back up now though missed it a little!

Oh and i must say, i ****ed myself when i saw it! What a tune!

04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I think there are a few options that would have resulted in a message to Zee, and not us.

Specifically removing all adverts giving him income. I am sure he'd notice that.

04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
jm is offline jm
Expertise:
Software:

jm is on a distinguished road

Old

Personally, I thought it was pretty hilarious. Although like Salathe said, I do love coming here, in a very strange way!

04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Robzeh is offline Robzeh
Expertise:
Software:

Robzeh is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Robzeh

Old

Maybe Zee will notice the drop in traffic/ad revenue over those 11 hours
Although I don't post much here, I do enjoy visiting It's like an addiction lol.

04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
solutions80 is offline solutions80
Software:

solutions80 is on a distinguished road

Old

It's a great place to be around. And I would hate to see it close (which I don't want in my worst dreams)

I promise to be around more.

P.S - Matter of factly - I thought the whole Big Zee thing was a joke. Never knew Big Zee existed. Lol

04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Conrad is offline Conrad
Software:

Conrad is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Conrad

Old

As JM and Salathe said, I also do enjoy coming here for some strange reason, maybe a habit by now or what but I find myself here everyday. I think its wrong for Zee to take the rewards for not working on the site at all. Although I can't imagine the rewards being that high, a possible reason why Zee left it ( taking it as a loss and getting what he can from it ) but that is me just assuming.

I will continue to come untill the day it is offline most likely and would support it in any fight but think there needs to be a change in ownership to bring it back above water

04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
As JM and Salathe said, I also do enjoy coming here for some strange reason, maybe a habit by now or what but I find myself here everyday. I think its wrong for Zee to take the rewards for not working on the site at all. Although I can't imagine the rewards being that high, a possible reason why Zee left it ( taking it as a loss and getting what he can from it ) but that is me just assuming.

I will continue to come untill the day it is offline most likely and would support it in any fight but think there needs to be a change in ownership to bring it back above water
I use adblock, so Zee doesn't make a penny off of me.

The ads still displayed, so I don't exactly see what the point of all this was. Zee stops by every three months or so, the chances are pretty low he would notice this. I don't really care that the forum was closed, I just think it was ineffective.

04-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

Aww, you took it down…

04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Kalle is offline Kalle
Expertise:
Software:

Kalle is on a distinguished road

Old

Howdy

Even though I don't post much around TFL, and as some of you may know that I'm an administrator over at CT (I do know that TFL and CT never played nicely together), however we sort of had the similar matter where Vineet and previously other major contributors to our community who held the keys went missing in action. Ofcourse having an inactive site owner can be a bad thing, but this also opens another chance to the current staff of the site to take some sort of ownership, as you can run the site "just as you like it", with respect to the previous decisions ofcourse. Now I don't know Zee, but I'm more than sure hes happy that someone would like to run his site, as long he keeps the server going by the advertisment income, and perhaps even pay for some events or site upgrades. But all in all, I think you should (if you havn't already) taken more ownership and try to sail the ship in a right direction, the more you let people take ownership in something they helped build or maintain gives a good a good feeling (hormones). So responding in a negative manner here wasn't perhaps the best thing to do, but that is your choice and your community =)

/rant

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 >